No announcement yet.

Hash talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrape your stash jar or get a grinder with a kief catcher.
    I would say anything with a screen will work. Bubble bags can be used for dry sift which does not need to dry out like ice water hash and you do not need to deal with dry ice.
    Realize you do not make hash from weed. You make kief from weed and hash from kief.
    Dry kief from dry sift or dry ice needs to be heated and pressed to make hash.
    Ice water kief can be pressed so you have kief that is easy to handle but has not been given a heated hash treatment.
    I've pressed bud and kief one time each. That is the easiest product I have extracted. But it is also the most wasteful and needs a big-honkin' press.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Farmbuck asked me to process his hash as I have processed my rosin with the winterization/gravitation thing I just did and I am curious.
      How about it? Dissolve hash in alcohol. Freeze it real frozen. Put it on a filter. Add gravity. Evaporate the alcohol. That is pretty much RSO without having to soak an entire plant. We're talking working grams in jars at a time with little mess instead of ounces in buckets with lots of mess.
      You wouldn't waste the hash. Hash is perfect and cannot be improved on. Gingerbeard is a fool. Fine. I get you. Let's just talk about what I'm talking about. Eyes on the prize.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you freeze yours in a freezer for safekeeping for a couple of years ? I do and take my word you don't loose much potency out of it. Here is my timeline : curing flowers for 2-4 months, making hash, curing Hash for 3-12 months in a mason jars in a dark control room inside of a oak box, freeze for several years in a sealed tight jar. But remember I learned from the best and is name is Frenchy. So much to learn and so few years left to make my perfect ball.

• Smallgrow
        Smallgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        If you wrap your temple balls in natural cellophane and put them in a mason jar somewhere, as long as it’s not above room temperature they should keep for years without freezing. I don’t think the potency loss will be any different.
        Im pretty sure they didn’t have freezers in Afghanistan and India where Master French spoke of 10yr aged hash he was able to sample back in the day.
        It’s the removal of almost all moisture content during drying that allows for long term storage without freezing

Is there an improved or better method of using isopropyl than in a QWISO approach? I have 4 litres of 99.9% iso in the freezer and want to use it this grow on the bud trim.
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Perfectionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !! Now try this young Ginger.

Using Frency's hot wine bottle tek to make a malleable hash. The only input material you need is either bubble hash or dry sift.
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
        12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          I refuse to press down on hot-water-pressurized glass bottle.
          My alternative is a kief press in warmed hot water.

• Smallgrow
          Smallgrow commented
          Editing a comment
          I would recommend care with the bottle , but I have done it dozens of times now and never a problem. You really don’t need to press down on it very much the weight of the bottle is almost enough. I do splash a small amount of water in the bottle at the beginning to warm up the glass and don’t fill it to the very top

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          My fears are completely irrational. I know that. But they keep me warm at night.
          A metal bottle would work just as well.

I'm looking for extraction methods using isopropyl that get better results than quick wash iso
        Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
        Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
        Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
        Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

Safekeeping? It's drugs, man! Drugs are for use FB. You are talking wine. Safekeeping means keeping it safe from someone stealing it. I don't worry about that because people know I share. Is someone stealing your stash? Want me to go have a talk? Or are you talking RCMP?
          If it stays lit in the bowl, it is ready. If the resin don't sizzle, it is ready.
          I'll modify an old surf adage to your perfect hash ball quest. May you never roll your perfect ball. After that, nothing will ever get better.
          The movie Samurai with Tom Cruise and that Japanese guy who dies at the end. The dying Japanese guy spends a lifetime of looking for the perfect cherry blossom. At the end he realizes that all cherry blossoms are perfect.​
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            Just looking for a quality extraction using iso, not Tom Cruise recommendations

There is a tradeoff making QWISO as there is with any extraction method Bluey . The longer your material sits in solvent, the more will be stripped. I saw a video where the people kept harping on the Q. The ISO should do nothing more than pass over your material into whatever collection container you have. The not quick ISO is RSO where plant matter is soaked for hours or days.
          If you do it too quick, you miss stuff. If you do it too slow you get stuff you do not want from the plant.
          Seems to me there is no need to freeze alcohol unless you plan to winterize. Bud is frozen to harden trichomes so they break off plant matter, stay firm, and don't stick. Solvents literally melt trichomes to remove them from plant matter. Same-same with nug smashing. Freezing the alcohol will make it harder to dissolve the trichomes. Another something I read explained the warmer the alcohol, the quicker and better the trichomes were dissolved.
          My best quality QUISO product process would be room temperature ISO over whole nugs for a couple seconds. Winterize the solution. Filter. That is a whole lot of time and waste for a small return but will have the least by-product.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep the ISO @ -20⁰C simply for better storage. It degrades fast if not perfectly sealed at room temp.

I'll be doing trim. Buds are too valuable in my mind to be messing around with iso when I've never done this before. I can get plenty more iso so happy to experiment with pour overs as well as the quick shake method and then through the paper coffee filter and then evaporate off the iso in a baking tray or similar.

I've smoked hash quite a few times but not in the last 25 years and wanted to revisit the experience and I'll have too much trim to store it.

Here my last run with the Green Thai that I grew on my roof untill it snowed last fall.
          The hash turned out decent, the plants weren’t that potent so the hash isn’t crazy either
          The second time I used my hash washer instead of a drill, it is a much nicer way to do it.
          Ive messed around with all the bags like in the pic below from an earlier run, but I’ve settled on using 190 bag to catch the garbage, then 160, then straight to 45 which is my work bag,
          so it’s a full spectrum. Plus less bags less hassle
          KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
          Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
          Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
          Maybe some compost teas
          Blumat watering system
          Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
          3x4x6’ tent
          Photontek 465wpro
          6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
          Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I did what you have going on. The biggest dig is the scene you setup with the snow in the background. All I see out my windows are concrete and houses with ugly trees. Yes, there are ugly trees.
            I want everything you have going on there, but storage and workspace are limited to what is basically a large motorhome. I use the gallon size bags and buckets.

• Smallgrow
            Smallgrow commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I’m totally lucky to have what I have. An expansive cold room for production is handy too, although I’ll admit I only wash out there and the rest of the production I do in the warm. Having a wife that puts up with all the gear and even helps is also a bonus.
            My problem is time, I work all the time, so I never have as much as I would like.
            I’ve learned to do hash and post harvest drying during the cold months so I don’t have to run the AC during the drying period and can just pull free cold air.
            To dry the hash before press its best to have 13c (55f) for a week or so , that amounts to a lot of AC if it’s warm.

Just read the Ed Rosenthal tincture method in a post on the main site.
          Soak ground weed in water for 90 minutes to help leech out chlorophyl. It's Ed and I have to give a master his dues but getting rid of all that extra water sounds like a pain in the ass. In my experience, moisture is the bane of marijuana extraction. Necessary, at times, but a pain in the ass to get rid of what you don't want.
          I see where he is coming from. Something I alluded to in this first post was what to do with the water when making bubble hash. The water is super dark from the first wash and it gets lighter as it goes. I can see this playing a roll in quality. The final washes will have the purest trichomes with the least chlorophyl.
          My take is getting rid of chlorophyl.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, brown water. Not green. I've always thought the brown color of the water was the dried chlorophyl. Am I wrong?

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know, but if you cure your buds first the chlorophyll will break down.

I'm reading about making different types of hash and what I getting from the different processes us that the darker it is the more plant material in it.

• Smallgrow
            Smallgrow commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes darker green is usually more plant matter(contaminants), I can always see in the latter washes the patties of hash go from tan to green.
            With bubble hash at least, the age of the bud/trim, indoor or outdoor, and trichome colour (ripeness) can really make a difference too. From light tan to dark dark brown

In this round of processing, I used the driest bud I have ever used. The color, taste, and smell are the same as I have ever made.
          I'm cool with it in bud and hash. But the taste of dabbing C is off-putting.
          Of course, my ultimate is the cleanest resin I can make. Of course, the folks who put out what I buy (and want to make) have more equipment than I will ever have and use solvents I do not care to use.
          In resin, the darker the product the fuller the spectrum. It is like beer. Original beer had stuff in it that made it more of a meal than party fare. You got something out of it. Then people started refining the beer so it is more about getting messed up than nutrition.
          Anything we make just ain't like the thing we made it from.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

1 decarbed gram of my stuff mixed with 4 tablespoons of salted butter as unsalted butter has no taste. Optic measure of honey until it looked tasty.
            Ate my Cheerios with a teaspoon of honey butter. Took the dog for a walk.
            I'm going to need for this to stop building. The peak needs to happen. Holy Jim Croce! I think my molecules are separating.
            I had originally decarbed the gram to make tincture. 120 proof booze is the highest I can source from walk-in liquor stores and stores that, online, have in stock. But in reality have to special order from somewhere else. With that cue, I'm talking to my liquor store guy about getting a special order of 151. Or not. Maybe. I don't know. I haven't had alcohol in better than 9 years and the thought of it makes me urpee. The tincture would be for a buddy who thought he would be starting chemo. Turns out it is not chemo, and his appetite will not be compromised.

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Best you keep your molecules separated

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the molecular elasticization entourage effect. The MEEE. Makes things touchier. If I had a stuffed animal I would be curled up with it.
              Dabber walks away from me if I get too touchy-feely.

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Dabber gers jealous sure

I guess just storing dry ice kief in a freezer would be ok, since it was frozen to begin with, though much colder than a freezer?

From my online research, it seems the Frenchy Cannoli tek doesn't really work with dry ice hash, it's too crumbly. But I imagine not having full melt may be better for a dry herb vape.

With hash brick molds, was wondering what would happen if I put that in an air fryer at 200F for maybe 20 minutes to decarb and melt everything, then pressed it in a hydraulic press. But if I'll just vape it, maybe decarbing it isn't necessary. Maybe I could just do the parchment paper+tape+wet newspaper method. But would like something easier in the long run.
            Last edited by o0644; 04-19-2024, 07:27 PM.
            First grow - 2 plants in soil - Auto Indica Hybrid Creme de la Chem - 2x2x4 tent indoor harvested, 1 in dry desert heat outdoor

Comment

• o0644
              o0644 commented
              Editing a comment
              There's something called static tek. With a paint roller and parchment paper? Combining this with dry ice might allow doing the frenchy tek.
              All the bubble bags on amazon had bad reviews, so I ended up buying silkscreen mesh. Polyester 160 micron. Depending on how much I get I may try doing both the frenchy method and pressing into a brick

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X