Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dphipps1020
    commented on 's reply
    So for a general idea on flower times, etc I go to this site... https://en.seedfinder.eu/ they don't have every strain since new strains come out every day seems like, but there's a majority of the main ones. Hopefully that helps at least a few questions you may have.

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    Dingus, that's a good idea. Unfortunately, my state is not so cool. Definitely limits the amount of people with similar interests. Maybe 2020 will be the year that changes, I sure hope so!

• DingusKhan
    commented on 's reply
    If you're in a bigger city where it's easy to meet other growers, especially others on GWE, AND if you live in a legal state, AND, (most importantly) you know other growers that you trust; you could give them away.

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    I only bought feminized seeds so I really hope I have zero males. I hope they all look good but then I'm still going to only pick 4, even though I would want to keep as many as possibly. However, being that this is my first grow, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

As far as the buckets, I'd love to find a better option for ease of elevating them. I thought about small ironing boards, countertop sized. I just didn't think they would hold the weight. They also make small tabletop jacks for labs but anything that would support the weight, you're paying big bucks. I'll have to recruit my better half, she can help with some lifting and shimming if and when it comes time.

• Farmall
    replied
    NickyChicks agree with everyone... From my own experience, I can’t toss viable growing seedlings and started 14 last summer thinking along those same lines..they all grew but 1 AND ..it took nearly 5 months to finally clear out the tent. In fact, had to add another and it still is running flower. It’s like it never ends. I am honestly looking forward to cleaning up a bit. That plan only works if your ready to selectively cull any of them as your genetics sound good and barring any males what if they ALL look great?

your ideas of elevating buckets is a good one but just have something aside in case you need to cover a bigger spread like 10-12” and that it’s light enough to move in place. Those buckets will weigh 25-30 lbs depending on fluid level. Hunched over in a tent is a hard way to work but Green crack is a winner. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Tersky
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like you thought of that which is something i didnt when i first started! As long as you have a solution it's all good. Just thought id mention it!

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    That makes total sense, it was a variable I took into consideration. I couldn't find a clear answer for each strain so ultimately I went with similar flowering times. The green crack is had a slightly longer flowering time than the other 3 but I really wanted to grow it. So other than plant training, I'm prepared to be able to adjust the height of the base of each container to avoid stretching and a massive height difference between strains. I was thinking once I move them into individual buckets, I would be able
    to shim underneath each bucket as needed with squares of plywood or something similar. Just seemed like the most cost effective option.

• Tersky
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds good! Just one thing to consider is plant height. Different strains grow at different paces and to different heights so try and make sure the strains you do keep are all close to the same height genetically. For example mixing tall sativas and short bushy indicas can cause the indica to not get enough light or stretch as the sativas are taller which limits how low you can have your light. Yes plant training helps but it's easier to manage tent space and light height if they are similar. Hope this makes sense, just smoked lol.

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks I'm excited, I know there's still a lot to learn

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent NickyChicks poster child for newbies..great start and write up. Way to go learning few of the basic needs for getting started it's so refreshing LOL sounds like you'll be up and running in no time. Welcome to the forum and look forward to watching your grow. I'm not hydro but enjoy these grows. Good luck

• NickyChicks
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NickyChicks
    replied
    It's been a couple weeks since I posted, but I started germinating my seeds on 12/27. Today I put them into rapid rooters in the tent. I germinated 10 seeds with the goal of keeping 4 plants. It kind of feels like a waste but I wanted to give myself the best chance of ending up with healthy, strong plants. Plus, seedsman gave me a bunch of free seeds when I ordered, I think I got more free seeds than ones I paid for. Anyways, I have 3 white widow(seedsman), 3 green crack (garden of green), 2 northern lights(00 seeds) , and 2 chocolate kush(00 seeds). All of the popped open, the GC and WW much quicker than the others.
    I temporarily have them under (4) T8 florescent bulbs until my new light kit comes in. I ordered originally the 600w iPower kit from Amazon. Everything looked good but I didn't test it out until yesterday. When I unpacked the ballast and it sounded like a rattle. I shook a bunch of tiny little broken plastic pieces out of it. Figured I'd test it out anyways, it turned on but the MH didn't turn on, tried the HPS and it worked. So I got a busted ballast and a blown MH in the same kit. I'm returning it and I ordered the vivosun 600w kit and it'll be here Friday. That ordeal persuaded me to check out a local hydroponic supply shop today, which was awesome. Tiny shop, large hemp greenhouses out back lol. The dude was real cool and I ended up buying a used Harvest Pro Elite 600w ballast. He only wanted $100 and I know a new one is much more than that. Definitely much better quality than the one from the kit.
    Once the plants get big enough and I pick which 4 I'm keeping, I'll move them from (2) 12gal reservoirs into their own 5gal reservoirs.
    I'm going to try and post pictures as I go.
    Last edited by NickyChicks; 12-31-2019, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah this setup is pretty intriguing, I'm going to look into it a little more today. Thanks!!

• Tersky
    commented on 's reply
    Oo yes TDS meter really helps dial in your nutes. I recommend for all growers using synthetic nutes esp in hydro.

• NickyChicks
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! That's pretty sweet, I may look into this setup a little more.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X