Quadlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadlining

I have had a few people asking me about how I've been training my plants, so I figured I would make a thread that goes through each step. Most of my journals are just focused on if they are healthy or not, and pics of them every week.

I'll cover the two terms I will be discussing, and then it will be story time lol.

QUADLINING (I previously referred to this as a "double mainline") - Leaving just 2 nodes on when the plant has about 4-6 nodes. (I normally leave the 2nd and 3rd node on, but I see people on other sites leave the 3rd and 4th nodes on with good results).

MAINLINING - Leaving only a single node on when the plant has about 4-6 nodes.

Story time!

I started mainlining autos after seeing green75's thread on how to do it. He also has YouTube videos on how he does it, so if a video helps you get the idea better than pics, then YouTube green75 and I'm sure you'll find what you need for mainlining an auto.

My yields slightly improved using this technique. I was ranging anywhere from 2 to 5 oz per plant, and was pretty happy with it.

The reason I bring up mainlining an auto is because it is what brought me to quadlining an auto. On a previous grow I decided to leave an extra node on to see how the plant would grow. I ended up with 9.8 oz off one auto, and I was ecstatic.

I couldn't be sure if it was the strain, the seed, or the quadline that got me those results, so the next grow I did an experiment. My experiment seemed to agree with my guesstimate that quadlining indeed gave better yields than mainlining.

So far I have quadlined 3 plants. My yields have been 9.8 oz, 4 oz, and 24.78 oz (this last one was a freak of nature. I wouldn't expect a 1.5 lbs per plant every time lol).

It just so happens that I'm starting training for 2 of my plants, so what a good time to show everyone the process step by step.

I have already removed the first node (coytledons do not count as a node), and I took the coytledons off too. I have heard that you aren't supposed to take off the coytledons, but I have done it on every single plant and have never had anything bad happen to the plant because of it.

Today, I took the top node off of the White widow CBD. She's a bit bigger than the bubba cheese, and the timing seemed right to take the top node off. Once the 3rd nodes branches get a little bigger, I will start training them down. So all that's left on the White widow CBD is the 2nd and 3rd nodes. Eventually, a birds eye view of the plant will look like an x.

I use 14 gauge electrical wire to stake the branches down. Make sure they are long enough to grab hold of the coco, or soil if thats what you're using. Sometimes I hear them ripping through roots as they are going in, but it doesn't seem to affect the plants overall health.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH TO BE GENTLE WHEN BENDING AND STAKING DOWN BRANCHES. Otherwise you might end up with a triline lol. Just lightly bend them back and forth until they feel more pliable. Then gently stake them down.

Here is where I am currently with these 2 plants. I'll update through the whole training period so people can see how it turns out.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

This is before any cutting on the White Widow CBD
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	659.9 KB ID:	287357

After taking the coytledons and the first node
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	643.0 KB ID:	287358

Before taking the 4th node
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	504.8 KB ID:	287359

After taking the 4th node
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	494.9 KB ID:	287360

Now it's a waiting game for a bit.
    Last edited by Doubledealing72; 01-28-2019, 10:09 AM.
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Hey, great info. This is what I've done with my latest grow. and so far, so good. I have about 4 weeks to go and each plant has about 12 to 14 main colas. My only problem is that I should have trimmed a lot more down low so i have a lot of bushiness and some minor branches that will be larf. I'm ok with this as I'll make a tincture with that stuff. I need to be a bit more decisive and disciplined when trimming early on to avoid a messy bush. next time

overall, though I think it will be a larger yield than my previous 2 grows.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your plants are looking great Cronk! Eager to see how they finish!

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

• SwitchH2O
      SwitchH2O commented
      Editing a comment
      “I need to be a bit more decisive and disciplined when trimming early on to avoid a messy bush.” …and that’s what she said!

I have an ONYX which I was planning on giving the quadline a try- she is only 1 week old.
    Nice looking plant and thread!

Yeah on the cotyledons.
    They are part of the seed- a "pot placenta",lol which unlikely serve any futher function once you have a plant.
    I don't think it matters what you do with them and superstition is often what causes growers to leave them on.

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      Very cool! Feel free to post pics on this thread as you go along too!

Great info ty
    640 watt hlg quantum board
    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
    150 watt hlg quantum board
    100 watt spider farmer led x2
    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
    Water only i don't check ph
    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome! I hope it helps at least a few people!

Thanks for this info - how far away do you hang you cobs?
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Editing a comment
      During seedling/veg stage around 24 inches. Once they hit flower, I go about 18 inches. They've been as close as 12 inches before, but I don't like them that close if I can help it

hi mcubed,

i've currently got a plant that a quadlined
    borrowed your idea

trimmed it yesterday...
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      You have to be using silica to get those thick trunks? What brand and dosage?

That's a nice looking plant FDP! Keep us updated on how she turns out from here!
    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Today was a great day to post some before and after pics. I opened the tent to find a few of the girls branches that were staked down had pulled themselves up. This happens when the stake isn't far enough down in the coco to get a good bite, and/or when the plant is really strong (and they certainly can be!)

On the White widow CBD, the branch on the bottom that I had pulled itself up, and it was already really stiff. This took a good 5 minutes of slowly bending this branch to get it close to where I wanted it.

I took a close up of where it meets the main stem, and it's really hard to tell, but it started splitting from the main. It's a very small tear, which happens sometimes and I'm not too worried about. I imagine it will be a slightly bigger tear when I check on it tonight, but as along as it's still mostly attached, it should be good.

I started training the top 2 stems on bubba cheese. She is looking really good overall.

In the next few days, I will probably end up removing the really big fan leaves on both of these plants. Just something I have always done when they get to be around this stage of growth.

Have a great day everyone, and stay warm.

Bubba cheese Before
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190131_152346019-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4189
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	288208

Name:	IMG_20190131_152353820-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4056
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	288207

Bubba Cheese after

Name:	IMG_20190131_152843591-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4086
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	288212

White widow CBD before

Name:	IMG_20190131_152413581-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4019
Size:	522.5 KB
ID:	288209

White widow CBD after, along with close up of split from main stem

Name:	IMG_20190131_153330771-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4075
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	288211

Name:	IMG_20190131_153345241-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4096
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	288210
      Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Question; are you still only looking for the 8 colas in the end or are you doing 16, or something different? thanks
        3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
        New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
        Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
        5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• Doubledealing72
          Editing a comment
          I don't have a set number of colas that I'm looking for. Once I take off nodes 1,4, and 5 I just let it grow out. On this grow, I have taken a few lower branches off of the bubba Kush (I have one going currently that's older than these 2 right now), but in the past I haven't taken anything off other than the nodes discussed above.

this is one of the next grow plants I started with a four way ,I think that if you start with alot of kolas you finish with alot of bud ,Your yields are impressive
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Doubledealing72
          Editing a comment
          Thanks OJH, I really appreciate the kind words! I have to wonder how my gorilla glue auto would have done if I had gotten rid of a decent amount if larf bud. Would the main colas have made up for the yield lost from the under brush? It would be cool to go back in time and try that way, but I don't have that technology yet lol.

Your plant looks so cool! I really like how spread out it all is!

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          yes the top buds will make up for the Larf ,I have a buddy that has 4 foot plants with nothing below 20 inches and he has massive 20 inch kolas

I went to check in on the girls today, and I noticed I pushed a few branches to their breaking point lol. One of the top nodes on the bubba cheese looked like it was starting to die. I looked to where it meets up with the main stem and saw that it was almost severed off completely. I'm gonna monitor it for a few days before I decide to pull it off and call it a triline lol. I've found that they can rip pretty bad and still make a recovery.

I inspected the White widow CBD that had a little tear in it from the last post, and it got a little bigger, but not horrible.

I started putting more stakes in to secure the branches that grew out farther from the main stem. In hindsight, I probably should have put multiple stakes on the branches the first time. I believe it would have alleviated the stress on one point and probably would not have ripped the branch on the bubba cheese as badly. This is a good time to reiterate that you should bend the branches gently, and not push them to rip if you can help it lol. Still something I'm trying to master lol.

Anyway, here they are in all their glory so far.

White Widow CBD before and after

Bubba Cheese (the first pic here is a duplicate of the white widow. Picked the wrong pic and can't delete it for some reason lol)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190202_103932893_HDR-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	417.7 KB ID:	288810Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190202_105035308-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	850.3 KB ID:	288811
        Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Just a quick update. I originally started the previous post yesterday afternoon, but didn't post it until about 15 minutes ago. I went to check on them when I got out of work, and the severed branch from the bubba cheese could not be saved. So now I have a triline lol. I bent the bottom main stems away from the top, now single, stem to promote air flow and space. We shall see how it goes lol.

Name:	IMG_20190203_050331904_HDR-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	3944
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	288823

Name:	IMG_20190203_050340339-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	3870
Size:	905.2 KB
ID:	288824
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            I've used tape before with good results, but this one was sadly too far split to help.

Thanks daas, excited to see it at harvest day!

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the same thing to a couple of mine

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            OJH - I grew a bloody skunk auto mainline style (just one node), and ended up snapping one of the main branches off. It only had one branch on it lol. Wasn't the greatest plant, yield or flavor lol.

The plants are continuing to grow, and I am continuing to stake them down as they do. I now have most of the side branches staked as well at this point, and will stake the rest down when they are big enough.

The top node on the Bubba Cheese has a good sized gash where it meets up with the main stem, but still seems to be surviving. Normally, if they have an open wound, I wont put anymore pressure on them. If I have to, I won't stake them at all to help them heal.

The white widow CBD is looking pretty good.

Both plants are showing hairs and are 28 days old. My original theory on autoflowers was the more stress you put on them, the longer they would take to flower. This is not the case anymore lol.

Bubba cheese
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061753573-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	487.0 KB ID:	289672

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061713463-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	602.3 KB ID:	289673

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061729433-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	649.7 KB ID:	289674

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061805146-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	518.4 KB ID:	289675

White Widow CBD - This one is an ideal quadline. A flat, even canopy. It doesn't have to be completely flat, the branches can have a slight incline (in fact, I would probably break less branches if I did).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061830296-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	744.7 KB ID:	289676

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061819131-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	823.4 KB ID:	289677

Here's a pic of the stem on my Bubba Kush, 58 days. You can see quite the flesh wound on top of the branch that healed up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061922654-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	381.8 KB ID:	289678

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_061906913_HDR-1382x1843.jpg Views:	1 Size:	615.9 KB ID:	289679

Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Cronk
            Cronk commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know about Autos but with photos I try to get a solid training adjustment in when the stretch starts because once the start to go they will turn wild. I keep trimming and lst as they stretch so I don't lose control. I always do anyway, though

• Weed Pharma
            Weed Pharma commented
            Editing a comment
            Doubledealing72, Are you just removing large fan leaves or traditional (to extreme) mainline defoliation!
            Last edited by Weed Pharma; 02-08-2019, 06:25 AM.

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            Weed Pharma Not sure how missed this question way back when lol. I normally take the big leaves off, and try to get any that are blocking bud sites. Once the plant reaches a certain stage into flower (probably a week after the stretch is done), I don't defoliate as much.

In previous grows, I was a more aggressive defoliator, but I've cut back a bit lately.

"Botanical Bondage"- I'm in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0069.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	289943 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	3917
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	290847 3 days later, a little defoliation.
          Day #17 above ground- This auto (ONYX) had a rough transplant (too early) and has just begun to grow well.
          A healthy plant growing 3'-4' (untrained) and a long flowering time (9-10 weeks)- should give it the best shot!

Last edited by Weed Pharma; 02-10-2019, 06:50 PM. Reason: follow up pic
          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            Looking like a good start weed pharma!

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            looking good weedpharma your going to have fun

I'm getting close to the end of training. The branches are nearing the end of the pot, so I'm running out of room to stake lol. Almost all the inner branches are staked down as well. I left a few unstaked because staking them would make for too many branches in one area. Leaves start piling on top of each other and mold and all that jazz.

​​​​​​Have a great day everyone

White Widow CBD

Name:	IMG_20190208_140824223-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4130
Size:	855.7 KB
ID:	290187

Name:	IMG_20190208_140833899-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4072
Size:	905.8 KB
ID:	290188

Bubba Cheese

Name:	IMG_20190208_140757004-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4116
Size:	812.8 KB
ID:	290190

Name:	IMG_20190208_140818281_HDR-1382x1843.jpg
Views:	4021
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	290189
          Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            So lovely, mccubed!!!

• Doubledealing72
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Canuck! I thought about doing that, but I decided against it. I may revisit it in the future though!

Thanks ATU! Yours are looking really good too!

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use those plant lifters under my girls I run that soft green wire around a hole then up to the plant my girls are around 3 feet across

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X