Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harvest by trichome color questions

good morning GWE.

watching my trichomes closely now with daily pics, hps off. still looks 70% clear to me at bloom week 8.5.

i know WHAT it is im looking for, i just dont know if im looking PROPERLY.

1. are there particular places on the buds i should be focusing on when estimating trichome stage percentages?

2. what is a good ratio of tops per plant to inspect when averaging out those percentages?

maybe someone could also tell me a little about the timeline involved in trichome maturation.
    trichs been hanging at about the same stage for a good week since ive been really watching.
    is it one of those things that just turn on and happen over a few days? or do they just slowly steadily progress until the end?

pics taken today bloom week 8.5
    random tops throughout the canopy

enjoy ur sunday GWE!

What Nebula told me was to look at buds in the middle because some of those closest to the light may get cloudy earlier than the others due to heat stress. Your hairs look mostly brown but I agree there are a lot of clear trichs. You could consider increasing the amount of time they spend in the dark which I hear may speed things up. Do you know what this strain's timeline usually is?

Comment

I have the same questions. I can't take as good of close ups but I can see similar with my loop. Hope you find the answers. Your pictures look great! How do you get that isolated look with the black background?
      Last edited by Jeg; 04-23-2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Jeg
        Jeg commented
        Editing a comment
        Too easy

• intergalactic_harvester
        intergalactic_harvester commented
        Editing a comment
        not with the fans blowin em. lol

• Jeg
        Jeg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm here right now. Lights out in 30 min. I'll give it a try. Clearing a path now my whole room goes black.

hi newf, and thanks for the reply.
      breeder timeline is 7 to 9 weeks bloom. harvest window should open any time now. thats good feedback, was actually thinking going 11/13 tonight, just hard to decide which end of the clock to adjust, lol.
      and the reference to nebulas thoughts sounds logical enough.
      if they are going to mature like a wave from the center of the canopy outward, is that right? means im gonna have to find that golden zone to get a good average over the whole garden. im a total bud snob now, unashamedly so, and im not harvesting unflushed buds. i can get those at the store! so harvesting in stages DWC iznt an option. thats where pots would have an advantage.
      thanks again, great feedback!
      Last edited by intergalactic_harvester; 04-23-2017, 02:16 PM. Reason: misdirect lol

Comment

I have found it easier to check the tricomes condition when the light is more behind them than in front or above. I do not use the flash because it reflects back obscuring the image.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Editing a comment
          good call. thank you!

• Jeg
          Jeg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can loupe in natural light it gives an honest answer I think

You made it sound so simple. I'll figure it out eventually

Comment

Editing a comment
          nah, those shots are great. i can see just fine we are at the same spot. saw a few more cloudy ones on yours tho i think!
          your buds are awesome! thick and frosty. nice work.

• Jeg
          Jeg commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess I'm just waiting to see some amber. No idea when though. Thanks for the compliment, right back at you! I've wanted to do this since I was a teenager.

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your plant looks great! Nice job!

those are great pics Intergalactic in the 2nd picture right in the middle just below the center line there is a green spot their seems to be an amber color ,I use a hand held microscope so its easier to see but can't take pics. I try to harvest with 30% amber . Well I start to flush with 30% percent amber.
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Editing a comment
          hi jarhead,
          you start flush at 30% amber. what medium you using? how long you flush? and where does ur final amber count average?

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          I grow in coco/perlite and I flush for two watering first with floracleen then with fresh phed water , I think the floraclean removes the salt but it will knock you ph down and then fresh water so the plant uses all remaining nutes . I have not really looked at the trichomes after I made the decision to harvest . leaves room for self doubt lol

Editing a comment
          lol, good info dude, thanks!

I have trouble telling the difference between clear and cloudy with my handheld microscope (too jittery) so I wait for a few amber to show up before harvest. Everyone says buds put on more weight the last couple of weeks before harvest so I don't want to cut grow off too soon!! I like more of a head high so I harvest at about 10% amber. This is the hardest time for growers, watching...waiting...
        DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
        315 LEC
        6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
        6" Carbon filter
        3- 6" fans
        humidifier
        temp and humidity gauge
        5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
        FF trio nutrients

Comment

Editing a comment
          oh man, you got that right!

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          PuravidaC try snipping a nug off a bud and put it on a bench to stabilize it it helps alot and you get to try it after it is true its better to harvest a week late than a week early

• PuravidaC
          PuravidaC commented
          Editing a comment
          OJH, I found an old child's telescope when cleaning out basement and tried the eye piece, backwards. Doesn't have the magnification of microscope but enough to see trichomes with a wider field of view and no jitters. I still like doing what you suggest with harvested buds for "close up" look. Our labor of love is a cool looking plant under magnification!

How's yours looking today

Comment

• Jeg
          Jeg commented
          Editing a comment
          My bad. I was asking about yours but I like hearing from anyone. Mine hasn't changed except that I come in to new white pistils? every morning. Do you know if they keep coming in right up to harvest? No change in trichs

Editing a comment
          new pistils part of tbe process. cycles of pistils and then flowers seem to swell around them, then do it again. supposed to slow down towards the end. just means dont chop yet, lol.
          no acceleration of trich development noticable yet, but 2 cycles 11/13 show noticeable acceleration in bulk for sure!

• Jeg
          Jeg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the knowledge man. I feel like we are on similar schedules. I read 5 little beans last week while on vacation and our scenarios have been eerily the same. I actually blew up one of those red liquid thermometers in the beginning by trying to warm up area with spaceheater. I've been pretty clumsy with mine especially in the veg stage and then I found y'all. Rather than post my on thread I can just read what the pros are telling you and run with it.

Finally got one from deep within. Thanks for the pic tips guys
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jeg; 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Editing a comment
          wow tbat made a differece! buds look awesome. youve done a great job this far!

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Great pics, Jeg!!!

I feel like this is a good thread for anyone new who is getting close to harvest. I don't think IH will mind me hijacking it for a minute so I don't have to start a new one. I personally think these are still clear. Am I wrong? Is this cloudy? Definitely not amber. I am being patient and will not jump the gun as long as I have y'all guiding me.

Comment

ah bro, you aint hijackin shit. i threw it out to the forum, it belongs to all of us!

what i see in ur pic is a good 40%. you are on the eve of ur window, being 50% cloudy. found myself in the same spot this morning!

have a good one bro

Comment

• Jeg
            Jeg commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol.....that's all I got!

Editing a comment
            well, i know my eyes aint the best these days, and it looks like you got ur hps on which can really distort things even indirectly...
            but ya. thats all you got. HAHAHAHA!!!

smoke a fatty and relax. and if you have to... ztay the fk outta the tent!

and if you really really gotta, cut a sample!

• Jeg
            Jeg commented
            Editing a comment
            IH, so hard to put reactions into words for me. When you posted that "ain't hijacking shit!" I busted out laughing. I had to say so but that's all I could say/all I got. I'm currently out so no big fatty for me, I'm trying hard not to cheat and pinch a bud, and because of my unique situation if I'm at work I have no choice but look at her. She's always staring at me, so I stare back! Thanks for the levity during these trying times.

There's some FRICKIN AWESOME bud and trichome pics here!!
          I'm at the same stage as you fellas. Anxiously waiting. Wanting to start flushing. But holding myself back. Haha.
          We all on the verge of some AWESOME smoke. =D
          Originally posted by 420n808
          If you are new to growing, the first time you see the balls, you'll never forget the sight. You will know M-F from that point on.

Oh my days, now that this has happened to me... SO TRUE!!!

Comment

On the verge..... of something amazing...
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

mornin all. gotta get to work here, but i wanna share this real quick...

i got ambers!!!
              just a few showed up. definately a little over 50% cloudy, the harvest window is officially open!!!

with all 5 plants in 1 reservoir, i have to flush all at once. so i divided them into 3 zones like a bullseye. when zone 2 is right where i want it, i will flush. hopefully this will average everything out as best i can.

gonna cut a taster soon. when i get to it.

have a great mornin!

Comment

Editing a comment
                ya, lots of trim, lol. after the work of trimming some 150+ smaller tops, i probly never keep side growth again scroggin mature plants!!!

• Jeg
                Jeg commented
                Editing a comment
                You're drying now?

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                REALLY EXCELLENT pictures of the trichomes, harvester!! How did you take them?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X