Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal # of Plants, What constitutes as a plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal # of Plants, What constitutes as a plant?

Hi everyone!

As some of you may know, Canada is moving towards the legalization of cannabis for recreational use. They have been talking about allowing 4 plants to be grown for personal consumption on your own up to a height of 100cm/3ft. So living in Canada, I've been growing just over a year now, the laws currently do not allow for personal cultivation. On the criminal code, having 6-200 plants is where you could be facing jail time. So, for the most part of my grows I've kept the number of plants I had at 5.

Now, my question is, when I'm taking clones from a mother plant and waiting for them to sprout, or say im starting a seed, when would a seed/clone be considered a 'plant'? It is like age of plant, how much has developed, whether or not it has a tap root, or a certain height...? Just incase anything were to happen, I can still say that I have 5 plants + 10 clones, or would they be considered 15 plants? Like is it just the pure detach off the mother to constitute a plant?

Another term I saw for personal cultivation was 'mature plant'. What exactly defines a mature plant? One that's switched to flowering, one with a certain # of leaves, or only when they begin to produce bud...? Just curious....

Hey there, check your local laws but in oregon "mature plants" are any size plant in any shape that's flowering. no sea of green in your garage for example!
    x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• holywater666
      holywater666 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the help!

Good question. I have the same concerns. I really don;t want to assume anything. The old licences were 5 plants per gram you were prescribed. So if you had a 2 gram/day script, you could grow 10 plants. And that was clones, veg, bud. 10. Split it what ever way you want. And that is coming from the mouth of the head of the task force assigned to check out whos being naughty. But.....that is where the change is coming from. I know people that have 25 gram a day license. That is 125 plants..........ok really? If I smoked 25g a day there wouldn't be anything going on. So you can guess where the extra was going. I think the Govt. is starting to clue in on how much can actually be produced by one plant. My guess is going to be that the medical licences are going to stay intact, for the time being, and the recreational grower with no medical license is going to be under the 4 plant guide lines. Back to the original question.
    What constitutes a plant????
    If you have the kind of luck that I do cloning, I had to take 18 cuttings to get 4 rooted clones. (I know, I know...I'm working on it!)
    So if those were considered plants, then of to the slammer I go. There will have to be a guideline that states what a plant is. X amount of inches tall, if its budding, if it even has roots or not.
    But I'm sure that with the way our Govt. has fucked everything else up since that dipshit became our Prime Minister, this will be no different. Those with the gold and the connections will be all right.
    Everyone else...Look out!!! My guess is there's still a great big grey area that will still be illegal.
    To be on the safe side, 2 cuttings, 1 vegging, and 1 in bud would be my advise. Or just do what you have always been doing and try not to get caught.
    Just my view on the situation.
    Growing Thunderstruck, 600w MH/HPS,

Comment

• holywater666
      holywater666 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmph. I guess that's the best answer that I'm going to get on this topic, at least until they finalize the bill for legalization. Thanks Herbal Warrior !

• Herbal Warrior
      Herbal Warrior commented
      Editing a comment
      Any time. I hate getting started on this topic because I get too wound up. I need a soap box to stand on. LOL!!!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I really don't believe that anyone is going to jail for having extra clones; and besides, who's coming to check on your number of plants? Big Brother's out there for sure, but he's not THAT intrusive.

The people making these laws don't have a clue about cannabis, but I think it's all to prevent what I referred to above as a warehouse-type situation where someone is clearly growing and selling. Ultimately, they will see that they can't regulate it any better than they could Prohibition alcohol, and all this bullshit will come to an end.

Prohibition only lasted 13 years... We've been dealing with this for decades, but the wall's about to come down, I'm convinced.

Once it's legalized, what are they going to do if you have more plants? Who's going to find out? It may be a law that prevents people from renting/buying a warehouse to stuff full of cannabis plants...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• holywater666
      holywater666 commented
      Editing a comment
      Once it becomes legalized for recreational use, you are allowed to grow a maximum of 4 plants no more than 100cm in height. But since I clone, veg, and flower to a perpetual harvest, i'm not sure when a cutting is considered a 'plant'

I live in Ma. where it is legal for rec use and I have a medical card . Im trying to cover all the bases Im being a covert as I can ,and this forum is the only place I talk about growing anything other than veggies.
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      BTB, don't do anything rash!!! There's a time to proclaim one's outlaw status, and a time to remain stealthy!!!!!

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with ya, OJH! I live in VA where ANY plant is considered "manufacture with the intent to distribute" so this is the only place I discuss growing. I do get tired of playing possum but with all the bad things that can happen in VA, losing house, savings account, etc., I prefer keeping a low profile. Being an old guy with grey hair, I do feel like I'm hiding in plain sight (at least that's what I keep telling myself)!!!

• CCisme
      CCisme commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive got mini veggie gardens all over inside w little grow lights to hide in plain sight of my younger kids, who are learning an amazing amount about growing everything. (They can even tell you the purpose of seed leaves.) We have Bonsai (idea rom the training), succulants, any veggie they want, and herbs for cooking and making into essential oils like lavendar (another plain sight idea I had to use the magic butter machine for) They are loving it and laying a garden plan for this summer.

holywater666 - In my Maine - the term used to define plant limits is:

"Mature marijuana plant. Mature marijuana plant means a harvestable female marijuana plant that is flowering."
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I differ in opinion on the donation- the only one's who can recover reasonable costs (by statue) are caregivers under the MMMP and of course licensed dispensaries.

The way the laws and rules are written- only those who follow the requirements are immune from prosecution and those who think they are being clever are not protected.
      Drug laws are always laws of inclusion- what you must do and only what is permitted- everything else is open to prosecution.
      (I have spent my entire career working with drug laws)

• Inuart88
      Inuart88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately the selling laws/ regulation won't be into effect till next year and yes I have thought about getting my care givers license. Then again people have been selling majiuanna way before the recreational laws came into effect. But also interesting story in press herald about the gifting thing just an fyi

• Marley
      Marley commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like our laws are pretty decent, considering legalization is still newish. Hopefully they'll relax even more over time.

What I'm really waiting for is federal legalization. It would be nice if I could enjoy the products of my work.

Good questions holywater666 . And what is a 40 inch tall plant? Is it the visible part we see, or does one include the root system below?
    I used to work for the Feds, and I know how they work (kinda). My opinion is that if you tell the gov't you are going to grow 4 plants a year, then someone will probably come around and check you out (Provincial Plant Police). BUT, if you say that you aren't growing any cannabis plants they're probably going to leave you alone.
    It's already a gong show, and will only get stupider.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Or... you can LST your plants so they never reach 40" in height!!!!!

007 commented
      Editing a comment
      Got a plant you've been vegging for 4 months, it's 11 feet wide and 34" tall LOL nailed it!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Now THAT'S called beating the law!!!

Has anyone seen my post to this discussion. Know I posted one but it has gone to neverland.
    It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
    Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
    Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Bikerstonrr it's one of 7 comments in response to OJH above
      Last edited by alltatup; 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM.

Are regulations being written by people with no experience with marijauna use and growing or is it a compromise to get more support from folks still on the fence? I am dumbfounded by statements made by our AG that sound like they come straight from Reefer Madness!!!
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes a buncha idiots to run this country...

So this is going to make you laugh. As of april 19th of this year, the MMPR and the MMAR and all that is medical marijuana was re-labeled in Canada, and is now the ACMPR, Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations. Now you have to be registered with them to have your medicinal grow licence. You are allowed 5 plants per gram you are prescribed. I have just received my new updated licence. There are no stipulations on height requirements or area coverage or anything like that. This is the good part. I'm prescribed over 5 grams/day. So that means I can have over 25 plants growing LEGALLY in any stage of growth. So that's 25 plants total. Again this doesn't answer the question of what about cuttings. I would have to gut my whole basement to be able to accommodate 25 plants and would't know what to do at harvest time. This is what makes me wonder who wrote the recreational laws? The medical side of it is........wonderful!!!! LOL!! It has to be renewed every year so see where this year takes me I guess. Just thought I would share that because I know there are other Canadian growers on here.

Comment

Every law is different, here we are allowed a certain amount of budding plants and a certain amount of non budding.

Read the law very carefully if it doesn't say than assume ANY PLANT COUNTS including a seedling.

Comment

In general, unless it makes a distinction between mature and immature plants, it means any plant including a seedling. I think the pure detach and replanting of clones makes them considered a new "plant". It's archaic, but I think it's best to stay within the letter of the law because you don't know how they'll prosecute!

I was looking into Canada's laws and it looks like they plan to allow just 4 plants http://globalnews.ca/news/3124476/ho...lowed-to-grow/

Comment

I'm allowed more plants than I can handle even with clones. Not overly concerned with it. But for those who aren't as fortunate, I wouldn't be filling the house with plants.

Comment

My self, legal or not,
            no one will ever know what I'm doing.
            and if I ever do get discovered for what ever reason, hopefully i'll be within there limits.

cuz I know for medical reasons of cultivation.
            you must apply with Health Canada for a licence.
            and at the bottom of the application, it states that if approved they give your name, adress and all other info you may have to local authority's. as well as fire department and that an elecritian is to be brought in with athoritys at any time for an inspection.

Can't be anywhere near a school, can't be anywhere near public pathways, sidewalks playgrounds, you basically have to leave out in nowhere land
            Your house must have video surveillance, motion lights outside, everything under lock and key .
            You must purchase a safe and only have "X" amount of dry product in the premises (according to your script)
            I coulda came up with all kinds of medical reasons for a script but after carfully reading the Health Canada application.....FUCK THAT!
            They make it appear like all those precautions are for your benifits, but sounds more like it's for making it easier for law inforcment ta me.
            I just sooner keep to my self and they can all stay outa my buisness.

As for how many plants your alowed.
            I'm sure cops would just start counting everything you got, mothers/ vegers/ unrooted clones/ all seedlings.
            destroy your setup confiscate all your stuff, whether right or wrong.
            end up in court.
            And even if ya prove you are within the 6 plants.
            they've done the damage by this time and all your shit is distorted. ....

I don't Wana freak anyone out by saying , but my Brother in Law is O.P.P.
            and some of the shit that comes outa his mouth while stting around my dads supper table of how cops go about doing things is fucking discusting.....
            They act first, There way of thinking is that everyone is guilty until you prove your self innocent.

I'm gona go puke now

Comment

• LuckyAcres
              LuckyAcres commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn! you guys kinda got cheated huh?!?! When democracy gets greedy....

I don't Wana freak anyone out by saying , but my Brother in Law is O.P.P.
            and some of the shit that comes outa his mouth while stting around my dads supper table of how cops go about doing things is fucking discusting.....
            They act first, There way of thinking is that everyone is guilty until you prove your self innocent.

I'm gona go puke now

[/QUOTE]

I agree totaly with that. OPP. should rename them OSS. Largest organized criminal gang in canada besides the RCMP

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X