No announcement yet.

Photo's V. Auto's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks all I tried autos once had a couple of free seeds one went into bloom right away about 8 inches tall but the other did really good so after reading this post I may try some more one question if its the same strain does a auto need different care than a photo
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      In a lot of cases the answer is yes, because an Auto no has another strain added to it (usually ruderalis), which changes the plant some. If the breeder doesn't list any needs for the plant I'd send them a message and ask. Unfortunately the descriptions for the strain don't have any continuity to them. Some descriptions have great info and another description will have next to nothing. Very frustrating!

The lights are left on longer so a slight (10%) increase in expense and the seed companies recommend 1/2 the nutrients.
    I'm in the beginning/middle of a perpetual harvest and the different plant heights need to be taken into consideration.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      True, but you also save a month or two of grow time. So of lights on vs. yields is a good idea to consider.

so I just went and purchased 10 autos of thc bomb for outside grow. will let you know
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds

Comment

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! I'm about to pick up some Fruit Punch auto's today myself

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Which seed bank did you use?

• StoneyTony
      StoneyTony commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using Seedsman for the first time. So far so good

I got some auto pounder seeds myself

Comment

Ive grown thc bomb outside for a couple of years so I know what to expect lookin forward to not having to worry about bud rot in sept.and Oct.

Comment

Auto's are Great!

Easy -- and I like easy.

Great for the beginner - Let's face it, if you went the super soil route with auto's - no nutes to worry about - no light schedule to worry about - just keep the ph right and in 2- 3 months you have something.

Comment

• StoneyTony
          StoneyTony commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds pretty easy alright

I put 6 ak-47 autos in soil over a week ago,for a outside grow first autos ever! Two gal.smart pots all poped and now have real leaves putting them out side as soon as thay get strong enough,and temps warm up.No toping or trimming since its my first autos I just want to see how it goes.lol

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
          Beach_Town_Brit commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck, I've never tried autos outside. Do you plan to repot later?

I don`t like gardening...hell, I have a bloke come in to do my postage size garden cos I hate it so much and I`ve only grown weed for just under 2 yrs but here`s my humble experience....I learned to grow using Auto`s and whilst they are great re: lights they can be right tricky buggers so by growing them they allowed me to get skills that, when I came to 12/12`s appeared to be a walk in the park....I now run both side by side.....I will have 2 grows of auto`s, one after the other to one 12/12....Auto`s are powerful and delicious and in no way inferior to 12/12`s though they are often dismissed....personally though, yields are lighter in my experience....I am happy with 3-4 ounces from an Auto but would want more from a 12/12, hence why I run the 2 types parallel.....which is better...well, I`d say they compliment each other so well and allow so many growing options time wise that it is equal....but I do think Auto`s are harder to grow and can trip you up quickly, if you take your eye off the game....also, you have to be fairly experienced to get a decent yield out of them....tricky buggers sometimes but then the best females always are in my book....excellent question...thank you for posing it...stay mellow

Comment

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually it`s probably Constantine or the latest Dredd, first two blades and the orginal battle of britain but Constantine...he`s the man for me......................there has been a lot of work lately around auto`s and defoliation, topping, etc.....well, auto`s don`t like too much stress and as much as I love to slice n dice leaves on 12/12 I am far more cautious with auto`s....I never top, minimal fan removal and then the whole issue of centre tap growth not being restrained....you know first pot is thee pot....but for me if I hadn`t seen the work being done by Green75 I would not appreciate how much auto`s have come on....But you have to have the skill and confidence to achieve this without stressing them to a halt....I have had some bad yields in my early days...11 oz`s from 13 plants cos I went too hard, too reckless....gene`s can be unstable...I stick to the reds and darks cos they are pretty stable but Narco Purps for instance was an unmitigated disaster....actually I find with auto`s that claw, leaf deformination or just plain not making too or past seedling is another major issue...and finally yields...if you get good with them then it is fair to say that you came beat the seedbanks yield quote 80% of the time with what you manage to get to flowering....For 12/12`s I will dabble across the board and don`t like growing the same strain more than once....with auto`s I only now grow Darks and Reds unless I`ve got seeds to use up....but the thing for me with auto`s is that I don`t like a main cola with surround satellites, I like a cluster, one main cola means you get more popcorn in the first few grows til you get the hang and height control...genes not stabalised can give you low/high from the same packet....also cost, cos lighting isn`t any issue you can hammer in the lights, 12/12 helps claw back some lighting costs.....but with all these variables, you handle them and start getting 3-4 regularly per plant and I would say that youhad nailed it....for 12/12 I am still chuddering onwards to the 8-12 oz per plant...and until further breeding occurs, I think this is out of the auto`s range for some time yet...just some thoughts mate ......but I do love auto`s because they are robust growers and a glory to behold...I reckon old Odin himself tears up when he sees a Red Poison in full flower...anyone who slags them off can`t grow them properly in my opinion....be mellow
          Last edited by PaganRich; 04-22-2017, 07:07 AM.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Second Blade is one of my all-time favorites: those were some nasty-ass vampires!! Thanks for all the info on autos: I appreciate knowing that not all strains are "stable."

• PaganRich
          PaganRich commented
          Editing a comment
          There are auto specializing group sites out there however GWE is the best in this subject as well as 12/12`s....but strains....cos there`s a lot of new ones coming along I`m not convinced the genes have stablized yet....good chat mate

White widow auto seedsman. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170418_194639.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	5.35 MB
ID:	82789Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170415_220409_501.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	82790Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170420_190218_905.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	82791 harvested

Comment

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          I won't tell a soul, I swear it on pain of death.

• Jibblerjoe
          Jibblerjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          24/0 lights on , it took 60 days before it flowered. I got another 1 going but it flowered in the normal 30 days. So really it was defect. Sure turned out beautifully.

• Jibblerjoe
          Jibblerjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Used Lst, defolation, when it finally flowered I tied main stem over to side of pot, made those branches shoot towards the light

I started 3 grows ago using Autos now I would use nothing else!. This seed was germinated March 20th 2017 Hydro is fun!!!!!! I ow it all to Green75 without whome this plant would be in my mulch pile out back.

Comment

Autos are the future...I don't plan on going back to photos.. Makes no sense really...

Comment

• Green75
            Green75 commented
            Editing a comment
            I get bored with photos to easy....been growing them for years...Autos in and out...on to the next one... 4-5 months on one plant is over for me....over

• PaganRich
            PaganRich commented
            Editing a comment
            It`s not my place to try and dissaude a man from his righteous path but.....which means I`m gonna try .....Green75...that article defoliation for experienced growers only....12 ounces, short and wide and heavily defoliated......one question....have you ever achieved that in a tent from one plant...if yes then there`s no comment and like a djinn I shall fade into the shadows but if not, can you sit back....if a bloke called the defoliator can do it and we love defoliation...extreme style....but can`t yet then can we hold our heads high as we`re handed horns of mead at the bar in Valhalla....gods damnit man, no!!!.... you are the standard and competition and yes it is a competition regardless what is said cos it spurs you on in a fun way to endeavour to beat otherwise it`s just boring for the rest of us, namely me to run you close....he threw a standard out 12oz`s, Ix36` high plant....so it takes months but that`s the beauty of auto`s...run them at the same time....2 auto grows to one photo and remember the Alamo......we have things like the Battle of Barnet....doesn`t rally the troops quite the same especially as Barnet Fair means hair...shout `remember Barnet, lads` and everyones` reaching for their combs
            Last edited by PaganRich; 04-23-2017, 10:24 AM.

• Beach_Town_Brit
            Beach_Town_Brit commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I missed out on a bunch of cool discussion this weekend, apologies, it's been tough to string words together since 4-20 (the bouncy castle didn't help).

I'm with Green, Auto Mechanics 4 ever
            From my perspective autos and small grows are the new thing. The model for weed growing has been passed down from commercial grow masters, all props to them but for me I'm doing something different. I grow for myself, personal use, as such variety and quality are more important than yield.

This said we started my buddy's outdoor garden this weekend and put three Skywalker OG photo clones in with lots more to come in the next month.

I continue to believe that photoperiods are superior. Since there's no such thing as pure landrace autos, and I don't want my landrace sativa diluted with ruderalis at all, I'll go with photoperiod. BF Grinspoon, Sensi Jack Herer: that's what I want. I'm definitely tryna be a sativa whisperer.

I will stick with the variety and potency of photoperiod cannabis. The sativas I want to grow are all photoperiod; I'll take a long and challenging grow over a short and easy grow to get the strain and potency I really want. Yeah, I may run out of weed while I wait 14 weeks for my Purp Haze x Malawi to mature, but it's worth it to me.

Growing photoperiod plants is a different art form and type of challenge, and I want to be directly involved in the decision-making process on a number of levels throughout the grow. I love a good challenge!
          Last edited by alltatup; 04-23-2017, 04:44 AM.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• StoneyTony
            StoneyTony commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with your point of view as well alltatup. Nothing wrong with being specialized in a specific area of a hobby. We see it all the time and I comment you for it. For me personally I like the variety this hobby offers. This year I'm going to practice my skills with auto's.

P.S. I sure would like to try some of that Landrace - I'm a sativa fan too! Maybe I'll grow it later this year

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            StoneyTony I want to grow the very best weed. I want the herb that's really special. I never have cared much for the work smarter not harder theory, because too many people who subscribe to that notion in my profession are lazy idiots. I have never had much interest for things that come super-easy, except for the time I found $500 on the ground...

That's just me..

• PaganRich
            PaganRich commented
            Editing a comment
            alltatup....I appreciate the metaphor shift and raise you 4 bags of grey oblivion smoke from one volcano to a most potent joint, my friend there is nothing like sitting trimming your buds-and not often can you get away with saying that in polite company-in your enclosed and secluded garden, with a nicely chilled Polish beer est 1869...or 4 on a sunny Sunday afternoon with Bauhaus playing Eno`s (?) Third Uncle cos the FA Semi - Finale is on Sky Sports which I don`t have-the swines
            Last edited by PaganRich; 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM.

PaganRich ....yes man I've grown some killers in a tent... Just not the one I have to grow in now... I've had plants that weighed in over a pound when dried...it's easy to do.... I now have a 3x3x6 tent...New house called for smaller grow space. Sucks I know.... So when I set up the tent and realized how much room I actually don't have..I changed my whole game... I new I needed short fat wide plants with big Fuckin buds...a lot of big Fuckin buds... So the only thing I decided I needed to change was the amount of veg time... And multiple plants...

I've been growing weed on and off for over twenty years...either at my place or a borrowed space at a friend's in return for supplying them with pot... I've done it all man...inside outside you name it...the only bad thing about my growing career was the lack of variety...I was always limited to what other people had as far as clones or either BAG seed... Now where I'm at in life being almost 42 years old I want variety and I want it quickly... Autoflowers is the answer... It's also new to me...the auto...you know what we all here about autos...don't cut on them or defoliate them cause you will screw them up...that kind of pissed me off to hear that...because I know people don't grow like I do so they are limited on their knowledge of the outcome of a plant that has been tied and reputedly cut on... I called bullshit...got some auto seeds and commenced to grow them like I grow Photoperiod plants.... I don't need to grow to supplement income any longer...so i just grow for my wife and I....no need for pounds and pounds of pot to sell... So autos give a quick return and tons of flavor options...do it right and you can get a great yeild off of one as well... I'm fairly new to the auto world as of now... For now.. I'm still experimenting .... sorry for blabbing on and on...I've been subbed in on this thread since it got posted , I've just been waiting to answer so I could see others pros and cons so I could cover them all... there are great sativa autos out there that will rock your socks right off... Why be tied down to one or two strains....grow and smoke them all !!!!

Two months.... I'm sold...

Growing photo plants is like growing a house plant to me..it's boring and takes forever

My $.02

Comment

• PaganRich
            PaganRich commented
            Editing a comment
            Well Green I shall still be there with you mate.....I too do think Auto`s are the future funnily enough, better overall resistances and no light corruption issues....and time and breeding should iron out the gene issues as well as raise yields....what is also interesting to note is that overhere auto`s and photo are roughly 50/50 in the seed banks....I do like the way you are `challenging` the growers myths about what you can and can`t get away with....I most heartedly recommend 6 shooter auto...my fav, even above the reds....gorgeous grow and just lovely smoke mate.....anyway, stay mellow my friend...you youngsters, you

• StoneyTony
            StoneyTony commented
            Editing a comment
            That's my thinking these days too Green. And I agree, the strains coming out today are very impressive!

It will be autos for me EVERY TIME!..

Comment

There's no disputing taste... To each her/his own...
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Green75
              Green75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Taste is a given...every strain has its own...

Not sure how this applies to... Autos vs. Photos tho

Your right tho..To each their own...the options on either side of the fence are endless... Enjoy them

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Green, what's funny is that both you and I get bored easily, and we take opposite approaches to avoid boredom in the grow. On July 21, I will have been growing for a year; at this point, every day is exciting and new and I'm learning so much. I need grows that are challenging and I need to learn how to grow the best weed I can. You can do that in your sleep!

When I have 20 years' experience under my belt, as you already do, 1. I'll be 84!, and 2. I will prolly be long over my infatuation with landrace sativas! ;-}

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X