Hey! Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! Need help

Do you if it’s best to cut the plants down when my grow light is on or off? I read that if yiu cut them with the lights on the plant will still be sucking nutrients out of the medium? Any insight?
    Last edited by 757GanjGrower; 03-15-2024, 01:07 PM.

2 GG 4 plants: the mother grew nanners last harvest and left me with over 100 seeds.

the other plants:
    1 Gary Payton / 1 Gogi Berry / 1 Mystery seed.
    Last edited by 757GanjGrower; 03-15-2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a new one LOL. Hey just cut it down. Hears another rumor......GG #4 is hermie prone

I prefer light. My night vision is not so good.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• 757GanjGrower
      757GanjGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      So with the lights on, I won’t need to worry about the plant still pulling energy and nutrients from the soil?

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      When you something off a plant, it is unable to pull energy and nutrients from the soil as it is cut from the plant and no longer has access to the soil which contains energy and nutrients.

Lights on bro! I prefer keeping all my digits, I've had to use some pretty hefty shears in the past.

Comment

I'm genuinely confused. Are you gonna stick the plant back in the soil after chopping it down?

Comment

I know what he is talking about. The theory is to cut down the plant immediately after the dark period. The thought is the majority of the water and sap is in the roots. It has not moved up into the leaves and buds because photosynthesis is not occurring.

Whether this is true or makes any difference, I don't know. But I have read it.
        SF 35X47X70 tent
        SF1000 X4
        AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
        AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
        FFOF Soil
        FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
        GH Flora Series
        3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
        Gelato Cake
        Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

I usually leave them in the dark for 24 hours before I chop but I have no real reason for doing that. I did some experimenting with the dark period, all clones in the same RDWC system, no dark period chopped in the middle of the day, 24, 48 & 72 hours of darkness and I didn't notice any difference in the smoke, texture or the high. I think I saw something on the GWE site that said there is no scientific evidence it matters. I did see an experiment online from someone that had their weed tested in a lab and they had like .02% from the longer dark periods. That's not enough of a difference for me to care about it, I have tried about a dozen other things like stem splitting and other Bro Science myths that made no noticeable difference.
          Start with good genetics, decent lights and keep them healthy is what really makes the difference for me

Comment

• Rootsruler
            Rootsruler commented
            Editing a comment
            Optimize the basics.

• 757GanjGrower
            757GanjGrower commented
            Editing a comment
            Much appreciated

Allenpro Your .02% comment. Exactly. Yes, light schedule at harvest may make a difference, technically, but the difference is moot. It's like my buddy who swears exhaling his smoke on my plants will increase the THC. Technically, yes. When the smoke settles on a plant I am about to harvest, there will be residue from the smoke. But my plants then smell like smoke.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
            Bluey commented
            Editing a comment
            He's deliberately smoke tainting your weed as he is jealous yours is better than his.

Sabotage!

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I am learning not to argue with people about their beliefs. Especially old people who are set-in-their-ways, as I am getting.
            Except when Buddy Ryan told me aircraft carries can turn on all their screws, go 80+ miles an hour, and hydroplane. He even showed me an old 'Tool Time' episode where they actually did it. Since Tim was there, they added a jet engine. I am not sure I convinced him otherwise.

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh... aircraft carriers do not hydroplane...

I'm assuming you're posting this because you want your flower with as little nutrient in it as possible so that you aren't smoking it? How much actual nutrient do you think the plant takes up in an hour? In a day?

Do you taper your feed towards the end of your grow down to just pure water the last week or so? Even if they were sucking whatever amount of nutrient, the concentration would be so low, if you're tapering, I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Comment

You have what is know as mobile and immobile nutrients, plants do not have a waste disposal system per-say.

Once you feed your plants they uptake the concoction of mobile and immobile, flushing the plant will move the mobile to the newest growth point, whats inmobile go's nowhere and can't move backwards. nitrogen is mobile and the only one to show reduction from flushing, In my opinion it also helps with the "grass" taste removing N at the end.

My point is that if you're trying to remove "fertilizers" to improve taste with a lights off thing, I wouldn't say there's Merit but if you are looking at a improvement in cannabinoids production, cannabis is known to increase cannabinoid production from stress. By taking away the regular lighting schedule for a couple days is stressing the plant but as far as how much it increases that's been debatable.

Hippy logic has suggested cutting the plants under a green light, a couple hours after lights off, in the dark is the best way to go, maybe it's a humanity thing but science and experience says it doesn't matter.
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              You forgot the moon. Hippy logic requires everything to be done during a full moon with a green light, a couple hours after lights off, in the dark.

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Harvest Moon duh

If you have more than one plant it is critical to cut them down in the dark.

The reason for this is the plants you cut after the first become severely stressed and anxious after witnessing the death of their sister.
            Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
            Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
            Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
            Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
            Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
            Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer to look them in the eyes when I plunge the knife.

• homegrown
              homegrown commented
              Editing a comment
              O-Oh...looks like Mr.furley has strayed off topic.

• Bluey
              Bluey commented
              Editing a comment
              Nah. Bro science covers everything

You have to love bro science. When will they learn nothing is more important than wearing your lucky socks

Comment

• Mollisol
              Mollisol commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol... Source: "trust me 'bro!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240316-201445_Chrome.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	617313

4 and 3 and 2 and 1.
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X