Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a new grow light, also need advice

Looking for advice.

I'm just getting ready to begin my new grow, and it appears my light is kaput. It's an arcahic hooded 600w mh/hps. I tried everything, even switching bulbs, will not turn on.

I've been looking for a way to justify stepping up in LEDs, because the present system produces a lot of heat, and also gobbles up energy. So I guess nows my chance. But understanding electrify is not my forte.

eBay and Amazon have some great deals on LEDs in the 100-480w range. But is comparing wattage between a mh/hps and an LED comparing apples to apples, or an I comparing apples to green beans?

My tent is 4x4 and vented. So any thoughts on LEDs.
    ​​​​​​

Don't buy a cheap LED off Amazon, make sure you get something that has a good reputation. A lot of those unknown/lesser brand lights are straight rip offs. I use Spider Farmer lights, but I've also heard great things about Mars Hydro.

Comment

An all spectrum bar light of 480w would be perfect.

Spider Farmer SE5000 480W led grow lights, Samsung LM301B diodes improve your grow results, producing a PPF of 1368 µmol/s and a very high efficacy of up to 2.75 µmol/J. Uniform PPFD distribution & good heat dissipation.

A quantum board a bit cheaper

2024 new version Spider Farmer SF4000 LED grow light is equipped with Samsung LM301H EVO diodes and adds additional red and blue light, yields up to 2.5g/w

Both on sale atm. Good lights
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

I'm an HLG guy. Can't go wrong there. There's some good recommendations from Nebula on GWE as well.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
        Autopot system
        : 1 Scarlet Grapes & 1 Scarlet Sunset
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Idle at the moment
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Read this, BTW I use mars hydro LEDs for now.
          Many grow lights work well for growing cannabis indoors. The 3 main types are: fluorescents (T5s), HIDs (Metal Halide, HPS, CMH) and LEDs. Learn how to pick the best option for your setup!

Comment

I have a Photontek X 465w pro it’s very nice , but like HLG pricey. Mars Hydro and Spider farmer are both good brands, I wouldn’t hesitate to use.
            Dont be tricked by the wattage claims with LEDs, look at the “watts at the wall” not what they cliam. Meaning how many watts is the LED actually drawing from the circuit.
            KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
            Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
            Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
            Maybe some compost teas
            Blumat watering system
            Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
            3x4x6’ tent
            Photontek 465wpro
            6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
            Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

Greetings Naushon,

Take a look at this site for some solid background info and detailed reviews of current LED lights.
              Independent grow light testing & reviews. Science based articles & tools to help evaluate & compare grow lights for cannabis. Test reports & Discount Codes.

I've had excellent results with ViparSpectra lights, the XS Pro series is lensed for great light distrubution. Good value for the money.

-Grouchy
              PS, "Naushon Island???"
              My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
              I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
              Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

I use spider farmer with good results. There are other brands that are good also. Stay away from cheap no name copy cat lights. With LEDs you will see a reduction in heat produced and decreased $ in your power bill. Imo buy the biggest light you can afford.
                Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Source here https://migrolight.com/blogs/grow-light-reviews

Click image for larger version

Name:	best_grow_light_4x4_669cebb8-c47e-4b73-b444-134a590707b6_600x600.png
Views:	343
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	608173

This is a trusted source and the above table pretty much sums up what you get for your bucks.
                  Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
                  Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
                  Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
                  Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
                  Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
                  Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
                  Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

All of these suggestions are good. I'm not a big fan of Mars Hydro due to reports of fire hazards from a few trusted friends. Doesn't mean they are not suitable just that people close to me have had that experience so I shy away. I run a 5 x 5 and am currently using COB boards but will eventually go with a bar light style setup for lighting as I prefer using SCROG as my grow technique.

Before you get into LED understand that you aren't going to get the canopy penetration you get with HID/HPS. Yes, heat and power consumption will drop significantly.

Since this is your first experience with LED I would also suggest you start studying up on light spectrum and its effects on plant growth. LED's will afford you more flexibility with tailoring your light spectrum to the stage of plant growth you're in. A lot of the lights in the list posted are not spectrum adjustable but some of the higher end ones are starting to offer spectrum adjustability. Probably one of the first light companies to do this is California Light Works. IMO they have some of the best lights on the market but they are pricey. I also like Gavita 1700e Pro or the MedicGrow Smart 8.

As far as what wattage I try and go with 30 watts per sq/ft. In your 4 x 4 that would be 480w. For the money and your space size I would go with either Cretivity or the Migro Array 4. Between the two I would go Cretivity. It affords you the wattage if you are going to add Co2 to your grow and need the extra PPFD.

Comment

• Bluey
                      Bluey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Roots, type into your Google search bar "Spider Farmer" fire and see how many hits you get then do the same with Mars hydro and tell us who wins.

Spider Farmer has started lots of fires also.

• Rootsruler
                      Rootsruler commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't doubt it. None of my trusted sources have had fire incidents with SF but I'm sure you're right. I would also not rule out some of these owners being dumbasses and putting a 600 watt light on an already overloaded circuit and blaming it on the light when it was them.

• Smallgrow
                      Smallgrow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha, ya try googling dumb ass starts fire

I have nothing against these brands, MH was my first light, but safety is one of the reasons I dropped the dollars on a high end brand name light.

That said I’m sure a dumb ass somewhere could get it to burn too, hopefully that dumbass isn’t me 😉

I agree with most of what everyone has to say. But being me, I have to add my 2cents. Do not buy more wattage than you need for the size of your tent. You need 450-600 watts. At 600 you will most likely need to throttle it down. Beware of small manufacturers; they tend to go out of business. Everyone lies in this business (excuse me, highly exaggerates}. From yields to watts, size to potency, etc...
                    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
                    5 gallon cloth pots
                    30"x30"x60" tent
                    Spider Farmer SE3000
                    Coco Pearlite mix
                    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Bluey
                      Bluey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you only run your light at 80% then you may as well throw the efficiency numbers out the window.

LEDs and drivers tend to run most efficient at 100% because they tend to be designed that way.

Do you know anyone that runs their lights at 100% 24/7? I don't.

• Rootsruler
                      Rootsruler commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do. They just adjust the height of their light but they have the roof space to be able to do that. BTW LED's and drivers are built to perform at all different power levels. Certainly 100% may be their most efficient but 80% you're looking at, at best, a drop of a couple percent. Should we be running at 100% at seed pop? Should we be running at 100% at flip? Should we be running at 100% even though the tent is running at 95*? I adjust my lighting intensity to suit the plants needs. The difference in efficiency is minimal in regards to outcomes.

Plus when other lights are dying mine is going strong because I'm not running it 100% out of the gate. Again, heat is the #1 killer of diodes. Running it full out will kill them faster.

• Bluey
                      Bluey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good points. Probably only running them at 100% for 6 weeks of a grow 12/12 now I think about it. These don't run hot and I'd expect at least 5 years of continuous growing out of them. No issues so far.

Autocobs. Efficient, cool, and easily movable.
                    Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Originally posted by grouchyoldman View Post
                      Greetings Naushon,

Take a look at this site for some solid background info and detailed reviews of current LED lights.
                      Independent grow light testing & reviews. Science based articles & tools to help evaluate & compare grow lights for cannabis. Test reports & Discount Codes.

I've had excellent results with ViparSpectra lights, the XS Pro series is lensed for great light distrubution. Good value for the money.

-Grouchy
                      PS, "Naushon Island???"
                      yup, Naushon Island, my favorite place to fish.

Comment

I've been looking closely at Phlizon lights. Price is certainly right. Claim to use Samsung diodes. I'm about a week away from having to buy one.

Comment

• Bluey
                          Bluey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you buy a light from Amazon or even BangGood or Ebay or similar, you need to ensure it has been independently verified to meet its claims re diodes and output etc.

If it has not then you will deservedly be ripped off.

Edit. You've asked for advice...a huge amount has been given re lights yet you want to race off and buy a brand of light nobody here has recommended or probably even heard of.

Why ask for advice if you won't listen to it?
                          Last edited by Bluey; 11-07-2023, 12:47 PM.

• Rootsruler
                          Rootsruler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bluey - I understand OP's desire to save money but you are correct. He'll learn soon enough that lighting is where you splurge if you're wondering what is the item to spend the money on.

I run shitty Amazon chinese lights and, so far, I haven't had any issues but I'm currently on the hunt for a bar light setup that won't break the bank and will still give me good quality and performance. I know that with the current lights it's not an issue of if but when they'll go bad.

• Bluey
                          Bluey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I bought 5 BavaGreen 660 & 730nm 30 watt bar lights. Osram diodes. They work great, purchased from the manufacturer in China. Saved a fortune and I needed red..

I tested them here and all good.

Migro then tested their lights, he was impressed. Great lights.

still haven't decided.

Looked closely at Phlizon. Also looking at SF, Mars, Creativity, California Lightworks. Vivosun is attractive.

Hard not to like Phlizon, but what turns me off is the language barrier. I ask a complex question, and get a one word, misspelled reply.

Another option I'm considering is just going out and buying another HID set up, and chucking my old one. Might be some economics since I have a bunch of mh and hps bulbs in inventory.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X