stress, anxiety, depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stress, anxiety, depression

Hello! A good friend asked me this question the other day.... She wanted to know which strain(s) are best for stress, anxiety and depression? I told her I would need to "check with the experts" since I was not confidant in my own answer.

As always, Thank you and stay safe

Hmmm. That's a tough one as the jury is still out on it and some studies show an increase in anxiety as a result of consumption.

I'd stay away from high strength THC strains as my experience suggest these can increase my anxiety in the initial effects but it effects everyone differently to a degree so its tough to answer that.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Do some research on terpenes and the entourage effect. THC content is moot when it comes to the 'medical' values of weed. You can pretty much take terpenes alone to get the medicals.
      I dab. Resins and rosins and such will have terpene profiles on the label. Not sure about weed.
      I cannot say I notice one terpene doing anything special for me. It's all about the taste and high. But people swear by their weed being the miracle of miracles.
      αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

You won't find a single, simple answer to your question here or anywhere else. The answers must come from within. Anything else is just a helper, and they are all need to be individualized and used with caution.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Try some Maui Wowie. Gave a 1/2g cart to a friend to vape that had the same issues and she said it was a godsend. Everyone's different and respond in different ways but start there.

I will say that, IMO, THC DOES play a role in medicinal in regards to how it biosyntesizes with the terpenes and cannabanoids but more study needs to be done.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not arguing with you because I am not the proverbial expert.
            However, my argument would be CBD strains.

• Rootsruler
            Rootsruler commented
            Editing a comment
            Not arguing either. Just repeating what a researcher from University of Mississippi that studies it told me. You don't need a lot but you do need some. CBD strains usually have minute amounts of THC in them. Just not enough to feel the effects.

I do not smoke anymore. But I did for 13 years non stop. All day everyday, was growing for a living the last 3 of those years. Tried all kinds of strains during my life. And overtime I realized I didn't even like to get high. I smoked to feel good, had to smoke two joints before even thinking of breakfast. Anyway, the strain that I loved the most is the granddaddy purple. You can find tons of related strains and crosses, specially the ones with og tend to be more calming and less psychedelic. The best way to explain would be when I smoke that strain I felt like a warm hug that lifted my mood. Like a chicken soup on a rainy cold day or hug and a "it's all gonna be alrite" when you're feeling blue.

Comment

I would tell your friend to look more to sativa for those symptoms.
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

outdoor
            Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
            Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

While I think it is good to look for a cannabis strain that handles those issues. I will say as somebody with a disabling case of bi-polar II, depression is serious and she should also consult a medical professional. Depression can be fatal!
              2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
              2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
              2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
              2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

I’m impressed at all the answers here that suggest there is no clear answers, that is in fact the case scientifically at this point.
                I have smoked for over 30 years and had have many of those same problems. I’m not sure that there’s not a connection there.

I personally believe that the answer lies with all of the major/minor cannabinoids and terpenes used together (entourage effect) in different combinations. One thing that helped me was to move away from the strong THC strains, and these days they are just stronger and stronger, off the charts really. I focus on 1:1 strains in the 8-12 % range. It’s a trial and error situation for now, unfortunately.

I also strongly agree that serious illness , mental or physical , requires the attention of medical professionals, not passionate pot growers.
                Last edited by Smallgrow; 10-14-2023, 03:42 PM.
                KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
                Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
                Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
                Maybe some compost teas
                Blumat watering system
                Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
                3x4x6’ tent
                Photontek 465wpro
                6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
                Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

• Bluey
                  Bluey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally agree with the above, 100%

What we haven't discussed so much is different methods of delivery as they too result in varying perceived effects.

More research & clinical trials on the way.

....puff...puff...

Lots of good suggestions here!

I very much agree with the poster who said that you kinda gotta f*ck around and find out since it's different for everyone. But I will add that dose makes a big difference as well. Cannabis is bi-phasic which means that it can give opposite effects at a higher dose compared to a low dose. If she's already dealing with anxiety, depression, etc. a high dose of cannabis can increase that. So...while she's experimenting, make the suggestion that she stick with smaller doses until she feels comfortable.

And of course, it's okay to not be okay and it's okay to seek out professional help. Many therapists are open to incorporating things like cannabis, acupuncture, and other pharmaceutical-free options in conjunction with talk therapy.
                Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
                Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

• Smallgrow
                  Smallgrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes dose, great point. I should have thought to mentioned that.
                  Something I also personally have learned after years.
                  Just take one or two puffs (or equivalent) is much better for me when looking for treatment for those things.

Go to any Breeder's web site like Seedsman for example and look through their Seeds choices and make your selection from that.

Comment

It's great that you're looking out for your friend. When it comes to strains for stress, anxiety, and depression, checking with the experts is always a good call. There's a lot of variety out there! By the way, if anyone ever needs urgent support or is going through a tough time, remember there's the crisis hotline Maine for assistance. Take care and happy exploring!
                  Last edited by proctor; 12-06-2023, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I really believe that low dose, low THC weed can assist if the depression is causing pain and sleeplessness. However, if you are attempting it to treat depression with weed, you are making a mistake. You really need to start with a medical professional first. If someone is depressed enough to seek relief, then start with a doctor. Been there, Done that.
                    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
                    5 gallon cloth pots
                    30"x30"x60" tent
                    Spider Farmer SE3000
                    Coco Pearlite mix
                    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I'm on disability for those exact illnesses. Have been for 10 years. It's a permanent and total disability too. So I'm retired technically. My strain of choice, and I've tried A LOT, is GG#4. Completely relaxed, no paranoia, feels like Xanax or Klonopin while your wrapped in in a warm blanket knowing everything's going to be good. Last a long time too. Strong, don't need but 5 hits and your good for 5 hours. It will help with depression, but you really need to find what exactly why you are depressed about and attack it. Why am I sad? What can I do to correct it? And to be honest, sometimes you have to just let go and not give a f*ck anymore. Let it go. It's not worth it. If you need help or wanna talk pm me. I've been through it all, even suicide attempt. The one key advice I can give you, don't hold it in. Don't hide it. The more you bottle it up, the more pain it will cause you.

Comment

And to be honest, f*ck medical professionals. They know that shi*t from a book they read written by God knows who. Talk to someone who ACTUALLY has been through it. It's like asking someone on advice on the best steak in town when they're vegan lol.... you get what im.saying....

Comment

• OldManGrower
                          OldManGrower commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have to disagree. Some, non medical counselors, MSW's etc. are generally worthless. You need someone who knows what the appropriate intervention is and is able to diagnosis correctly. That, with therapy and medication can help though but not always. Using a depressive drug on top of depression can result in disaster.

• Ckbrew
                          Ckbrew commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Medical professionals are like seeds. Most are good, some are fantastic, and some are duds. They are only human. Choose wisely.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X