Casters for a grow tent ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casters for a grow tent ideas.

Hello! I'm in a new situation now where I need to be able to move my grow tent almost daily. Cord lengths aren't an issue, but a 4x4x7ft tent with all the equipment weighs a lot. Does anyone have any ideas for how I might go about this? I want to avoid wooden pallets because it is indoors. I also have about a foot and a half of room above the tent, so I can use larger caster wheels if I have to.

You will have to build a platform to support the tent. Then put the castors on the platform.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Use movers dollys from harbor freight, 1 in each corner with a plywood deck

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        One can get these cheaper than the parts to make them.

• Smallgrow
        Smallgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, moving dollys are very cheap, 2 would do it with some extra ply

I hear ya, I've considered those ideas as well but I'm nor sure what the structural strength of that setup would be like. I've looked up prefab dollies that end up 300-600 usd in price range. Not looking to be on the cheap side, but I don't want to break the bank.

Comment

• Smallgrow
        Smallgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        The moving dollys at the box stores are about 30$ Canadian, and rated for at least 400lbs.
        I rolled a hot tub on 2 once, it was empty but at least 400lbs

Check out my post Number 21.
      Simple grow room gadgets that make you life easier - GrowWeedEasy.com Cannabis Growing Forum
      Raygun is hip-hop.

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Last spring I made some platforms for my tents to elevate them before I I had water in my basement, like I did this past weekend. I used 3/4 in plywood and some blocks of 2x4s in the corners and in the middle for elevation and support. The tent with the blue zipper is 3x4 feet, and the other is 3x3. I put a block in each corner and middle of each side as well as the center. For the 3x4 I used a little longer blocks in the middle and center. The end product is very sturdy, and I have stood inside the tents on these platforms and no sagging or cracking of the wood. I have also (carefully) dragged these around the concrete floor with fully loaded tents on top without issue. You could mount some casters on these and easily wheel them around.

Comment

Put it on a pallet and screw some HD castors to the underside

Comment

• shadycon
            shadycon commented
            Editing a comment
            How about one of those plastic pallets?

HD or Lowes sells 4 x 8 sheets of plywwod or OSB for around $50. 5 swiveling casters. One on each corner and one in the middle. I prefer the polyurethane wheels to keep from scratching your floor. I can get a 12 pack for $25.

Comment

Rootsruler is onto something. It's an interesting problem to have...needing to move the grow tent, daily. I'd think simple is better. If you go the plywood route as suggested be sure to get 3/4". The casters will serve you best if you get something rated for heavy weight. I have a hybrid table saw on casters. It's easy to move. Also consider whether you want your casters to swivel. 4 that swivel 360 would make the tent as maneuverable as possible. I'm guessing with 1 1/2' of overhead space ceiling fans are not an issue? Is relocating the tent the only option?
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
            Autopot system
            : 1 Scarlet Grapes & 1 Scarlet Sunset
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Idle at the moment
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Rootsruler
              Rootsruler commented
              Editing a comment
              He probably wants it so that he has better access to all sides of his tent. I have the same issue. My tent is in the corner of my office so I only have access to 2 sides.

I was going to build the same type of platform but instead of moving the whole tent for access I took an old pneumatic office chair, removed the casters, removed the back support and seat bottom from the piston and base and placed it in the middle of the tent. Whenever I need access to an area that is hard to reach due to my limited access I attach the seat bottom to the piston and lay on it giving me full access to the entire canopy from above. As the plants get taller I adjust the piston height.

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
            Rootsruler is onto something. It's an interesting problem to have...needing to move the grow tent, daily. I'd think simple is better. If you go the plywood route as suggested be sure to get 3/4". The casters will serve you best if you get something rated for heavy weight. I have a hybrid table saw on casters. It's easy to move. Also consider whether you want your casters to swivel. 4 that swivel 360 would make the tent as maneuverable as possible. I'm guessing with 1 1/2' of overhead space ceiling fans are not an issue? Is relocating the tent the only option?
            Relocating it is more a matter of practicality, as Rootsruler said I need access to all sides and my tent is in a corner. Also the ceiling clearance isn't an issue. I managed to get my hands on a slab of recycled plastic board that's seems indestructible, gonna move the tent after this harvest.

Comment

• Rootsruler
              Rootsruler commented
              Editing a comment
              Just make sure the platform can support yours and whatever plants and gear weight that's in the middle so it doesn't sag. I suggest another caster in the middle to support and 3/4" plywood for rigidity. On Amazon they sell a 12 pack of polyurethane casters with flat plate mounts for $25. You can put as many as you feel necessary to support the base.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X