Help me buy a microscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me buy a microscope

Going to get a USB microscope for my old eyes and would like y'all's opinions on them. The ones I see for cheap want to phone home to the mother ship in china every time you use it. Not doing that. Just want one that works. Whatchall got?
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

I got a pretty cheap one from china 🤣 one of those claiming 500x but it's just a USB webcam with a little tripod support. Don't even come with software. I just open the photo boot in Mac and take pictures that way. Cost me like 20 bucks

Comment

I have one of those cheapo "microscopes". I was not impressed with it and I had to find an app that would work to capture the pix. I am thinking of trying this one next. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...G2T4WT03&psc=1 Let us know if you try it.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Bought a China brand average price. Maybe $20-$30. I found three directions on installing for use on my computer. None of them worked.
        I got in touch with China. They told me to try a fourth way that didn't work.
        Their first solution was to let me keep the scope and get a half refund because shipping was a bitch. I told them I didn't care about their shipping and paying half price for something that did not work was paying for something that did not work. Resolution was mine.
        Go to Toys-R-Us. Do you have Michael's? It's an artsy craftsy place. Maybe Radio Shack? Pay a little more for something you can return to the source.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

I purchased this unit. The supplied holder/stand is not functional. I got this aftermarket unit that works well.

Comment

Anyone wondering how any of these devices are better than a newer version smart phone of any brand? The cameras are so sophisticated now…maybe an attachment exists.

mahalo

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. I have a Xiaomi phone. It already has a macro lens in the camera. Works so well I haven used my microscope in two years. Great to check trichomes. Never tried the attachments but I imagine they must work pretty well too

i have one similar to quirk, yes the base is useless for anything we need it for unless you cut a bud or leaf off to look at it. It does take great close ups of buds and trichomes. I like it simply because i can jam it onto the bud and focus from there...doesnt matter how shaky my hands are cause the bud is stuck to the camera lol. As of late something is funky inside..like the lens is flopping around. Probably order another cause their cheap.
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Auto plants Strawberry Pie Auto(fast bud) Night Queen Auto(dutch passion) Chem Dog Auto(ethos) Unknown mix Auto(butterbean seeds)
            Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
            Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

Those are junk IMO. A cheap 30/60 is all I need for ripeness checks. I got my 30/60 for $6 on Amazon.

New phones have macro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loupe.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	604862

Comment

• kingfish
                kingfish commented
                Editing a comment
                Going2fast take Rootsruler's advise this is all you need. Those USB Made in China microscopes are crap.

I have a Samsung S23 Ultra and the macro function is non existent but if you set it at 3x zoom and then blow up the pics it works reasonably well, but not really as close as we need for good trichome or tiny pest inspection.

I also have a jeweller's loupe I put in front of the lens and crop the image but depth of field is extremely narrow. With patience you can grab some great shots about 1% of the time if you're lucky. Below are the best shots I could get with this setup.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230416_212159.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	604888 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230425_084932.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	604889
              Pretty shit really.

I too want a better setup for close ups.​

EDIT. I am holding everything by hand which is probably a no no.
              Last edited by Bluey; 09-15-2023, 05:33 PM.
              Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
              Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
              Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
              Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
              Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• Rootsruler
                Rootsruler commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one of those lens kits for your phone but it's hard to get a good shot without a tripod or some sort of steadying device.

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                Post a few of your best pics @rootsruler

I think going in macro close up holding by hand is the main problem and then you've got a total depth of field of maybe 5mm....if you're lucky

• ChubbNugg
                ChubbNugg commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it all depends on the quality of the photo you're looking for. I've tried many usb and orb types and loupes. they just don't give me what I want. here's my little scope.. https://www.microscope.com/omano-om1...e-package.html ..... and here's my big-un.. ....
                https://amscope.com/products/c-t670?...41108637909167 .... i hope these links work.

Do you have any pics with that thing Rootsruler? These were taken with one of the junk products that you mentioned. I may be interested in one if they can do better.
              Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
              Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
              6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
              Canna Coco/perlite
              General Hydroponics Flora Series
              Cal/Mag.

Auto plants Strawberry Pie Auto(fast bud) Night Queen Auto(dutch passion) Chem Dog Auto(ethos) Unknown mix Auto(butterbean seeds)
              Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
              Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                They're a heap better than what I can do

This was from a couple of harvests ago with a macro lens. GG4.

Name:	flower closeup.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	604910

Comment

This is what I can do with the camera phone zoom in. Details ok.

Name:	20230424_220345.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	777.7 KB
ID:	604913
                Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
                Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
                Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
                Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
                Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
                Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I have the Amazon usb type, I’d put a link but my “brand” Wadeo is no longer available it was around 30-40$ Canadian
                  here’s a couple pic about middle of its zoom 50-1000x I think.

I attach it to a tripod with a dollar store cell phone clip on holder, to steady it. It’s still a pain to get good photos, but it works for me. The long reach arm makes it harder to steady but allows me to reach to the back of the tent.
                  KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
                  Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
                  Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
                  Maybe some compost teas
                  Blumat watering system
                  Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
                  3x4x6’ tent
                  Photontek 465wpro
                  6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
                  Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

The timing of this post is great as I, too, am microscope shopping. I don't see a clear solution here so any additional recommendations are welcome.

did you get one yet? If so, would you please report back on which one and how you like it?

Comment

I did not. Still researching. Several good recommendations here but I'm not giving a microscope access to everything on my phone.
                      keeping it green with the soil thing
                      love me some frosty autos
                      braap
                      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
                      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
                      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
                      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• Bluey
                        Bluey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need a tinfoil wrapped phone huh?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X