How many mason jars for harvest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many mason jars for harvest?

Well my wife just told me I can’t use her canning jars, so you know what that means. I buy my own.

50 days into Flower
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-and-1st-grow
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-ready-to-flip

Are there mason jar that have one piece lids?
    You know not the ring and seal type, but more like a mayonnaise jar? I’m not canning so the later makes more sense.

Anyone have a favorite brand?
    I need to order right away so there’s no delay in getting them. I know my wife had real trouble finding these a few months back, maybe things have caught up now.

How many does it look like I’ll need?

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

I use both the 1 qt and 1/2 gallon wide mouth Ball jars.
    I scored some of the tinted glass qts, they work well.
    I find that I can usually store about an ounce of dried flower/qt, so I have quite a few on the shelf.
    I've always used the regular canning lids, never caused an issue for me.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Mason brand mason jars 😁

I use 16oz jars for my top shelf buds (.5-.75oz/jar) and 32oz jars for my lower grade/popcorn (1-1.5oz/jar). As for lids, i think Amazon sells 1-piece lids.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Bernardin jars are the shit. I've got some that I've had for almost 10 years now. Wide mouth, good lids, tough glass. Nice easy shape for storage, dirt cheap too.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure you can even get these styles anymore. I've got 2 12 packs and I use them for everything.

Comment

• Catfish22
            Catfish22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mason jelly jar. They come in a couple different sizes.

I like the Ball wide mouth, they get the best seal IMO. I cure in the 64oz jars the first month and use the 32oz jars afterwards for storage. I prefer the 64oz to cure because if I grow 4 plants and get 3-4oz off each plant that’s a lot of damn jars to be opening and closing once or twice a day. Just don’t over fill or under fill the container, about 3/4 full or slightly more. Another grower on the site uses 5 gallon buckets with a gamma ring for large scale growing. I have small 8oz jars for what we smoke daily. Mason jars are way cheaper local than online. Every grocery store has them in the baking isle. WalMart if you’re adventurous
          Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 02-19-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Get a 5 gal bucket and a gamma seal

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              What is a gamma seal?

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Itse an air tight seal you can put on containers, there are several sizes so you can choose a 1 or 2 or 3 gal

Ya'll are making me wonder what size jars I use. lol, my answer is "the normal size" ball jars, but apparently there are many normals out there I do like the Ball jars though for curing / storage.

Comment

• Ckbrew
              Ckbrew commented
              Editing a comment
              Been asking this all my life but, what is normal?

• ChadWestport
              ChadWestport commented
              Editing a comment
              we're not alone then Ckbrew

I have some Kerr 32oz jars and I also have some Golden Harvest 16oz jars, both I bought at Walmart 12 for around $11-12. I have no complaints so far on either of them. If you are having a hard time finding some, I take advantage of Walmart's online ordering. They ship for free from store to store and then all you have to do is pick it up. Doesn't take long either, usually just a few days. If you have a Walmart near you that is.

As far as how many, that depends on a few things but mostly how much you think you'll get. I feel like it's better to have extra and not need them as opposed to needing them and not having them. But you can figure on about 1-1.5oz in a 32oz mason jar for curing. Hope that helps a little.
            Last edited by dphipps1020; 02-20-2021, 01:56 AM.

Comment

In the UK you can get 16+24oz mason jars with screw tops from B+M for 2 quid each.Thats what i use and for what they cost there great.
              Grow tent=120x60x150 for veg,300x150x160 for flowering
              Current grow=4x dwarf autos,
              Medium=coco/perlite 60/40
              Nutrients=canna a+b plus calmag
              Lighting=2x110w QBs for veg,2x600w hps/digital+dimmable for flowering
              Ventilation=Small tent 2x4" ac infinity fans and 2x rhino carbon filters Large tent 8"ac infinity fan+filter.
              Circulation=2x6"oscilating fans in smaller tent, 2x8" oscilating fans and 12" static in large tent
              Pots=12l fabric
              Temps with light on 23-24c,lights of 17-18c

Comment

I buy these buy the case, about a buck each, they are food grade. They have one piece lids both metal and plastic.
                32 oz. Amber PET Straight Sided Jar with 89/400 Neck (Cap Sold Separately) | U.S. Plastic Corp.

With Lids at Amazon
                Amazon.com: Large 32 oz Amber PET Plastic (BPA Free) Refillable Jar with Smooth Foam Lined Black Lid (10 Pack): Health & Personal Care

I like using the amber colored jars.
                Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 02-20-2021, 09:16 PM. Reason: Added Amazon Link
                Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                A tale of two seeds
                Batter Up Sour Deisel
                Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I find the jars a lot of work during the cure. I use the 32oz size and i think about 1oz to 1.25oz per jar is about what i get. I havr started using the Cvault works pretty good and only 1 container to open and does not allow light in during cure and storage. I use the 8 liter ones and they are good for just about 1 pound (12-16 oz)
                  3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
                  New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
                  Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
                  5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
                    bboyfromwayback commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll be checking into these. Opening then closing 16-20 individual jars isn’t my thing either

• Drekthar
                    Drekthar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have 3 of the 8 liter Cvaults and they use the big 65gr Boveda, 2 come with it. Mine has been holding 61% they do make a 21 liter or something like that if you have big harvests

• MrPNW
                    MrPNW commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Drekthar. I currently use the 58% #4s in my Infinty Jars. Came across this interesting comparison article/video. I thought I would use the 62% in the large ones for bulk storage and the 58% in the smaller on has I use them since it can be humid here.

FIND YOUR PERFECT RH: 58% v 62%
                    Choosing the right relative humidity is dependent on your preferences and where you live. In this article we help you decide which RH is right for you.

Dang all the way up to 21L! Wish I could fill that in one grow. LOL
                    If you are looking for size, then look no further than the official CVault 21 Liter Container.The best stainless steel container with lid, ready in a 21 Liter size. This CVault is the latest in dispensary size containers and as always features humidity control in our food grade stainless steel product. Great for dispensaries and food industry professionals.\nDetails on 21 Liter Stainless Steel Container w/Lid\n- Food Grade Stainless Steel\n- Easy Secure Latch System\n- Additional Secondary Zip Tie Securing System (Great for Long Distance Delivery Securing)\n- Interior Dimensions of 13.5" x 10.5" ( 33 CM x 26CM)\n- Capable of Holding 1 Kilo to 2lb of Product Safely\n- Includes a320 gram Boveda Humidity Pack\nAs you can see this is the industry standard forlong term storage for use, dispensing or even transporting large quantities of product as you need it. Don't be fooled by any other container, and use what the professionals use.
                    Last edited by MrPNW; 02-21-2021, 03:30 PM.

Use the wide mouth Mason jar. I use the Bali kind : https://www.amazon.ca/Tebery-Mason-M...3856972&sr=8-6

Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
                  Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
                  Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
                  Full auto grow
                  Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
                  12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I’m partial to glass for storing, I like the idea of the larger size for less work and these flip-top lids with replaceable rubber gaskets.
                    5L (170 oz.) could hold a lot of weed for bulk storage. I’ve got my Infinity Jars for holding the smaller quantities while using it.
                    Last edited by MrPNW; 02-20-2021, 05:40 PM.

Equipment
                    1st Grow
                    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• MrPNW
                      MrPNW commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Drekthar said, “I use the 32oz size and i think about 1oz to 1.25oz per jar is about what i get.”

So here they are today. What’s your guess as to yield?

Not sure what pheno mine are but I’m guessing the more indica one. It’s hard to know with so many issues in the first two months of veg. These were clones from Trail Blazin’ and I’m not sure where theirs started from.

Possible Sources

TGA Genetics (2 phenos) Subcool’s company now the Dank after his death.
                    After years of research and testing we have finally developed a hybrid with very high CBD. In over 70% of tested samples the CBD was in the range of 12-15% CBD and equal parts of THC as well. For those patients looking for a High CBD strain with gre...

SeedFinders experience-based Indoor-Strain-Review for the marijuana-strain Pennywise from the breeder SubCool’s The Dank. SeedFinder's standardized, multilingual, searchable and comparable cannabis

Pacific Seed Bank
                    Looking for quality feminized seeds? Check out Pennywise Seeds! We offer a wide range of strains to choose from. Get the best deal on feminized seeds today!

Looking for quality feminized seeds? Check out Pennywise Seeds! We offer a wide range of strains to choose from. Get the best deal on feminized seeds today!

Equipment
                    1st Grow

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X