Smells and tastes, can we alter them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smells and tastes, can we alter them?

Ok folks, heres the deal. Everyone has there one likes and dislikes, I kewl with that to each their own. On with the tale, folks have been tossing me a few of their buds as I toss them a few of mine. Now I have buds here that came in a folgers can, they taste and smell like coffee. Another set of buds from someone else taste and smell like tobacco (some like this not me). Another made a mistake, has paranoia and yes takes meds for it, anyway they freaked out, pulled their plants and hid them from the thieves (that were not there). I ask about the plants, they told me the tale, and we found them in the fireplace (free standing wood stove) good thing it was not burning at the time. But the weed was horrible smelling and tasting, like smoking an ashtray. That one was last year, today I would try washing it. And even further back, I bought from a girl and the weed always tasted and smelled like perfume.
    Apparently it can and does easily take on smells and tastes from things around it.
    So now I have to wonder if the buds at the dispensaries are altered to taste and smell the way we want.
    What do all y'all think?

In this age of half truths and deception I don't doubt that could be a possibility.
    Our food companies alter tastes, smells and color of foods to make us want to buy more of their products so why would the large cannabis producers be any different?
    Just another reason to grow your own food, cannabis etc.

Comment

I think they can without a doubt. I’ve bought the perfume weed you talked about, I’ve bought off a couple farm boys (I grew up in a very rural area) that most of what they sold smelled like ammonia (we always figured they hid it around their big ammonia tanks on the farm), had others occasionally that had a different taste. All of those were unintentionally I can only imagine what they can do if they’re trying.

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Xena I have to ask if that perfumed weed had the same side effect as what I bought did, it made the guys stand at attention. LOL

• Xena
        Xena commented
        Editing a comment
        Rwise all I can remember about the perfume weed was it tasted terrible, we ended up tossing it and after one or two times from that dealer we found another.

You can buy terpenes in a bottle. A few drops to large bag curing would no doubt add smells or even flavors. I recently bought from a dispensary and this exact thought hit my mind.
      I bet Bob Marley's mansion
      has a garden in the back
      Where he's growing something special
      Some celestial homemade hash
      we'll sit down on his front porch
      And listen to the angels band
      Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

I know a grower who sold to illicit dispensaries and he explained to me how he would put product in a cement mixer and spray various essence oils on it to achieve designer aromas. Back in the day I can remember getting weed that smelled like coffee because smugglers would hide it in coffee shipments because it supposedly covered the weed aroma.

Comment

I bought some weed off a guy some years ago was supposed to be bubblegum but turned out to have been sprayed with what i think may have been a flavoured vape oil. smoked and tasted ok but you could tell something was not right. Maded my grinder stink of it to the point i binned it as couldn't get rid of the smell. But as Woodsman67 said you can buy flavoured terpenes to add like you would nutes during flowering, how well they work i don't know.
          3'x3'x6' Secret Jardin grow tent
          Fox 6" carbon filter and fan with acoustic ducting
          Kocheal 2000w (actual 255w) Led
          Couple of fans for airflow
          First grow 2x RQS Fat Banana 1 x Silver leaf Critical crack og. All photo
          Soil, plain multi purpose compost with perlite added
          Nutrients - Bio Bizz Calmag, Grow and Bloom.

Yellow under blurple makes fluorescent orange 😀

Comment

I have a sample of fruity pebbles terps, should put a few buds in a jar and test it out. I was buying concentrates and extracts to convert to oil for vaping, some need thinning, some don't, almost half price compared to buying dispo vape cartridges.
            Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
            Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
            Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
            Various size fabric grow bags
            Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
            4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
            Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• dphipps1020
              dphipps1020 commented
              Editing a comment
              Just wait until you can make your own concentrates to use, for almost free. Will definitely save you money, even the first time after buying the supplies to do the extraction with.

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              dphipps1020 For sure. My choices are pressing or making hash, right? I've read so much my mind gets boggled sometimes. I have plenty of small stuff to to make tincture or butter but I'd rather vape the nicer buds, for the most part. Thanks.

Interesting topic. It’s really hard to tell what they may do to alter the profiles.

When I was in college I bought weed off the same guy and it always smelled/tasted like cat piss but it was always good shit so we didn’t mind. Went to the dudes house once and there were f’ng cats everywhere. Seriously, it was a disturbing amount of cats. So I’m on board with the buds taking on different profiles dependent on their surroundings

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              You have got to try some "Santa Marta Colombian Gold", very strong flavor tastes/smells like cat piss!

They are 100% sprayed with terps and natural escenses

Comment

I think I’ve gone nose blind to weed. Unless a strain has a strong diesel genetic, they all taste and smell the same. It’s only the diesels that i can really sense a distinct flavor.
              There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
              1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
              2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
              3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

People do all kinds of things from spraying buds for flavor to bleaching dabs for a clear color, when profits are involved, mankind can get pretty shady.

There has been the argument of putting a flavoring in water and if that would work, but many scientific studies later, it doesn't work that way. So this stuff is all done post harvest, which also makes me wonder about growing ethics of the same people that would do these underhanded processes.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The scents Made for hooka tobacco are sold in smoke shops and can be sprayed on buds because theyre Made For smoking

I've been reading about flavor/ scent enhancers used during flower. Some of them are fruity. GH makes a line. Now I'm doubting the terp profile in commercial grown I try. On the other hand, I know a grower who grows great stuff. It is just really mild flavor and scent wise. I think he needs some kind of finisher to increase these terp qualities. He's doing Fox Farm Soil trio. It could also be the strain is just like that.

I think spraying anything, including terp essence pre sale is shady. But I realize the market and expectations are changing. I would never accept it knowingly.

Comment

I am glad we do not have to depend on these folks for our meds! I like some stinky bud, but I want it to be its own stench not a spray on.

Comment

My one concession to attempting flavor influence, is lemon juice. I add it, instead of PH down, in the last half of flower. Does it work? The jury is still out.

I am extremely grateful, we're not at the mercy of dispensaries!
                    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• ChadWestport
                      ChadWestport commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can tell you, it doesn't. Good for Ph adjustment, but ineffective of influencing the taste of buds in any sort of lemon direction. If anything it may increase sugars, which may increase brix in leaf tissue.

BR2K The zest added to the soil may be more influence (also may help prevent aphids) , or even in the jar while curing.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X