No announcement yet.

Anyone in for growing trees? Summer Grow 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't grow trees outdoors(at least not intentionally) because I live in a red state.
    I had to have about 10 large trees removed from around the house this winter.
    This exposed my back yard to about 1/2 day of direct sun, so I'm sticking 3 girls in the back yard. Shouldn't have any worries of prying eyes.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck and be careful! Get active and change your laws!

Looking at the girls this morning, 3 of them were begging me to tie them down, so I got started. I ran out of ties, took a few pics and went for the roll of wire and finished after the pics were taken. But I think you'll get the idea of what I am doing.
    No pics of the sprouts this time.

Comment

I have started again after my disastrous failure last year. Root aphids destroyed 95% of my crop. Last year I tried to control them. Impossible in large containers. Any sign of root aphids now and the plant and soil are removed and start over. I thought I was bringing them in with soil or amendments but I discovered this year that they live in this environment. There is a perenial bush here called a brittle bush and it is the host plant. Just at the time of year I usually plant they come out onto the stems and fly everywhere to start new colonies. A month later and 100+ degrees a couple times, no rain and the bush has died back. The ground is hard as a rock and no water anywhere. Now is the time to plant. Later than I ever have planted before by more than a month. I also put some in at regular time with new soil mix and I hope bug proof topper. No bugs yet. If found plants will go. Here are some pics of experiment and new plants. The bigger plants are a hybrid I made. I removed 5 males today. I am having trouble uploading. I will try again later. I am using 2inches of sand mixed with DTE on surface as a bug proof topper and it seems to be working. So far no visible bugs but they are insidious. I must be very vigilent and check every morning.

Comment

This is the only picture with small enough file to post. I can't figure out how to reduce size of photo files. This is a gall on a brittle bush stem caused by root aphids. They spend the winter in these galls.

Comment

Have you used Beneficial Nematodesor Pyrethrum (parasitic wasps and ladybugs etc.) (Spinosad) to help control them? (rosemary oil)

Early detection and control is highly recommended for root aphids. The damage they cause shows up as yellowing withered leaves. Your plants will not grow vigorously or reach their mature size. If they flower or fruit, the resulting growth will be underdeveloped.

Get rid of ants too!
          This is interesting
          I'm really surprised that no one else has thought of this... there's an easy solution to root aphids in DWC. I fought these bastards in soil for months and couldn't ever get rid of them entirely. I tried MANY methods of control, including strategic use of tanglefoot, diatomaceous earth, etc. I...

Comment

Tried everything had Arbico on speed dial. Made a visit to them. Put nematodes in containers before plants. Nothing works once they are in the large containers. This year I will prevent with barrier and timing of planting. The bugs are done moving around now too hot and dry and soil is like concrete. Now I will plant. There is very little info on these bugs on outdoor grows. I have spent may hours on internet and phone to Universities. Google scholar. All grow publications scanned for info. Is there anything you would like to know about root aphids? Would you like to know the life cycle of a root aphid? Every way so far invented to kill them? Plus all natural and old time remedies? I know and tried all.

Comment

• Greenlivin
              Greenlivin commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a business opportunity!

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Outside is going to be a challenge, here ladybugs was the best thing I have done. They are everywhere this year. For me I have more problems with bugs inside.
              What about h2o2 and water, I have used that to kill gnat larva in the soil.
              IDK your area, but if you can remove under growth these blasted bugs nest on/in and burn it. Maybe a black ground cover over the area with the sun on it would kill them in the soil.

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Cyan pepper may help as well, but me thinks birds wasps and predator bugs will be the best. Not an instant fix for sure it will take time. IF you can have chickens get a dozen chicks while the bugs are above ground and turn loose, they will gladly eat them.
              Ants move them around as a farmer would cattle..

The only thing that will stop them is a barrier or to plant when they are not moving around. The main host plant that they live on is everywhere. In march and April sometimes till May the hills around my place turn yellow with the flowers from millions and millions of brittle bush. The root aphids fly in the trillions along with a thousand other things that hatch same time. I put some in as an experiment as the bugs were flying. I used sand as 70% of grow medium. Then I put 2 inch mixture of sand and dte on top. This so far seems to work. The main crop is going in now that the flowers and flyers are gone. I don't think they fly again till winter. Now if I could figure out how to adjust picture size so I could post pictures. Thank you for you interest and help. I live on the edge of wilderness area and natl. park so clearing large areas is not an option.

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              next time they go into fly mode, turn loose 5000 ladybugs! I would say ladybugs have been my best investment, I bought them when my girls were being eaten, and my grape vine was covered with aphids. I turned loose about 1000 on the grape vine, and the rest on the girls, in a few days there were no aphids left on the vine or the girls. They are everywhere this year, I see so many ladybugs I have to wonder, am I the only one putting them out, or? I have 2 commercial grows near me.

• desertdan
              desertdan commented
              Editing a comment
              I live on the edge of a vast wilderness area no farming anywhere nearby. If I killed everyone of the f##@*&ing things on my place the next day more would flood in to fill the void. If I could drop millions ladybugs over the area by helicopter or something that might work.

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I put out 1500 Ladybugs last year, this year they are everywhere, they were not that costly either. They will breed and make many more until the food is eaten up. Ladybug hotels would be good also, and cheap to make. Fight Mother nature with Mother nature!

The THP 3 seed 1 plant (1 sprouted upside down) MIS 3 seed 2 plants, I dropped a Sour Tangie Fem.
            The autos are starting to grow.
            The GG4, the 2 plants do not look alike, the leaves do, but the build of the plants, one is very bushy the other is not. Hmmm.

Comment

A few different angles today after the rain, the SSK (pic 4) is such a bush I am not sure what I am going to do with it when in full on flower. every single bud/limb site is growing. It is so dam bushy I may have to thin it!

Comment

• swegrow
                swegrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to watch that bush grow even bigger! Wonderful plants!

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                I dont think she will get a lot taller, but she does look like she could produce massive buds! I am seeing preflowers, so IDK what she will do.

This weeks update still flowering but it does appear some leaves look like revegging has begun.
              Attached Files
              4x4 flower tent
              sour dream
              Blue Diesel
              Trainwreck
              platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
              Green Dream
              Sour Dream
              blue dream
              Freakshow

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                I think 1 of my Pieberts is reveging also, the other doesn't show it yet.

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                All mine are revegging also.

Ready for their final pots. Not quite as big as usual but had to keep them inside much longer than expected. Expecting heavy rain today so moved them under the overhang.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are some really healthy looking bushes. There gonna explode in a bigger container

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, like I said. Had to keep moving them inside due to the weather. Looks like smooth sailing now. They definitely need the room. Have almost doubled in size in a week with the natural light.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                They do like real light!

Well it had to happen this year, I think 1 of the Pieberts is trying to reveg.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Rwise I fed my photos extra food of manure/bat guano tea every watering and mine are reverting back into veg cycle. I'm not sure if this helped but a neighbor weedie farmer told me that extra N helps with veg. I didn't give higher dosage in mix just gave it to them everytime they needed water.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                SoOrbudgal Thats interesting, I gave a piebert homemade terpanator (water soluble sulfur and potash) and 3 T molasses, to see if that will keep it in flower. I gave the other girls banana juice, I want them to go ahead and finish, IF they will.

After finding bud rot on my GSC yesterday (lost almost half) I went out and took leaves from the girls that are budding

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Rwise I sent you a message but i'll ask here also...…...are any of your plants reverting back to veg? How long best guess if at all will they go back? Anyone reading this can answer question also. Thanks I've not had a issue like this in many years.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                I have 1 plant, a sour tangie that is reveging, I think the Mazar would if given enuf time. She has a fox tail, but is days off harvest. So far the others are not showing signs of it, and I will clean/feed them as i would normally for flowers, and hope they stay in flower..The next 6 weeks should be interesting.

The pic I missed, and then the Super Skunk Kush, what a bush! I am not looking forward to the defoliation of her, she will need a major hair cut!

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
                FunkyButtLovin commented
                Editing a comment
                A beast of a bush! The 2 SSK I started are still in solo cups. The Honduras x WW ladies have been potted up and are ready to go outside. I'll get a pic or two when they actually get put out in the sunlight.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya, if you get this way stop by and see her in person, she is much more impressive! As you can see in the pics, I have enuf room to distance!

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Rwise did you top that thing at all or just let it go? So full!

Mine never went to flower. Got one in the ground that's taller. Supposed to get into the upper 30s tomorrow night. Hope not too much stress.

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Upper 30s wont bother them, if you get a frost on them get out before sunup and hose them down. Wash all the frost off and they will be ok to about 28*, if you know its going to frost cover them!..

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X