Making Cannabis Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Cannabis Oil

sorry for posting what I'm sure is a newbie question but: I want to make some oil but the internet is giving me conflicting advice. imagine that! do I need to decarb the flower first and then use it to make oil or can I just break up the buds and cook it up in the oil? I'm thinking I'll likely use the mason jar and boiling water bath for one or both steps. any advice appreciated!

The internet is garbage. Go to the GWE website and do a search for RSO.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

personally, i decarb first.

Comment

Any time you do anything with weed other then smoke it. You need to decarb.

Comment

I decarb mine first. However, I still haven’t had the best luck in getting a strong oil.
          Current Grow:
          • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
          • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
          • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
          ​​​​Nutrients
          • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
          • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
          • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
          • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
          • Black Strap Molasses
          • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
          • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Comment

I decarb the weed before I put it in Everclear. When it's ready, I recycle the alcohol out in my Source machine, and it makes kickass FECO (full Cannabis extract oil, or RSO). Way too strong for me, but couple of friends like to take a capsule and trip all day.

If your oil isn't strong, I'd bet that your temperatures are too high and you're heating away a lot of the chemicals.
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Greenlivin
              Greenlivin commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d be really interested in learning your process alltatup

• dphipps1020
              dphipps1020 commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the same method except I evaporate the alcohol out cause I don't have a fancy machine for it yet and it works great for me. I actually melted some oil into butter and made mini banana bread muffins the other day and they came out pretty good got over 2 tsp worth (I put it in a medicine syringe for medicating kids) out of 50g of trim. Usually use it for gummies cause they keep better in my pocket at work. Even found some pot leaf molds for them finally!
              Federal funding for this type of research is nearly impossible to obtain. By purchasing this product, you are helping to support this very important research project. YUMMY TREATS: Can be used for making cupcake toppers, edibles, chocolate snacks, hard candy, fondant, butter patties and other amazing creations.

Basically anyone not having luck I would recommend using the RSO method on GWE.
              Last edited by dphipps1020; 01-24-2020, 02:12 PM.

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              Greenlivin Here I made concentrate with the Source: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-concentration

I will PM you my tincture recipe for Green Dragon: not for vaping or smoking, but a great high early in the morning on an empty stomach.

I’m agreeing with all the comments so far.... while I’ve heard some folks NOT decarb it first, it just works well for me to do so ... alltatup said it the same way it hits me... way too strong. Imagine that you using a near 90% potency? It flattens you out. So, quite possibly if you are not decarbing such a strong concentrate, it may have a lesser punch and still provide the cannabinoid benefits?

Comment

If it's not decarbed before eaten, you got no ticket, you got no laundry. If it's not decarbed, you're getting nothing but THC-A and all the other -A's If it's not decarbed, that's for figuring out clever ways to smoke it. Dabbing that stuff is dirty so don't do it unless you're using an old banger or nail or whatever you use. If you don't dab, forget that bit. I dab. Sooo...
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6
              Nutes
              CalMag

Comment

thanks for all the good tips, guys and gals, much appreciated! my question should have been a bit clearer, NOT trying to make RSO or tincture...also found good info at https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-caps

Comment

This brings up a question I have been pondering. I extracted using ethanol (no-decarb). Could I potentially decarb the extract (it’s like pull and snap wax consistency) and make eatables after that?
                  is decarbibg the extraction wax any different from decarbing plant material?
                  4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                  3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                  2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                  running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I prefer using shatter/wax/whatever to decarb and make things Toker1 All the removal of compounds from the flower has already been done. A huge part of the work is done for you.
                    For butter or chocolate, I melt either with the appropriate low heat or double boiler. The concentrate is decarbed in a 5x9 pyrex style bread pan. When decarbing is done and the temp cools to somewhere around the butter or chocolate temperature (I have a laser thermal thermometer) I mix them together in the pyrex with a spoon. Can't think of an easier way to do the process other than getting someone else to do it.
                    Decarbing is also way super easier, too. Like I said, stripping the compounds has been done. The process is way quicker. Easier to tell when decarb is done because the concentrate stops boiling in the pyrex. There can be a difference of 5 minutes of oven time depending on the quality of the concentrate.
                    Unless I wind up with gobs of weed, I prefer buying a gram of shatter than blasting however much it takes to get a gram. I say that being a bigger fan of making my own than buying.
                    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                    3x3x6
                    Nutes
                    CalMag

Comment

Before I started using cryo-ethanol extraction to produce extract, I made canna oil with a rice cooker. It will decarb the thc while it infuses the oil. The only messy part of the process is squeezing out the oil from the flower.
                      WHAT???
                      5x5 grow space
                      900w of Vero's and F-strips
                      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X