Led grow lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led grow lights

Which is the better grow light for a 4x4? What will yield more?

Those are both nice lights for sure but I don't feel like either one will actually give you great performance flowering a full 4x4. I think they would fit a 32"x32" great and be adequate for a 36"x36" but if you actually want to have enough light to flower a full 4'x4' tent you're going to want something with a bigger footprint or use multiples like maybe a pair of MarsHydro TSL2000s or SP250s. It's not much more money but you'd get a way better spread., the ability to only use one when you only need to light a smaller area (I know the VS1350 is dimmable) and if you have a warranty issue with a light, you'll have another one already to at least have enough light to keep plants healthy and growing while waiting for the other one. If you could deal with a tiny bit more heat, you could go 600w MH/HPS and a Daisy reflector for half of what you were going to spend on an LED.

I have a 400w MH AND a 400w HPS going in my 4X4 right now and the temp is 68.0 at the soil under the HPS bulb, ambient temp of the room that houses the tent is 65.5 degrees. If I tried to run only LEDs right now I would also have to run the heater in that room so for me the HID is actually more efficient than LED in winter.

The hygrometer/thermometer is just to the right of the HPS wire in the middle 2gal pot if you can't read it, it's at 68.0F
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jzrfp70.jpg
Views:	1749
Size:	5.50 MB
ID:	358033
    (flowering autos on the left, vegging photos on right)

Comment

I am a total noob building a shopping list and doing a sh**load of research on lights, setups, cannabis, etc. I’d like to grow at least pound Anyway, I have thought about going the hps route to save money on buying a light. A lot of growers also swear by them. How do I control the heat? I am getting a 6 inch carbon filter system, two clip on 6 inch fans for up above and two small usb desk fans for the floor. I heard too much wind is overkill. I’m getting a hand mister as a humidifier and a dehumidifier. Am I leaving anything out? Also, I have heard some growers using 1000 watts for a 4x4. Is that too much?

Comment

I used a 1000w hps for years in a 5x5 tent until the zipper broke ,either one of those LEDs will do .my question is how much ceiling height do you have those lights will have to be between 20 and 30 inches ,so if you want to grow a 4 foot high plant you need a 7 foot ceiling , when you hang your fan try and have the ducting in a straight line and be as short as possible

One thing you will find out there will be 12 different ways to accomplish the same thing ,go with what sounds right to you .Most people here will not say your doing something wrong or dont do that, I like to say in my grows i did this or that , We love newbs read as many of the tutorials you can in fact there is a shopping list to set up with
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

I Think you would do better with Rapid LED
          Chilled Logic 4' x 4' LED Grow Kit

You don’t have to be better than everybody else. You should strive to be better than you ever thought you could be.------Todd Y. 1986

Comment

If you're dead set on leds consider a white light set up over blurple. I currently run leds with great results on the first time around. If your doing homework research cmh/lec. That seems to be the future of hobby cannabis in my opinion - and you can produce a pound
            Ready to grow up to a pound of cannabis at home? All you need to do is follow the 8 simple steps of this growing tutorial using a 315 LEC grow light.
            *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
            ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
            *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
            *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
            You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

If you are looking for yield and efficiency in an LED. I would suggest going with a quantum board. You won’t be disappointed.
              4x4 600w HID empty for summer
              3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
              2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
              running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Welcome, Cammy.
                Lighting choices can be confusing. I like to work backward when choosing a light. A 4x4 has 16 sq ft of the area you're trying to illuminate. Most recommend 50 watts/ sq ft when using HID fixtures like HPS and CMH. That also applies to older generation diodes used in 'blurple' led fixtures. Current tech-led fixtures are much more efficient at converting watts of electricity into photons of light so 30 watts/ sq ft is a good density. So, 800 actual watts of HID or older blurple leds for a 4x4 or 480 watts of current tech led's.
                p.s. Always look for the actual power consumption on led fixtures. The imaginary wattage listed in the product description is useless for comparison.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I agree with those that are recommending the COB/Chilled Logic/Quantum Board LED’s.

The Viparspectra is a nice enough light but it still uses the older Epiled/Bridgelux diodes and the truth is they just aren’t as efficient as an LED should be. The MarsHydro light looks to be using a Quantum board design but they don’t say what chips they are using so it’s probably a knockoff of the Samsung LM301B. If they were using the real thing they would let everyone know it.

COB lights(Chip on Board) offer better efficacy than the older tech diodes as well as focused intensity for good penetration but because the light is focused they lack good coverage. 16 sq. feet would require 8 to adequately cover the area in flower.

I like the Chilled Logic Pucks, they’re basically small Quantum boards packed with chips. Kind of like a COB/Quantum board hybrid. They’re a nice balance of spread and intensity. The kits sold on RapidLed are a bit over built in my opinion, free hanging individual pucks is the way to go with them. Add more when you need them, take them away when you don’t, no need for the frame. Again the tightly packed chips allows great intensity and penetration but lacks coverage area.

Quantum Boards are like expanded COB’s. They spread the chips out over larger boards expanding the coverage area. They do sacrifice penetration to some degree but they can be up to 25% more effective at converting energy into photons than COB’s. The exact efficacy of Quantum boards depends largely on how they are driven.

If you’re willing and able to DIY your own Quantum Board fixture, it can be done for your space for about $100 more than the lights your looking at now with the ability to run up to 37.5 watts per sq. ft. of quality made LED’s.
                  Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

CammyGee welcome and as you can see lighting is a very strong topic and all of what you may have just read is extremely valid. Since light means quality growing, they are likely the most important part of you setup. The technology on led lighting is still evolving. Within 9 months you may find a whole new series of options for led fixtures and prices change quickly. Certainly since your buying new fixtures, look at the white full spectrum leds. They can give you full coverage within the light spectrum beneficial to your growing plants. I’ve had significant good grows with blurple, white led , HPS and 315CMH . My experience with the 315CMH in a 40x40” while producing excellent plants, is just a touch lacking in coverage and in a 4’x4’ in coverage even more so for my taste. It falls off on the edges and can’t provide the plants with all the lighting it should have to produce great buds BUT IT IS A VERY GOOD LIGHT. I’d use it in a second.

As gbauto mentioned, 30 w /sqft using newer leds is a good plan. Several options exist from commercial fixtures to diy and all revolve around cost. If you have any options for do-it-yourself look around. Several great lighting projects are out there . I’ve promoted this one. https://youtu.be/XAFdc6WZF-g

I have ZERO connection to it ...I don’t know the guys behind it and it takes forever to order them....but I’ve built 7 sets of them and they are terrific

sorry for adding to the confusion

Comment

• Farmall
                      Farmall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I should clarify that while the coverage of the 315CMH has size limits, any plants that fall under it can just come out beautifully...it is a great light especially when coupled with a quality bulb like the hortiux or Phillips

Originally posted by Farmall View Post
                    CammyGee
                    Several options exist from commercial fixtures to diy and all revolve around cost. If you have any options for do-it-yourself look around. Several great lighting projects are out there . I’ve promoted this one. https://youtu.be/XAFdc6WZF-g

I have ZERO connection to it ...I don’t know the guys behind it and it takes forever to order them....but I’ve built 7 sets of them and they are terrific

sorry for adding to the confusion
                    PLC gear is top notch.
                    WHAT???
                    5x5 grow space
                    900w of Vero's and F-strips
                    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I appreciate the input guys! I think I may go the hps route for now to save money on beginning my setup. I’m not looking to spend over 1000 dollars to get started growing in a 4x4. Maybe, I’ll go with higher quality LED’s later on when I gain more experience growing. I’m thinking two 400 watt hps lights would be good for a 4x4 where the rule of thumb as said above is 50 watts per square foot. 50x16 is 800.

Does a light brand with hps matter or is hps just a standard light? I go on amazon and see vivosun and ipower hps lights. Are either of those decent to go with? I was thinking of getting two of these seen in the photo.

Comment

• Obi-Wan
                        Obi-Wan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In terms of reliability you get what you pay for with HID systems. I went with a cheaper Apollo kit and I’ve been lucky enough not to have any issues after almost 2 years running but I consider myself the exception not the rule. I will say with confidence that if you are planning to use them in an enclosed space such as a tent I strongly recommend an air cooled hood. They are the best combo of light spread and heat removal. The gull wing reflectors like the one you have pictured are best used in open spaces were the entire room is temperature controlled. The Cool Tubes work ok with the longer 1000 watt bulbs but for a 400 watt bulb the bulb is off center affecting the already average light spread. The brand of the bulb will absolutely make a difference. I use Hortilux bulbs and replace them once every 12-18 months.
                        Last edited by Obi-Wan; 12-19-2019, 05:23 PM.

• Farmall
                        Farmall commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Obi-Wan makes a substantial statement. The air-cooled hood I first tried was a cool tube with a 1000w HPS and it really needed venting, kept a cold warehouse space at 72F with the vent blowing thru a 6” tube thru November yrs ago. Inside was near 82 and I quickly went to a well-made sealed , vented hood and cloudline t-6 fan.

If you can afford one get a premium bulb and save the one it comes with as a spare, you won't be disappointed with a better bulb
                      *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
                      ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
                      *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
                      *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
                      You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X