Decarboxylation, not just for edibles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarboxylation, not just for edibles?

I am wondering if decarboxylation is applicable for other ways in consuming cannabis. Decarb is NECESSARY to make quality edibles, plenty of guides about that. I understand that when heat is applied, smoking for instance, decarb happens almost immediately. What would be the result of decarbing before butane extraction? Would it make any difference, be it positive or negative. Not just butane, can decarb impact any thing other than when making fine edibles.
    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
    You never know when you might need a little C4

I dont know for sure but i think that there are differing opinions on this. From what i understand with smokables you dont need to do a decarb as the act of smoking will convert THCA to THC. Thats why you dont need to decarb weed that you smoke. The info that i have found about decarbing stuff like shatter and BHO is that it is done after extraction. That said i dont think it's necessary, as when you smoke it it decarbs naturally. There seems to be evidence that it does raise the concentrate THC level by a little but i dont understand why it would be any different when you smoke it as the same process is happening, just a dab at a time. The main reason to not decarb is that decarbing can destroy terps and effect taste and if done incorrectly can actually degrade THC levels. My opinion is dont do it unless it is necessary for edibles.

All this said and im not an expert so i'd love to hear others opinions on this as well!

Comment

Tersky I believe you're right there. Mrblu The only reason to decarb your weed/trim is if you're not heating it up when you ingest it, no matter how dabs, bowls, joints etc. All of those you are heating up the THCa therefore activating the THC while using. Edibles for example aren't really being heated up enough to decarb when making them so you have to do it first for the best results.

Comment

I only make edibles and grow. My brother in law makes all the other products. Legal grows of course. But we just got our BHO equipment.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1575556303698.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	355197
        You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          I kinda wish there was just the bho thing and the miniature behind it so i could make some reference joke like "IT"S GODZILLA!!!" or "What is that, a school for ants behind it?"....Sry, just had morning bong hit!

Very cool !! How big is that ?
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

• Spidermite
          Spidermite commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been so busy finishing up harvest that I havent even see it yet. Hopefully I'll be done by Monday so I can play chemist too.

I always go with decarbed shatter for edibles. Easy to dose.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

THCA naturally decarbs somewhat over time. So taking herb that isnt so great and putting it up in jars and letting it sit for longer times can increase felt effects. There is that, whether you consider time an actual decarb process is another thing.
          I bet Bob Marley's mansion
          has a garden in the back
          Where he's growing something special
          Some celestial homemade hash
          we'll sit down on his front porch
          And listen to the angels band
          Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

My prescription herb comes with 2 numbers for THC on the label: “Actual” and “Potential”

The “actual” number represents the weight/gram of physical turps/crystals on the surface of the plant matter.
            The “potential” number represents the weight/gram amount of THC + THCa in the plant matter.

Most of the time the difference between the two can be upwards of four to six times the “actual” measurement. For example: Actual = 3% and Potential = 18% (or higher)

If you don’t burn it, decarb it.

There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Follow up question if I may? I decarbed a bunch over the Thanksgiving break. Due to underage grandkids about I couldn't get my baking done. Or rather I made some firecrackers but nothing else yet. Do I store the remaining quantity the same as I'd keep long term bud? With or without moisture packs?
              TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
              EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
              AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
              IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

I store decarbed weed (I make capsules) the same way as I do for long term storage-
                I do put a boveda pack in- but doubt it is really doing anything.

There are some on this forum who decarb all weed, to be smoked or not.
                It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Sounding like decarb is meant for edibles. while I could decarb anything it would serve little to no purpose of the end product will be smoked. Thank you all for your input
                  *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
                  ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
                  *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
                  *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
                  You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

I have heard people say that decarbing before smoking can make weed taste stale. Makes sense it would be a flatter taste if you’ve decarbed away the terpenes.

has anybody had the same experience?
                    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
                    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
                    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
                    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Rwise
                      Rwise commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, I am reducing temps and extending time to save the terps,,,IDK if it works yet as I have not tried to smoke any,,,, the brownies were nice!

If I remember correctly, there is a video on the Ardent Nova site where Shanel says the decarbed weed needs less to get high? Maybe I’ve gotta go watch that one again...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X