No announcement yet.

Making higher proof alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a still, I have/make blackberry wine and want blackberry brandy,,,, it does as I understand it take a few passes to get the water out as some will evaporate and get to the finish line without boiling.
    With a still (and a bit of other equipment), sack of corn, sugar, and some yeast one can make their own moonshine,,, er,,, solvent (disclaimer, check your local laws on brewing)

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise, we got some country boys round here who make the real smoove shit...

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I had the family recipe, but it died with the old folks, they said it was nothing but trouble,,,

Bah Rwise!
    Laws are for suckers and squares. Stick it to 'the man' and brew swimming pools of high grade, low quality, paint stripping booze in a small closet with the light out. Safety can take a back seat. Run through the house with scissors. Do it drunk and stoned. Let the shine drip directly from the distiller to your mouth. Brew in front of children and pets.
    Yeah, man. Suckers and squares.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Gingerbeard, you are a menace II society. Be an anarchist, that's a good thing, but don't run around drunk in the dark with the scissors! That's one stupid ass accident waiting to happen.

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup I said run with scissors while drunk and stoned and brew in the dark. I didn't say to run with scissors in the dark. That's nuts.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Just because I put up a disclaimer does not mean we follow the law,,, my hood is described by the LEOs as "6 square miles of junkies and thieves, the only known place one can go door to door looking for drugs and find anything they want."
      We do like out freedom, even if it is not legal,,,,

alltatup A cat's knowing about human suffering is not empathic to a cat's caring of human suffering. Dog will instinctively, altruistically lick the face of suffering humans.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

How often does this happen? 57% of cats have the same dog spit disease.
    Cat Scratch Disease, from the CDC website.
    Using data from a large national health insurance claims database, we estimated that the annual
    incidence
    of CSD is 4.7 per 100,000 persons <65
    years
    of age and that a total of 12,500 patients in this age group receive a CSD diagnosis each
    year
    in the United States.
    Regardless, dog kisses are cute. Cat kisses are... manipulative.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry man, didn’t mean to cause a cat vs dog debate. I personally have no animals to care for. I prefer it that way. I don’t mind a dogs company.

Oh, no Toker1. I will give a general apology to any of my humor offends. I am playing the devils advocate. Although I am not a fan of cats and have not exaggerated how cats treat me, I know they provide love and comfort to some kinds of people. My ex brought two cats into our relationship. One was an outside cat. After about two weeks it was gone. We lived on canyons that had coyotes. Pretty sure whatever the cat's name was became part of the ecosystem. The other cat I don't know the name of had something in it's throat that had to be operated on. I cared for the cat during most of it's recovery. My ex liked the cat but couldn't handle the icky parts. Animals... even... well... you know... don't know why they hurt and shouldn't hurt. I could just as easily have mentioned giraffe licks. One swipe'o that sumbitch will knock you on your ass.
    I am serious about other things like vape products and laws and that. I am also serious about bashing cats. But in a fun cat bashing sort of way.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Think of cats as hairy tomatoes. You can do the same to each. Peel them, puree them, and such. They're versatile and taste good hot or cold. Mmm... bowl of cat cereal for breakfast. Smoke a nice, dried and cured hairball rolled in kitty litter hash! That's the money shot, (girl)boy-o.

• LurkingInTheGrass
      LurkingInTheGrass commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL

That puts a whole new spin on gazpacho 😁

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      In German, a 'z' is pronounced 'ts'. Gatspacho.

I recall a tune by Ted Nugent concerning leptospirosis.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call @quirk
      On a personal note, the only TN song I can get down with is the long version of 'Strangle Hold'. Cat Scratch Fever was done to death.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh lordy, let's not talk about ted neugent, one truly repugnant individual...

Geesum Crow, ( that’s one of those New England local expressions). This has gone berserk... sounds like we’re drinking the alcohol and not distilling it 😉

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      My speech and ideas would be much less intelligible were I to be drinking. I would be crying and telling you how much I hated something beautiful. Since I can't remember what the question was I just gave the answer to, because of weed, I am apt to segue frequently and tell you how much I love something ugly.

I miss spoke yesterday alcohol changes state at 173% so if you keep your temp at 180% and water doesn't change state until 220% theoretically you should not get water in your alcohol , if you install a thumper it supposed to distill the alcohol again as the process goes on
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

gbauto You put me on the correct path. It's possible, not probable. Trying remove the final moisture from 191 would be silly. Home distillation is about reclamation and higher proofing something like 151.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

Wait a min. Are we still talking about extractions? Or just leaving behind water. Sure, making a higher proof could be beneficial. Let’s say you could control temp within +\- 10Deg F. So you boil the ethanol and are making a higher proof. Does that mean your water/THC/cbd and other oils mixture doesn’t get dried properly?
        I think we have gone off on a tangent here. You won’t be making a higher proof anything if you are still drying your THC/cbd and other oils mix into a smokable product.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Yep, tangents. I was looking for what my last post said but my opening conversation didn't match the subjects and ensuing posts led me astray. My intent was to talk about distilling alcohol to make stronger alcohol. gbauto said just the right words that sparked me to research the idea that without special extra processing, food grade ETOH is not possible above 191 proof. Others may have said it but he gets credit for sparking me. Something scientific about water and booze bonding.
          Cats that feel human angst. Cat scratch fever. Poisonous dog licks. Ted Nugent. Tangents, man. Tangents.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            You know.... 2 known tangents on one circle can prove/disprove congruency. 🧐

Much easier way to make a higher proof is stick the water/ethanol mixture in the freezer. The water freezes but the alcohol will not. Then the ice crystals can be removed by coffee filter. If you get it all done before the ice melts, you can obtain a higher proof than what you started with.
          I would suggest this method over distilling.
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Toker1
            Nature is in all of us. Will drinking denatured alcohol suck out my good nature and replace it with undesirables? Like how Twinkies are made from bananas? Suck the good nature of a banana and you have a Twinkie. Think about it. Slice one of each in half and compare the sections. Yes, yes. It may kill me and blind me and whatever if I'm not careful and junk. Like Twinkies. But what about my nature? I hate bananas. I don't hate Twinkies.

Making butter with 4 grams of decarbed weed is NOT the same as decarbing 4 grams of weed and making butter. Man, did I get my ratio wrong. I sort of knew it going in, 'tho.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              God or a god? I can't eat God alltatup. The flesh of Jeesus. not problem. Apparently it's made out of flour and water, if I ever wanted to got the cannibal route is all I'm saying.
              It looks like my banana/Twinkie connection is well founded. The cream filling was originally banana flavored.

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              God, Gingerbeard , God. The God.

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm...
              God is a Hostess branded, crème filled, log of goodness that is also good when fried at state fairs? Dudette, I'm converted!
              But I'm on a diet so I'll have to stick with the flour and water for a while.
              Last edited by Gingerbeard; 10-27-2019, 10:04 AM.

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
            Wait a min. Are we still talking about extractions? Or just leaving behind water. Sure, making a higher proof could be beneficial. Let’s say you could control temp within +\- 10Deg F. So you boil the ethanol and are making a higher proof. Does that mean your water/THC/cbd and other oils mixture doesn’t get dried properly?
            I think we have gone off on a tangent here. You won’t be making a higher proof anything if you are still drying your THC/cbd and other oils mix into a smokable product.
            For me, the point of using the highest proof solvent is to reduce the amount of water in the solvent that can absorb chlorophyll. Water is what brings all of the undesirable components into your oil.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I’m a 200proofer lab grade quality kind of extractor. Check out my link above. It’s costly... but quality control doesn’t come for free.

• Farmall
              Farmall commented
              Editing a comment
              I have read that the 100% alcohol will begin to absorb water the second the bottle is opened?

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              True, but we are talking such a small amount being absorbed that it is basically negligible. Just don’t leave the cap off when you store it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X