New training method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New training method?

I have been using a training method for a few grows now that I have not seen anywhere else, and could not find any examples of online. So I wanted to post something about it on here to try and get some feedback. The basic idea is to twist the main stem of the plant so that the fan leaves grow parallel instead of perpendicular. I like this method because it allows me to have 2 halves of the plant where there are no fan leaves to block light/ be trained. I have twisted the stems of both plants in my current grow about 3 or 4 times. I have a lot more information if anyone is interested, but I have really enjoyed the results I've seen so far from training my plants this way.
    --the picture shows how the stem was twisted in order to line all the fan leaves up

That is some mean scaffolding you have going there. Any more timeline pics to see how it grows out?

Comment

The two individual pictures show each plant right before the switch to flowering, and is the best example of the fan leaves growing parallel. The last picture shows what they currently look like

Comment

Never seen that before - Never seen stems looking so pale and skinny.
        If you take a straw and twist it around - it's gonna be hard to drink any water out of that straw, don't ya think.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• KenPiffyJR
          KenPiffyJR commented
          Editing a comment
          It's had a good effect for me, I thought it might hurt how the plant grew when the stem was twisted. But the plant has grown well and seems to be evenly distributing energy all the way to where it was topped. Also, for whatever reason, this plant has been a light green shade it's whole life

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          A straw doesn't heal itself. I have a plant with brittle branches. Two got split from the trunk. There is no difference between the growth on the split stems and the un-split. The only treatment was tying things together and a spray of hydrogen peroxide and water.
          This sounds like real slow HST to me. The right kind of damage make mo' better.
          I trained a spiral that twisted like that.
          Last edited by Gingerbeard; 05-05-2019, 12:02 PM. Reason: Adding pics below

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          The crushing of the stem usually creates a hole where the Woody area would typically be when she heals up. So the “straw” is easier because it becomes hollow in the center. A hollow straw is much easier to drink out of than a wood stuffed one.
          I have seen this method before, but never with so many twists of the stem. It’s kind of like a form of super cropping.

Hmmm...Twisted sisters?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer my joints twisted

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          PRIMO I'd like to know what you wanna do with your life...

...from my response above.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          She looks tortured to me... Way too much...

Looks like she's circling the wagon I've never taken off as much growth sites, that's wicked looking. I may hold off abit before I try that method.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. It was one of the first plants I grew. Major over-defoliation. It was just an example of a twisted stem.

I did it with the growth sites on my mega mouth right on the manifold before I opted to clip anything more than the 10 colas and good thing I did but deffinatly gonna try on the next grow to speed thing up a bit
        DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
        250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
        current grow: feminized blue wizard
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Comment

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          You're supercropping, I believe. Take a look at...
          Super cropping is easy, free, and surprisingly effective at getting your current grow room to produce bigger yields in the exact same setup. Find out exactly what to do right here!

• Graff420
          Graff420 commented
          Editing a comment
          No supercropping is pinching the stem to make it weak lay it down hold it up till the knuckle heads I'm talking about takeing nebulas manifolding technique and when I cut the 2 tops 3 nodes up I take the 2nd node and twist it partially deffinatly not to the extreme your doing but all I have is one on each top growth I have to force in line with the others and hold them there for at least 3 weeks it doesn't seem to affect my plants but again I stop after one twist

I have been doing this for years. I think the stress stimulates the growth.

Comment

• KenPiffyJR
          KenPiffyJR commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great example of what I was going for. I also think the stress of twisting the stem seems to make it swell up, especially after topping the plant. Thanks for the feedback

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that's lovely.

• mingzhu
          mingzhu commented
          Editing a comment
          The right pressure! I used to accidentally break a main branch in the main lining training; the plant became three arms! In order to distribute the subsequent growth evenly, I made a twist; I made the plants three branches evenly; I got a surprise! After about 15 days, I found that the twisted stems had extra expansion at the joints and they were very thick! (Stalks are plants that absorb nutrients from the roots to transport nutrients to the apex and branch channels, the shorter and wider the channels; the top nutrients will be able to get more!) This will lead to big colas! All training on harvesting; I will follow the 3 principles~1: Let plants build strong roots, 2: Let plants give maximum light and nutrients in the digestible range (they need balance data!), 3: Try to transport nutrient channels ~ stems! Become stronger! Of course; skills and theory I have been learning; thanks to the great website, thanks to the nebula and the experience sharing of all the great growers! Cheers

I'm slow I still don't get it what is the purpose of twisting the plant ,I always thought the growth nodes were opposing for more light,air,ect.
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• KenPiffyJR
          KenPiffyJR commented
          Editing a comment
          I twisted the main stem in order to get all the fan leaves to one side or the other instead of having them in a complete circle. I liked the way it stressed the plant and it was easier not having to constantly train the big fan leaves. I use defoliation to get the airflow I want through the plant

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you OJH - I don't get it. Certainly won't try it either.

JH. When I LST, instead of bending it straight down. I twist the stem and bend it to one side or the or the other. That process puts a twist in the stem. I believe the stress it puts on the plant increases the volume. BTW, I don't top my plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
          ...from my response above.
          That reminds me of this photo on the GWE LST page talking about if you don't want to top the plant you can just twist it around. Not sure of any other differences, but the photos look similar.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/wp-cont...rvest-buds.jpg

http://prntscr.com/nlaosp

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that photo was one of my inspirations. However, that person knew what the hell was going on. It's a great shape for a small space. This is where the twisting happens. Like KenPiffy, the main branch gets twisted 90 degrees when each successive set of leaves is strong enough to be twisted. Every leaf/flower node gets exposed to light. Or give it little twists at a time to keep it rotating. I gave the stalk a good bend when it was young to get some supercropping going.
            This is how it wound up. In the end, each of the buds were equally paltry. Equally. Please forgive the butchery.

No idea why this created a new post...
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

Its a quite good idea no doubt.

Comment

KenPiffyJR I've given this idea some thought and to a certain extent I think I do something similar but all together different.

Explanation: I twist branches all the time, we have to in order to get the growth tips to face the direction we want them. I always top my plants at least once and normally I leave 2 sequential nodes on the main so I can create an “X”. In an effort to get all the side branches to face up, I twist each branch so both sides are parallel. Where we differ is that I alternate the direction of the twist with each new node on a particular side of the branch, this allows me to keep the nodes parallel without constricting the feeding properties of the branch.

Conclusion: While I don’t twist the main stem, I don’t see anything wrong with twisting stems. We don’t do things exactly the same, but if what you’re doing works for you, keep doing it!!
              Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X