Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DankwingDuck
    commented on 's reply
    Once the roots grow down into the bucket they are submerged in the water . The top feed ring is for the seedling prior to the roots growing out on the net pot and into the bucket below.

• Farmall
    replied
    So this is my 3rd post of beginner questions and I am thinking about going with a full hydroponic system when the time comes. I had asked this question elsewhere in the forum but since all of you are hydro guys, the answer might be right in front of me. I saw what appears to be a recirculating system that top feeds the buckets for 15 minutes every hour and drains into a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone under the net pot. An overflow strainer is mounted to retain about 3 gallons in the bucket and the rest of the solution is returned to a 17 gallon reservoir with air stones and a water pump. 24/7 on the air.

my question is... is this how a system like this will operate throughout the entire grow period? I am aware of solution changes and maintenance over the course of time but I have read top feed is good to start but then I’d would question how do the plants continue to be fed fresh nutrients if the top feed of solution is discontinued?

Also, what can be done to clear up something called Botrytis... apparently from excessive rain or dampness ( sorry that it’s not a hydro question)

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Scientist, you might want to re-think that: there's dangerous stuff in your product: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ient-LC50-data
    Last edited by alltatup; 09-11-2018, 05:52 PM.

• SinsemillaScientist
    replied
    I do believe ive found a product that knocks out root rot and its various counterparts. And it only cost me 5 bucks! I also run sevral large aquariums and when algae breaks out i use algaefix its doesnt alter ph, its safe for plants and animals and it knocks out alage in a day! Good for in a pinch without sm90!

Leave a comment:

• Baphomatt
    commented on 's reply
    DankwingDuck - Good catch, thanks! Senior moment. (I guess technically you *could* clone an auto, but you'd probably have a 6" tall stem with one node and a 3" flower!)

• FlyingDutchPaddy
    commented on 's reply
    So farmerjim , If i'm understanding you correctly, you would seem to agree with the idea.
    In hydro or DWC systems plants can also be 'growth limited' by the working water volume of the tote.

smaller tote, roots can't grow as big due to space constraints, smaller plant... growth limited by volume roots can develop in.
    big tote, roots can really spread out in the larger space, bigger plant... potential for plant to overtake the grow space if left untrained

with the assumption that lighting conditions are equal.

Does anyone have any experience with growing in a smallish RDWC system and top-fed DIY 10-13 Gal totes in the same lighting conditions, possibly over multiple grows?

• DankwingDuck
    commented on 's reply
    You can’t clone an auto so it had to come from seed

• IGH
    replied
    My fellow bucketheads and builders!

been doing tons of research and pondering remedies for my cluster F of a tent arrangement. this thread has been a good help hearing what others try and likes n dont likes and why.
    ive decided on another major overhaul. major.

i ordered zippers, and the entire wall on the right side will be able to open.
    site space will be moved from center to the right side half of the tent.
    equipment on left wall stays in place.

im also building a new system. i want a racecar. hydro is expensive to run, so efficiency is important. up to this point ive been filling 5x5 with 4 plants and 8-10 week veg, and 8 plants at 6-7 week veg.
    the plan is to build a 12 site system that will accomodate a 4x6 canopy space that will fill n flip in 4 weeks, and still maintain my harvest weights. (4×4=1lb+, 5×5=1.5lbs+).

individual square bucket sites...no more tubs and round buckets. everything will fit within the growspace out of the way, and i will have WIDE open access from both sides to do my work.

the 2 grows presently in the tent went 12-12 this past weekend, so i have plenty of time to get it all together and ready to install as soon as those come down.

thats the plan. will update with pics n progress.

Leave a comment:

• LurkingInTheGrass
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you both
    Obi-Wan and IGH

Much appreciated!!

• IGH
    commented on 's reply
    go big. i use a 3800 gph to run (4) 20 gal reservoirs, 3 large cylinder stones each raises water level nearly 2 inches. its enough to run a 10 site system of 7 gal buckets no problem.
    big pumps get hot tho so have at least 10 ft of line to your manifold or you will be blowing HOT air into your res!!

• Obi-Wan
    commented on 's reply
    For 10 buckets I would recommend this at a minimum.

EcoPlus Commercial Air 7 - 200 Watt Single Outlet 3804 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FUOB4S..._KlXIBb2JJTZC1

• Baphomatt
    commented on 's reply
    farmerjim - If you don't mind me asking, was your auto Lemon OG from clone or seed? If from seed, do you mind if I ask where you got it? I have a couple of those that were freebies from MSNL and am curious about them.

• LurkingInTheGrass
    replied
    Can anybody point me to a write up/discussion/thread about air pumps for DWC?

I know more air/bubbles is better

I can find the GH dual diaphragm pump - it's only rated for 320 GPH (little over 20 L / min). Manufacturer suggests it can run 8 of their 'waterfarm' sites - I just haven't found what the stones in those sites are, yet.

I have an ecoplus GL56728450 (793 GPH)
    I tried to run 4 x 4" discs - but it wasn't quite enough and had to supplement with another pump

I am prepping a new space to accomadate 10+ sites. So I need a new pump. I would love to get a pump to cover 10 sites (to keep what I have for supplementing/experimenting)

Leave a comment:

• farmerjim
    commented on 's reply
    FlyingDutchPaddy yes! I was thinking of something just like that for my scrog tent! I was looking for plexiglass or any other type of rigid material where I could cut the holes and use the thick-rimmed net pots. I also want to suspend it from light rope/ratchets so it can be easily lifted to check roots, clean reservoirs, etc. I love your marine plywood idea and am kicking myself for not thinking of that. I could even attach the scrog pvc to the plywood and the entire thing would lift with the ropes!

• FlyingDutchPaddy
    commented on 's reply
    hi Baphomatt, yes its 4 Gal per plant.
    system has 5 4 gallon buckets, one is the reservoir and 4 for the plants, all connected.
    airstone in each plant bucket, water pump in the main reservoir top feeding each plant.

farmerjim, after reading that your Lemon OG Haze fell though the top lid, I thought: why not make a sort of collar from something strong, treated marine plywood comes to mind, that can act as a support for the net, and also serve as a base platform you could put hooks into that you can tie down branches to for LST?

instead of a collar, why not even use marine plywood or something like it to cover the entire tote? use all the area for potential tie-down hooks!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X