Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farmerjim
    commented on 's reply
    do me a solid and edit your post to have this ul instead... we have a real domain now
    Welcome to famerjim's joint! I'll be posting how-to's for all of my diy growing projects. If you'd like to provide your own content, message me at info@diygrowdata.com

• farmerjim
    commented on 's reply
    oh snap! how'd I miss your plug for my website! thanks!! I'll get some pics and vids of the process and working unit up there as well

• farmerjim
    commented on 's reply
    I was wondering this too but think my current grow is disproving it...

I have an autoflower Lemon OG Haze that absolutely exploded. Its so big the net pot fell through the lid and the plant is basically just sitting in the bucket of water. I have absolutely no chance of picking that sucker up until its chopped so I can't really gauge the size of the roots. Given the size of the plant (it has taken over the 4x4x8 on its own and the lights are as high as they can get - certainly doesnt seem rootbound) I would expect the root ball to be much larger than the 2 "smaller" plants that I already harvested (1400g wet weight! lol). I would think the roots are pretty much maxed out in that lowes bucket but again wont be able to check without having the entire thing come down so it's a waiting game. Curious what others have to say on this..

FlyingDutchPaddy, the reason I went to the 10gal totes is that the currentcultures seem to be best-in-class and their containers look to be the 13gal... I have also heard that UC Roots is INSANE and will be purchasing that today for my Dark Harvest run. Also, the 1000gal pump doesnt seem to be giving me the undercurrent I was after. I have waterfalls though so not concerned. Going to try a stronger pump next time but concerned that the totes wont hold up if the pressure gets too high...

• Baphomatt
    commented on 's reply
    Do you mean 4 gallons per plant? If so, I would imagine that's plenty, you should have no issues. Plus much more than that would likely waste a lot of nutrients. Someone with more experience may have a different experience, but that's my take on it.

• FlyingDutchPaddy
    replied
    Hi All,

I was wondering, are plants grown in RDWC systems also subject to the same 'root bound' effect as with soil; small container = small plant -> root bound?

Reason for asking:
    I've got a 4 bucket system from Plant!t, and i've seen the kinds of buckets that farmerjim has in his setup (https://www.diygrowdata.com/farmerjims-joint).

I've got this idea in my head that with the totes FJ uses, plants's roots can grow all they want and not be as space contrained, or growth limited as with the system I use.
    (10 Gal / 35.5L per tote vs 4 Gal / 15L per bucket).

Is this idea wrong?
    What are your thoughts and experiences?
    What are your observations?

Thanks
    Last edited by FlyingDutchPaddy; 09-01-2018, 08:06 AM. Reason: change of FJ's URL

Leave a comment:

• IGH
    commented on 's reply
    oh yeah, i was there when u got the first one! im using them now too and no issues this grow!

• farmerjim
    commented on 's reply
    Lol, 12 total views so far for that link above with an avg time on page of 2:06 ;o)

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    IGH I can't remember if I already wrote this: I couldn't do hydro without my chillers. I didn't want to put a window ac unit in the grow room, and I wasn't willing to lower the thermostat to 68-69 degrees for the whole house.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, it's mighty bushy!! Will need good air circulation.

• FlyingDutchPaddy
    commented on 's reply
    nice going FJ! :-)

can see the embedded tabs without needing to sign in.

what's Ggl Analytics telling you on where traffic is coming from / page views ? ;-)

• IGH
    commented on 's reply
    im still not good at this (hydro) enough yet to count on success, and im helping others now too who cant grow or afford the dispensaries.
    havent lost a harvest yet, but roots have been an issue before, and i have no backup for the air pump when the power goes out.
    this will only be my 3rd run in hydro, and im sure it will be less risky with more experience, lol.

• IGH
    commented on 's reply
    oh wow thats hot! 4k watts of light is a LOT of flowers!

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    IGH Did I miss something? What was risky about DWC for you?

• DankwingDuck
    commented on 's reply
    Ty my brother . I’m a fast learner . And I had some great teachers.

• Obi-Wan
    commented on 's reply
    DankwingDuck Doing very well thank you... been busy with work and my grows, not much time for posting. I must say you’ve graduated from a padwan to a Jedi master in a short time!!! Nothing but respect ✊

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X