Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for volunteers for a leaf-cooking and consuming experiment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling for volunteers for a leaf-cooking and consuming experiment.

I want to conduct some more experiments with eating the leaves off of the plants, and I need people outside of myself, well I guess that goes without saying.

I'm referring to the fresh, vital leaves and pinched growth tips--not the old, spent or funky-looking leaves.

The first time I did this, I used clippings from 6 different strains (plus a little from 2 more strains). I froze the clippings in freezer bags, pulled out a bunch at a time, and GENTLY SIMMERED in water and coconut oil for around 8 minutes. I DID NOT BOIL THEM. Then I consumed them on an empty stomach. Warning: these are some intensely-flavored dark leafy greens.

As I wrote originally, I got high when I did this on the last grow. These leaves came primarily from around week 2-3 of flower forward--the three-week trim, and then the leaves blocking bud sites or layering with other leaves. But I only saved the tender, youthful leaves, and I did NOT include leaves with lots of triches on them. Those went into paper bags to dry.

These leaves are incredibly potent and contain psychoactive compounds. Are there any volunteers?
    Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 05:15 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Uh...well...I will! I like greens and like being high as fuck haha. I have girls in week seven to trim from.
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent!!!

I'd give it a whirl,sounds better than tea! Cooks like spinach till wilted?
    Last edited by Potted; 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Precisely. I cooked the leaves quite gently, and I don't know what I activated, but I sure did it.

Alltatup when I chopped my "mazar" that grew like a straight sativa, I put it straight into the freezer so later I could make hash. But lately I've been thinking about your experience lightly cooking some leaves. I figured that what I have is not the same material that you are talking about but maybe I use a little less. Someday I'll get the ardent machine so I can do more types of ingestion.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone's experience.
    Cheers
    "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

I would give it a try, but my only source of leaves is a couple of boxes of trim from last fall. Since those leaves have not been frozen as per your methodology I suppose I would be exempt from this clinical trial. Maybe next fall I will give it a try.

Comment

• starramus
        starramus commented
        Editing a comment
        You are much kinder than "Lady Liberty" was.

• starramus
        starramus commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't afford heel spurs.

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        yup starramus Lady Liberty will grab you and put you in some shit hole of a country then tell you it was needed for national security

So do the leaves have to be removed around week 2-3 of flower? And how many are you using?

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I have leaves from the final week of veg as well. They are the trim that's in good shape really from any time--I think especially once your plants start smelling aromatic. But I'd say as long as the leaves are young-ish and fresh, and any bud sites you want to pinch off, it will work.

I'd say a small serving of "spinach" for starters, see what happens and try more or less--depending on what happens.

Originally posted by RosettaStoned View Post
      Uh...well...I will! I like greens and like being high as fuck haha. I have girls in week seven to trim from.
      That. What she said.

My lights just went out an hour ago. I was going to wait until tonight, but Rosetta just changed my mind.

I'm doing this now, drawing the blinds and green-lighting it. I have a Jack Herer in almost week 3. How many leaves should one eat? How many is too many?
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        A moderate serving to start with--you know, like a small serving on your plate. I have no idea of how many leaves I threw in the pot, but it wasn't thirty or anything like that, and it was more than 10.

Morning Alltatup, You know I'm in. When do we start ???
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        In the morning on an empty stomach. I'm going to try my leaves tomorrow morning first thing.

My wife and I are in.
      Currently have plants in 3rd week of flower, so good supply.
      I am less impacted by edibles than anyone I know, so I am not a good test subject, but if it is psychoactive at all, my wife will be flying. She eats one gummy bear and is stoned for 24 hours.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never had luck with edibles either, homemade or dispensary

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Planning week 3 defoliation for Friday. Won't have the opportunity to experiment on selves until then anyways. So I think we'll plan to do this for breakfast next Saturday.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Campesino, do it on an empty stomach, and don't go huge with your serving just cuz you think you're immune to edibles; you may end up tripping all day!!!

Alltat— first off let me apologize for the length of this post and that is not about making tea. I read a post you put up a few months ago about using your fan leaves for tea so I started saving mine. I knew there had to be a use for them other than the compost. I had already saved the trim from King Tut harvest and I started saving the fans that I trim off while defoliating. The trim was in a paper bag in the freezer and the l just started tossing the fans on a shelf to dry. When I flipped the switch to 12/12 on my current grow Dec 27th I butchered them (trying something new) I trimmed off every fan leaf that had a stem that I could get my clippers on. They were some sad looking girls by the time I got done.
      Two weekends ago I finished drying the previously frozen trim and the pile of leaves in the oven at 170F - when they were nice and dry I crunched them up and decarbed them at 240F for another 40 minutes. I don’t have a scale so I don’t know the weight of the finished product but it was 2 cookie sheets with a pretty solid layer. After that I put them in the crockpot with a quart of water and 14oz coconut oil and let simmer for 18 hours. The wife wasn’t happy about that because it stunk the house to high heaven!! After cooking it down I strained it and put it in the fridge to separate and solidify. I took the layer of oil off the top and put it back in the jar. Last weekend I got a boxed brownie mix that called for 1/3 cup veg oil which I substituted with my coconut oil. Not knowing what to expect from the brownies we probably over indulged!! Holy sheep shit Batman we got f#<ked up!! But then it didn’t help that my son and I polished off half the pan waiting for it to kick in!! The strains are used were the King Tut trim And fan leaves from CBD Somango. CBD Durban and Blueberry. I will however try making some tea out of the last three Soon!!

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        facs, cool experiment!!! But I never wrote about tea: I wrote about eating dark leafy greens in the morning.

• facs_grow
        facs_grow commented
        Editing a comment
        I know Alltat, I reread your post after posting my book. And again I apologize for hijacking your thread. To make it up I plan on having some leafy greens tomorrow morning or maybe later on today and I will post my results. I was pretty sure I remember the thread you started a while back on the leafy greens but I thought you were making tea.

DingusK— well...... they are weeds after all!! LOL. I thought I could post a pic to this comment that I don’t see how I can. I will quickly post a picture as a Reply and then I will get back on topic

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        facs_grow You feel free to hijack my topic any time you feel like it.

My advice to everyone is to go moderate and to try on an empty stomach early in the day. There is something so special for me in the morning high, and it allows me to judge strength accurately cuz nothing else is interfering. I will post pictures in the morning.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Should I cut and freeze tonight or just cut fresh and cook tomorrow morning?
        "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
        5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
        600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
        Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
        400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
        ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
        13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          You can cook fresh!!!

I'm in! I'll give it a go on Tuesday!
        Last edited by Doubledealing72; 01-20-2018, 04:46 PM.
        Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess you don't have to work that day 👹

• Doubledealing72
          Doubledealing72 commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely not! 😂

Here are the plants 21 days after the butcher job— now back to the original topic sorry about that Alltat

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Just gorgeous!!!!!

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          They rebounded beautifully!

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          they always do rebound like that . Facs I will take all the fans like you did

I'm in, I have a lot of Candida and Jack Herer leaves almost every day. So, you mean to say about 10 leaves in the freezer for a night or so, into a small saucepan with maybe a cup of water and a 1/4 cup coconut oil and simmer for 8 minutes?

maybe that's too much oil?

then, you drink the liquid, water and oil? or do you separate the oil out somehow? How much do you drink?

Seems like a thing to do tomorrow.
        Last edited by Cronk; 01-20-2018, 05:48 PM.
        complete beginner
        39" x 39" x 78" tent
        315 Watt CMH
        4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
        Automatic top feed into coco.
        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          LORD, NO!!!!!!!
          1. you can clip em fresh in the morning; they don't need to be frozen. That's what I do as I trim to PRESERVE the leaves.
          2. 10 leaves/bud tips is good, just a little water, a pinch of oil, simmer them [we are still experimenting with times and temps.]
          3. Yes, I drink any leftover liquid. But I try to simmer down the water so there isn't much liquid left when they're cooked. So small amount of water that will mostly evaporate.
          Last edited by alltatup; 01-27-2018, 06:29 AM. Reason: update info

• Cronk
          Cronk commented
          Editing a comment
          This absolutely works. Also, I have watched a lot of videos of people making extracts and freezing is a part of the process on many of those vids. I don't know if it helps here but I did it anyway.

about 10 leaves in a small saucepan, maybe a 1/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil. It never really reached a simmer, no bubbling but the water was visibly evaporating away. I let this sit o the stove for about 20 minutes and was left with a little water, the oil and the leaves.

I squeezed the leaves and drank the liquid. Absolutely high from it although not High AF. Candida leaves with a couple Jack Herer leaves. This was first think this morning on an empty stomach. I don;t know if this tells me there's more thc in the Candida than I hoped for or if the Jack leaves were strong.

I repeat tomorrow morning

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          THANK GOODNESS that some of y'all are experiencing what I've experienced. I am delighted to hear it, Cronk!!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X