Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for volunteers for a leaf-cooking and consuming experiment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    DAAS, we all did this together!! Amazing: I'm so glad to hear the twins had a great day at school (institutionalized mind-numbing). The whole thing is, now we all know what to do with our leaves, for all the rest of our grows!!! This not only creates a bigger supply of medicine, but it's such a great addition to the tradition of smoking. With friends, gotta pass the pipe or the joint (or CB as I like to call it: Caucasian Blunt).

• D.A.A.S.69
    commented on 's reply
    Morning Alltatup, yeah, we were scared we might cook up all the good stuff, so as soon as the scrambled eggs were half-ass, done, we all gobbled them down, even the twins ate some, said they had the best day at school in a long time, lol.
    Gonna do it again this morning, then I gotta let my plants grow some more leaves, but it sure worked great for us.
    Thanks Alltatup! !!

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Madman960 I was going back over the article, and I found this interesting:

According to a report published by John M. McPartland and Ethan B. Russo "Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts: Greater Than the Sum of Their Parts?", the boiling points (same as vaporization) of the major cannabinoids, terpenoid, and flavonoids range from roughly 246° - 435°F (119° - 250°C).

Question: Is the boiling or vaporization point the same temp at which all the compounds get activated? Or are they activated before they reach the boiling point? The vaporization point is very good to know for vaping, but what about cooking and decarbing? I'm thinking the activation temp has to be slightly lower...???

On this page of ProjectCBD https://www.projectcbd.org/about/ask...boiling-points
    he says at the bottom:
    "CBD doesn’t have a clear set boiling point. 130°C is the boiling point for CBDA, but the boiling point is different than decarboxylation. There are a couple of issues. Decarboxylation happens at different temperatures at different speeds. You lose some of the plant’s compounds when you bake cannabis in the oven, for example. It can be done more slowly at 80°C, but takes several hours. Cannabinoids and other compounds in the plant will sublimate off at a lower temperature."

So I'm concluding that cooking at different temps for different amounts of time will give different results, which one has to play with the same as vaping temperatures. The leaves from one strain will have more of a certain kind of effect from the benefits of more terpenes if the temp's been kept on the lower end, and other effects will be enhanced if the temp's higher or they're cooked/decarbed longer.
    Last edited by alltatup; 01-26-2018, 04:52 AM. Reason: Additional research

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    D.A.A.S.69 I am so glad to hear that! I'm discovering that more cooking (or decarbing) produces stronger effects, so I've definitely switched from a light simmer to a 30-40 minute decarb in my Nova (depending on how much I put in there).

• Dutchman1
    replied
    Great Info here, Cant believe I just got directed to this thread and missed it on my own.Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• D.A.A.S.69
    commented on 's reply
    I could definitely tell it helped with my back pain, it don't even hurt today, which is unreal. We doing some more tomorrow, just to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it was those leaves that did it. Looking forward to tomorrows breakfast..

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Are you still waiting????

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, Madman!! I'm decarbing leaves right now, because there was a great difference between the simmered ones. So I'm pulling the Nova plug early, but they've had a good 30 minutes decarbing.

And I didn't mean the article was worthless; I just noted that it was dated as far as terpenes are concerned. The rest of the info I copied and pasted into a chart.
    Last edited by alltatup; 02-04-2018, 06:07 AM.

• D.A.A.S.69
    replied
    Morning Alltatup, we put about a half oz of leaves that were in bacon grease an mixed em up like onions an eggs an made scrambled eggs an bacon grease leaves, and it sure tastes good, we still waiting on the buzz, but I feel pretty damn good right now. hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Madman960
    replied
    Yesterday, I decarbed some more trim and simmered it in some coconut oil and water. After an hour I had no effects. About 1.5 hours after eating, holy crap!! Very noticeable difference from just eating the wilted leaves. Lasted for hours. The wilted leaves tasted better. I used 240F for 30 minutes. I chose 30 minutes as the chart showed that THC in trim starts to degrade after 30 minutes. Granted the chart is from 1990, but I doubt that makes it less accurate. It's amazing to know they knew this 28 years ago. Wonder what else they know but have not shared???

Leave a comment:

• Madman960
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like 1990. The 1st chart is dated in the top right corner.

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    redbeard I'm so glad to hear it worked for you!!!

• oldjarhead100
    commented on 's reply
    well worth the cost

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    MadMan, an interesting read, but I wonder how old it is. In many ways it provides really good information, but it seems a little behind the times as far as techniques for preserving terpenes--for ex., the Ardent Nova decarb machine doesn't evaporate terpenes.

But I totally agree with you about experimenting to find the way to turn THC into CBN--or just get you some Night Queen, or Afghan Kush, or Black Domina, Dream Machine, etc. etc. There are indicas that, when harvested at the right time, are downright narcotic, which is a GOOD THING!!!

• Madman960
    commented on 's reply
    An interesting experiment would be to decarb around 320F for 30 to 45 minutes and see how much of the THC turns into CBN. CBN being desired as a sleep aid.

I noticed in the above article that the THC and other compounds are greater at 30 minutes and are dropping at 60 minutes.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X