Bugs and root rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugs and root rot

So this plant is almost 3months old I had it under a 24w light 24hr and I fed it just purified water from 5gallons, I go fill at one those water refills, not ph' d for the first 2 months. The soil I use is Kellogg raised bed and potting soil. I watered about every few days.

Then a month ago i upgrade to a to a 5gal pot 300w led and the fox farm trio and balance it i got root rot on the 3rd and did emergency transplant got rid of the bad stuff. Then read about hydrogen peroxide did that Saturday night just around the roots and I foliar fed it friday cause it was nutrient deficient already.

As of the 6th I had to cut all the fan leaves they had completely died; yellod and crunchy in spots to prevent spread i cut them and I got the bush doctor micro brew in Amazon. And today is the 7th and I did the microbe brew with the tiger bloom and big bloom and dumped a whole gallon in the soil and let it run off And put it under the light, draining a few hours later again. It still has new growth and doesn't look too bad now but any tips or pointers or help would be great I'm only going to feed it once a week with a gallon following fox farm soil feeding schedule and do a microbe brew flush every 3weeks so no more over watering for this guy learned my lesson.
    And I'm still unsure of the sex.....

Oh and I had small thrips infection I got rid of though

Comment

Welcome deadhead91, how far are keeping your led from the top of your plant? How did you find out it was root rot?
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I'd say about a ft to 1.5ft for the light and and it started dieing all of a sudden and the was a foul smell from the drip tray and sure enough I pulled it out and the holes got clogged so I knifed in some bigger holes and more of them

Comment

So I've been reading up. So here is an update.

Led was too close. It got wind burn (didn't know that was a thing) and also i had take off a few more of the bottom leaves just super tiny ones. New growth looks good fyi I fimmed it not topped. So I'm kinda lost at this point I fixed all above problems to prevent continued damage; so here is my question do I cut off the top 2 damaged leaves to let more light to lower leaves and to save energy for the plant trying to repair itself?

Comment

Also should i go ahead and get cal-mag? I've been readying that fox farm is short on those. So that could also be a problem I'm having I think... And going to get some mylar tomorrow to wrap around it to make a mini room lol.

Comment

Hi deadhead91, sorry for the late response, I got lost along the way. I was going to suggest 30 inches on your light and ask about a fan, I'm think that was your leaf drooping and leaf taco.
              Calmag is a great idea and you are right about a fox farm not having it. If you are having calmag/iron and yes it can also effect your other nutes to. with calmag in your Plant it will MOST likely be a light coloring on the upper part of the plant, it MOST likely will be on leafs exposed to the Direct light and will also most likely be followed by brown spots in the center of the leaf. Calcium and magnesium need each other to absorb and is best done at 6.3 pH in coco. This is a small example in my experience of a Cal Mag problem.
              on a side note, I was a deadhead in 91-92good luck and happy growing

Comment

Also if your Doopy leafs doesn't stop double check your not over-watering

Comment

I water 1x a week a gallon flush and I poked a lot more holes in the bottom to help drain more and i let it drie all the way till i water next all the new growth looks ok and its strarting to yellow leaves with some green still so it could be the cal mag

Comment

Also I went on tour when i was i was 1yr old from 92 to 93 my parents were true deadheads well i am too lol just wish i could remember my parents said i would always fall asleep to jerry's solos and sat in the jerry section for me my dad would wander to the spinner section they told me many stories hahaha

Comment

• Mr.furley
                      Mr.furley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well if your parents and yourself where in Vegas in 92 with the dead and Steve Miller we have that in common.
                      Last edited by Mr.furley; 11-09-2017, 07:48 PM.

So I would like to ask you a couple more questions.
                    1) what size pot?
                    2) how much are you feeding to a gal of water,
                    grow big?
                    big bloom?
                    tiger bloom?

Comment

5gallon pot and I'm just doing the 3tsp (15ml) big bloom and 2tsp (ml) tiger bloom and 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide 3% with a balance ph yellow with a green tint, it wants to start flowering should I use the grow big? I'm trying to follow the fox farm soil schedule but I started using fox farm about a month ago and before that I did a 2-0-0 gallon took about a month to use and regular purified water not phd before that but i ran out for a month. When I did the emergency foliar feed used some of the grow big in it the foliar feed actually saved it the next day it had way more color and not so droopy you see the pics

Comment

Cut it since it started to shrivel more might remove the other one if it gelps growth

Comment

Ok deadhead91 this is a clear picture of you plant, so one more question and some advice.

first the question, what's up with you given hydrogen peroxide? do you do this on a regular basis? I know that it can help with some problems but never heard of a h2o2 regimen of this caliber, it really seems like a high dose.

so here is what I am think.

1)Out of all honesty for 3 months your plant is a little small but these things do happen and I understand cuz I've had extended time in veg do to problems before and just because we've had a problem doesn't mean you won't have a good yield at the end of harvest but you need to get a handle on your plant before you try to flower it. only flower your plant when it's fully healthy.

2) I think you have a nitrogen deficiency, not saying that calmag isn't a problem, but there is bigger fish to fry and here is why, because you're soil is depleted after 3 months. so you do need to be adding nutrition. But from the yellowing I think you need to move to a more aggressive schedule with your nutrients and watering here's what I'd suggest you do.
                          5ml grow big
                          15 ml big bloom
                          3-5 ml calmag.
                          to each 1 gallon of water at 6.0 to 6.3 Ph. You will need to start watering your plant like it's in a soilless medium which means you may need up to two gallons per watering.

Next time give ph'ed water, and nutrients till you have 10% runoff, check your runoff PH, it is the # you should go by.
                          needs to be at 6.

when your pot is dry to you first knuckle "1inch" and lite when you pick it up its time for you next round does not matter how many days.

Next wateting give Ph water only to 10% runoff and nothing else.

repeat this schedule till you plant has started to grow healthy should only take 2-3 weeks, don't remove any leafs for a couple of waterings unless they just pull off easily or fall off, let your plant recover.
                          looks like your plant is a little better and hopefully is on the right track to being healthy with the light and fan problem, but I think you have a nutrient imbalance that needs to be addressed starting with nitrogen and also looking at calmag. There is by no means a reason to give up on this plant but to change what you may be doing.
                          Hope this helps.
                          Mr.F
                          Last edited by Mr.furley; 11-09-2017, 11:43 PM.

Comment

So the soil should never be completely dry to the knuckle but the bottom of the pot holds a lot of water would flushigng it every week with the nutrients continoisly, stop root rot or overwatering?
                            Or should I look to get a different pot? I'm using Kellogg raised bed and potting soil.
                            And I've only done the peroxide twice todays feed and right after the root rot but it wasn't a full gal mix just enough to wet the soil from transplant but a few days later I did a bush doctor microbe brew I think I did 6ml of brew with the nutes i mentioned which was the first real feed after root rot but cause of the root rot and to keep it sterilized I wanted to do the hydrogen peroxide but I've read on a few forums that it doesn't hurt the plant and oxygenates the soil.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X