No announcement yet.

Decarboxylator machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its great. Maybe I'll decarb some bud today! Or get really ambitious and make some dry ice hash first! I did find that when using the decarb that I seemed to get more effect when I ate some animal or veggie fat along with it_ don't have to infuse it in oil or butter_ just eat something with fat in it at the same time. Especially when using the decarbed hash/keif. I think the fat just helps with absorption, maybe.
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      ZigZag I had to go do some more reading on this: the reason oil/fat or alcohol are necessary with edibles is because they both infuse (like Kool Aid in water) and break down all the cannabinoid molecules, which makes for efficient absorption and digestion.

So I wonder if the cannabinoids etc. are first infused in oil/alcohol and then used for cooking if it's going to work more efficiently? Cause part of the work is already done--it's been extracted.

On the other hand, if you decarb bud and use the whole bud to cook with, you get all the medicine. But your digestive system--starting with chewing--will have to do more work to get that extraction/break down going. Whenever I eat the leaves, I always chew the crap out of them.

;-}
      Last edited by alltatup; 02-11-2018, 04:02 AM.

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      I have some coconut oil I got for this reason, but just haven't messed with it. Sounds like a near future experiment. Thanks for the tip.
      Sounds like the stuff we want needs to in solution (dissolved) and just just a suspension (like it appears glycerin makes).

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Jason I have read that glycerine doesn't infuse as well as high proof alcohol or oils: https://wakeandbake.co/tinctures/

I learned a lot from carefully reading this woman's instructions. She says you get a weaker tincture with glycerine or lower-proof alcohol like Bacardi 151.

Alltatup_I haven't experimented enough yet to really have any idea what's affecting what as far as potency is concerned. But using the decarbed dry ice hash infused directly into an oil or just cooked in an edible with some fat in it is better one way or the other than using bud. I've found out that its about twice as effective. I tried using one of those potency calculators but I don't think the results were all that accurate. Too many variables. Especially if I've made the dry ice hash with more than one strain. Also buds from one plant of the same strain can be more or less potent. Since I can get ever clear here then I've stuck with that for the most part as it does seem to be much more effective_ especially for tinctures .Never tried the glycerin.
    Jason_You should try the coconut oil. I've got the best results using decarbed dry ice hash and infusing it in a crock pot for about 6-8 hrs.
    Also_ one thing I'm going to do from now on when using bud or dry ice hash is to strain it through one of the bubble hash screens _ the 160 micron size. This works awesome_ much better than cheesecloth or a metal strainer. Doesn't let anything through so the oil is very clean with no vegetable matter. Even with the dry ice hash which was run through a 25-70 micron screen when I made it, comes out clean. The dry ice hash also has much less MJ taste too.
    Works great with oil or alcohol.
    Just discovered this when I finished a batch of oil and found out I didn't have any cheesecloth! So decided what the heck_ I have this screen/filter I never use so why not?
    easy clean up too_ just turned the bag inside out and ran it under hot water then put in the washing machine. Its reusable too!
    Oh yeah_ I also cut off most of the nylon part of the bag so it easily fit over the top of a bowl without a bunch of excess making it easier to work with, much easier to clean too.
    Cheers to all and thanks for the info!
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the concentrates are great--sometimes I can't believe that I am now making what I used to pay so much for. And it's so much better.

Thanks for that post ZigZag! You are moving us, or at least me, down the field. The hash thing is something I have not done, but with this last harvest of Blue Glue, its looking more interesting. The tri's coming off this stuff is like a sand storm.
    I would hesitate to put Lift decarb'd hash into a hot bath for hours and hours. Low temp melt, OK, but anything approaching decarb temps and I think there's something to be lost there. After the Lift, I would be careful about more heat.
    I think I'll look at some screens. Lift decarbo some flower, screen and let the results soak in coconut oil. No race. When the yellow sand dissolves, time to eat.

alltatup, you're right about glycerin. I think its getting positive posts and ink from people that can't tell when the high octane effects they should get, aren't there. Maybe they're "sensitive" like my wife, and are happy with some fraction of effect. I want strong effects, then alter or lower the dose.

This thread is working out well. Good info and people are sharing and benefiting. That's as good as it gets.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Like you say, very interesting journey for each person to find what works best for him/her.

Don't let those triches get away!

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like that Blue Glue will make some really nice edibles_ and probably some really nice rosin if you try that. I've found that Indica dominate strains make the best rosin. I just tried some tincture I made from some decarbed rosin. Whoa! that stuff is strong. Word of warning start with very small amount. The tincture I usually make requires about a dropper full for an effective dose, but with the rosin only about a 1/4 of a proper was required! I haven't noticed any reduction in potency for the 6-8 hrs in the cooker but I run it at 160 degrees since the hash has already been decarbed you don't need the heat for that, just helps infuse the terpenes but doesn't seem to "cook" them.

I just figured out how to get back to this post_OK _ here's where I got the potency calculator_ also have some good recipes too.
    This calculator might work better for those who have less variables than me_ I often use more than one different strain when making dry ice hash since I use the popcorn buds and trim from the same harvest, and i usually have at least two strains to work with.Kinda lazy but it works for me cuz I can make a bunch of it in one sitting instead of multiple ones.
    here goes-
    www. cannabischeri.com

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I mixed sugar leaves n larfy buds from 8 strains, decarbed it all in my Nova and made tincture, which was strong. Then I evaporated the everclear and made oil, which I store in the freezer. I call it my 8 ball. A rice grain of that under the tongue is very strong. I feel like a mad scientist in my laboratory. 👩🏾‍🔬👩🏾‍🔬👩🏼‍🔬👩🏿‍🔬👩🏻‍🔬
      Last edited by alltatup; 02-11-2018, 04:24 PM.

alltatup_ no kidding! I think I might try that....did you heat the tincture to reduce the ever clear? The oil sounds good too! especially for times when you want to be "discrete" :~)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	174428Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	174429Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	174430

ZigZag No, I didn't use any more heat. Which is why I got the Nova: to use as little heat as possible, to preserve as much integrity of the cannabinoids and terpenes, etc. as possible. I put the tincture in a pan, covered with some gauzey material to keep out the dust, and blew the fan across it. The weather was cold, so I stuck it in the spare bathroom and opened the window to release the fumes.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        ZigZag I do keep the oil in the freezer and take my rice grain sized swab for under the tongue with a toothpick. It's too sloppy and gooey at room temp. I figure it's better for the oil to be in the freezer, too.

• ZigZag
        ZigZag commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I think so too_ keeping it in the freezer. Much easier to get a small piece of it when it's hard and that should preserve everything well too. Like the toothpick method too!

• Dutchman1
        Dutchman1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Too hard to dose at that size. There are better alternatives.

So here is an idea.

It seems current practice is to decarb, screen to hash then infuse hash with oil using low heat.
      What if......screen first, mix resulting hash with oil of choice, put in appropriate container THEN decarb in the Lift.
      Why? It would eliminate the second heat/infusion cycle. Infusion would happen at the same time decarb happens.

Thoughts?

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Jason I think I misread your post originally. Here's my take on what you suggest: I would just decarb the hash and then infuse into the oil. I am a little wary of oils because they go rancid, which is why I prefer pga infusion. At the very least, if you just decarbed the hash, you wouldn't have to heat the oil, and the hash WILL infuse in oil without heat... won't it? My understanding is that oil and alcohol infuse the cannabinoids etc. without heat.
        Last edited by alltatup; 03-03-2018, 04:38 AM. Reason: I misread original post

• ZigZag
        ZigZag commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah you don't need to heat 2x and I'm not sure the Lift would decarb something once its in oil....it doesn't get very hot. Could be though....never know till you try it.
        But you can decarb your hash, mix it directly into an oil or butter or anything with animal or vegetable fat and then just cook with that or eat it. if you just use the first/ finest screen to make the dry ice hash then it hardly tastes at all and is so fine it mixes right in with just about anything. it even works well to put the decarbed hash into veg caps (2X size) and then just swallow_ no taste at all. then just eat something with fat in it.

been thinking about a heated lab beaker stirrer to evaporate alcohol. saw a guy do it on youtube. Seemed pretty efficient and perhaps a bit faster than plain evaporation.
      complete beginner
      39" x 39" x 78" tent
      315 Watt CMH
      4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
      Automatic top feed into coco.
      Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Jason
        Jason commented
        Editing a comment
        Part of a day does all I mix at one time. My silicone dish is about 10" square. I put 4-8 oz of EverClear in it and set up the light. I never leave it on at night, unattended.
        I do a lot of passive, time consuming chemical things in my studio, so this is just another one of those things.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Jason you know that light is really bad for the good stuff, don't you...

Light and heat: the enemies of what we love.

• Jason
        Jason commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup EGAD! I did not know light was harmful. Oh, well. Looks like passive or fan.
        thanks for that.

I think its the uv in the light that breaks down the THC but not real sure if artificial light can do that too? I know sunlight will for sure. But I keep all my jars in a cool, dark, dry place....and the freezer once they're 6 months cured.I'm getting me a couple of those silicon trays for sure_ thanks for the tips!
      Anyone ever heard of freeze drying bud?

Comment

ATU did you get an invitation to the webinar thing with the ardent lady here is the info

new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I was not invited.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          did you try the link above

Has anyone found anything other than the nova or lift? I am looking for a more sturdy option to advents unit as they are not returning my inquiries about warranty.... more than a bit disappointed with the life span!!!!!

Comment

• TheGreenGiggler
          TheGreenGiggler commented
          Editing a comment
          Than’s all and sorry for the late return! Been travelling, and man am I road weary!! @ dingus and aloner - yes my unit died.... not before it burnt a batch though! Wasn’t to happy, I had a few issues with the seal to start. The device works well enough, but it didn’t last.... have not heard from them about it. I will probably call them tomorrow as a last effort.

As a side though I might switch to sous vide as a decarb method. Controlled, no smell and there isn’t a size restriction! That’s kinda nice!!

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Shit, sorry to hear. If you don't get any satisfaction from them, I think it would justify opening it and to see how hackable it might be. At least, it is still a useful vessel that keeps your cannabinoid losses to a minimum. That sous vide method sounds cool. You could do that like in an instant pot or other programmable cooker.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          TheGreenGiggler How long had you had the Nova? I'm really surprised and now kinda worried that it broke...

I have one too and its been working really well so far, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I got a good one!

Comment

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you going to open it? See if it's fixable or hackable? If nothing else, it's still a good sealed heating vessel for 1/2z if you can klooj a heating element.

• Jason
          Jason commented
          Editing a comment
          If you open it, the warranty is voided. They are very clear about that in the warranty statement.

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely. Only do this if you are certain that the company will not do anything for you and you're permanently stuck with a dead machine, without warranty protection.

GreenGiggler, I think you owe us a clearer explanation of what happened with your machine. How old was it? Did you do something to it like drop it or get it wet?

It's either covered by warranty or it isn't. I don't believe that if your machine was under warranty, that Ardent wouldn't answer you and replace your machine unless you did something you shouldn't have.

This is a reputable company, and they aren't just going to ignore someone's claims if they are protected by the warranty. I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about the company or the machine itself.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• TheGreenGiggler
          TheGreenGiggler commented
          Editing a comment
          That said, it was handy. And when it worked it was great. Given the durability concern for me though, and no connection after my attempts, I think I will try the sous vide thing instead... just doesn’t seem like it’s worth loosing sleep over when there are other fun things to try

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like Ardent IS ignoring legitimate warranty claims eh alltatup?

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          TheGreenGiggler Thank you very much for all the clarification. What really surprises me now is that they haven't responded to you. I would call again if I were in your shoes; I've gotten help fast when I called, and I've had my emails ignored as well. I really hope you get your deserved replacement!!

i ordered mine and it took a month to get i called asking what was up
        it was lost in the mail
        they resent another one immediately got it in 3 days
        then the other one showed up a week and a half later
        they said to just keep it as i was in Canada and it was a hassle to ship

so yay me LOL
        4'x 6' x 8' room
        2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
        sunshine mix #4
        mega crop nutes
        current grow
        cd-1
        jack herer
        afghan kush
        green doctor

Comment

• Dutchman1
          Dutchman1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Win !!!!!!!

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          yup love it when that happens

New coupon code: ARDENT420 for 20% off.

Email says it's good "for 48 hours only".
        My first grow

Comment

• Jason
          Jason commented
          Editing a comment
          My code paid for the freight. No real discount on the product.
          Love my Lift. Load, click on, wait. Unload and enjoy.

• ZigZag
          ZigZag commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too, best thing is you can walk away and not worry about overheating or even burning your bud. Just turns itself off when its done. The only downside is you can only get about 1/2 ounce of bud in the container. But it doesn't take long so as long as you plan a few hours ahead you can get about all you need for making a batch of edibles or tincture. Its suppose to work on bud that has just been harvested_ don't need to dry and cure...anyone tried that yet?

• Insight
          Insight commented
          Editing a comment
          @zigzag...Works great on just harvested bud....

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X