First time grow -- Northern Light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time grow -- Northern Light

Hey all! I’m prepping for my first grow. I’ve decided on 5 plants, to be grown outdoors in Kind Soil/Roots Organic in 5 gal. smart pots. I’m planning to germinate in about a week, so the weather should be warm enough by the time they’re ready to go outside. I have 6 fem Northern Light seeds from Nirvana; they also threw in some “mystery seeds”. The thing I can’t decide on is: do I germinate all 6 NL and give away the extra plant if they all sprout, or just germ 5 and hope for the best? Or do I roll the dice and try some of the mystery seeds and save some of the NL for a future grow?

The relatively small size of NL seems particularly well-suited to my needs, so I’m probably going to just go all-NL, but I’m interested in hearing outside opinions. Whatever I end up doing, I’m planning on keeping a grow journal so look forward to that.

My grow space is a private area on top of a fairly small residential building, The space is not 100% blocked from view (though you would have to be on the roof and get up-close and nosy to see anything) and I realize that’s a little risky. But growing is legal in my state so I don’t need to worry about narcs, and most of the people in my building are reasonably cool (plus no dang teenagers!).

It can get pretty windy up there but I’ve installed windbreaks to help with that (and the privacy thing). The only other issue I foresee is squirrels, which in previous years have decimated parts of my SO’s little vegetable garden up there (those fuckers love tomatoes, apparently) but I hope that with a few precautions they won’t cause any major problems.

I’ve been reading and re-reading various tutorials and articles on this site over the last 4 months or so and the ONLY reason I feel even remotely ready to give growing a shot is due to Nebula and Sirius. 98% of what I know about growing, I learned here. Mad props guys! And I’m holding you all responsible if it doesn’t go according to plan (I kid!).
    My first grow
    Nirvana ♀ Northern Light photo
    Outdoors
    Kind Soil/Roots Organic Original
    5 gal. Smart Pots

Welcome to the forum, Aloner! Sounds like you have things well-planned! I think many of us never would have started growing without this forum; I certainly wouldn't have!
    DWC/Hydroponic grow box 26" x 36",
    400 watt MH/HPS lights
    ActiveAqua chiller 1/10 hp
    Current grow:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...blk-dom-ww-c99

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      My problem is that I tend to do lots of advance research, then when things don't work out exactly as expected, I get discouraged. I'm hoping to mitigate that with support from folks here with more experience than me. Fingers crossed!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      @Aloner

From my experience, a weed grow NEVER goes exactly as expected; shit happens, but that's how we learn to overcome them and save the grow. I had a really bad case of algae on my previous grow, and I was about to throw in the towel, but everyone on the forum kept saying, Don't give up!! And I had a great harvest in the end--not as big as I would have liked, but very loud weed!!!

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I know. And that's exactly the kind of support I'm hoping for if things go badly wrong. Also, reading about the problems other folks have had and seeing how they fixed them will very likely come in handy as well!

hey aloner welcome I tell people the stuff that works for me , there are ten ways to do one thing but all of them are good ways . Indoors I grow 4 plants at a time but I always start 6 then I can pick the 4 best,then I clone the two that are left and share the wealth
    argo max tent ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . current grow gorilla glue 14th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent plan!

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice; very generous!

• Tika
      Tika commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree w/ u Jarhead. I always do more just in case..but have no one handy to gift to. Have 2 Jock horror - very viable plants and they have to go to Jesus...Buddha..whatever
      Sorry I am late in this...trying to catch-up.

Sounds like a great plan Aloner! Given your setup, I would germinate all 6, then if possibly every one looks good, find another container for the extra, or give it to an appreciative friend. I have had great results with the Kind soil and 5 gallon smartpots for my indoor auto grows. Best of luck...I will definitely look for your journal to follow! 🐸 And yes, GWE is a super way to get info on growing! 👍
    Current grows...http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ime-collection
    Recent grows...
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-og-haze-auto
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ss-cheese-auto
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...-2-we-love-you

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Space-wise I think 5 plants is my limit but yeah, I think doing all 6 NL seeds and then giving one away (assuming all look good) is how I'm gonna go. Thanks for the feedback!

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      You could always johnnyappleseed it somewhere. I mean just as another option. Anyway sounds like you've got a good plan. Best of luck

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      lol Jeg, very true! Maybe I'll do that with some of the mystery seeds...

Hell, apparently I'm already subscribed

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol it's hard to keep track of all the subs!

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I'll figure it out once you start posting more here. Best of luck to you and don't do anything that I'm doing currently. I'm not sure how I got the plant I do now it shouldn't have happened

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Karma? Good luck? Or maybe the weed gods are smiling on you.

So last night I removed the NL seeds from the fridge--where they've been chilling the last few months or so--to give them a chance to warm up for a couple days before germinating. Somehow, in my mind, I had increased the number of seeds I bought from five to six. Huh. I guess if any don't sprout I'll try out some of the mystery seeds--you only live once, right?

I also tested my water's pH level and to my chagrin it was super high--like, 9.3! One order of Earth Juice crystals later and I'm back on schedule. (Thank you free 2-day shipping!) This grow keeps getting more and more complicated!
    My first grow
    Outdoors
    5 gal. Smart Pots

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! More likely you are gaining valuable knowledge!!! It's a slippery slope! 😆

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      You got this

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      So true PVC! As long as these things come at me slowly (and preferably one at a time) so I can adjust!

I wish you good luck man. I'm also new to growing and grow NL aswell! it Would be pretty awesome to see the results

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Yours look pretty strong out of the gate--I hope mine do as well! Will be interesting to compare your indoor grow to my outdoor, too.

Be careful with the Nirvana mystery seeds, they could literally be anything. Feminized, regular (50/50 chance of M/F), photoperiod, autoflower, small indica plants or a giant sativa!
    Completed auto grows 2
    Known strains grown:
    Afghan Kush Ryder

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Sugar Cane version).

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Current grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe me, if I end up planting any of them I'll be checking constantly to make sure no males sneak into my grow space.

Planted seeds last night after soaking them all day (Jiffy pellets in the "greenhouse" they came with, sitting on a heating pad.). Bitterly disappointed that none have sprouted the next morning. (I kid.)
    My first grow
    Outdoors
    5 gal. Smart Pots

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      "A watched seed never germinates"... I did much better on this current grow (#3) at leaving the seeds the fk alone except for checking moisture of root riots.

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't do much better. Maybe next time

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      After the first day, I've been only allowing myself one peek in the morning and one at night. Every time I walk past it's difficult not to stop and lift the lid!

This morning one of the seeds had popped. Got home from work and three more were out. Only one to go!
    My first grow
    Outdoors
    5 gal. Smart Pots

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, right? I can't help but think, "...almost TOO easy."

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you started with a good plan and that helps. If you get a second go check out my throwback pictures.

• Jeg
      Jeg commented
      Editing a comment
      You started here on this site. Great decision. I didn't find GWE til 6 weeks into flower

Subbed in, congrats on the sprouts!!!! I too watched mine like crazy waiting and now I'm about two weeks into flower and I still want to look in on them 20 times a day 😄
    FusionHut 5x5x6.5, Mars II LED 900W (veg/bloom modes), 4" Fusion Breath inline fan w/ carbon filter
    Coco/Perlite 70/30 "ish" in 5 gall fabric pots, GH Trio+CaliMagic+GrowTec PH Up/Down, PH test drops
    2x6" clip on fans, 1x8" desk fan, 1x12" oscillating fan

Comment

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I expect I will be the same way lol!

I finally got here, subbed in, welcome, and " carry on" ...it will be fun to participate in your grow
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Comment

I'm here to watch and wishing you huge success!

Comment

The straggler started peeking out last night and was all the way out this morning. Tonight everyone's standing straight up (that's the runt on the top right).
        My first grow
        Outdoors
        5 gal. Smart Pots

Comment

• MommaBear
          MommaBear commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the lil babies!!!! You're off to the races now!!! 😁👍🏼

They look good. You're off to a good start

Comment

• Aloner
          Aloner commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, absolutely. I haven't posted many photos since there's not much going on yet.

• Jeg
          Jeg commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel ya. You know we are growing the same thing at the same time right?

• Aloner
          Aloner commented
          Editing a comment
          Did not realize! It will be fun to compare along the way.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X