Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GWE Forum was down! What Happened?!

Welcome back, growers!

As many of you may already know, the GrowWeedEasy.com forum was down for 3 weeks! It happened out of nowhere and none of our users were given any warning...so what happened?

The Short Answer:
    Poorly designed forum software + not-so-savvy forum owners + LOTS of pictures = overloaded (dead) forum. We worked with multiple programmers every single day until we got this ol' beast running again and boy was the process painful!

The Long Answer:
    Nebula and I aren't programmers. In fact, we can barely keep an old-fashioned site from not exploding into internet flames. So, when the time came for us to open a forum, we went with one of the most popular and widely-used forum software packages available (which I won't name here). This forum software has a very large user base and we figured it could handle the amount of traffic we could throw at it so we purchased some server space and installed the software (last year) without much hassle. There were a ton of bugs (especially relating to picture uploads), but at least the forum worked for the most part. Little did we know a storm was brewing...

The forum software we picked has a weird quirk that we didn't anticipate: by default, all uploaded pictures are saved as rows in the forums database, not in the file system! While that might not be a problem for forums that are mostly text based, our forum is ALL ABOUT pictures, and boy did that create a problem! While we were all uploading pics and conversing, the database was rapidly growing to out of control due to a large number of pictures being uploaded. Since we used the default settings for the forum, we thought everything was fine and had no idea anything was wrong until...

Fast-forward to the morning of 9/11 at and we get an email from our website host informing us that they are terminating our service due to a too-large database. We lost access to everything, and they said they would delete ALL of our info in 7 days regardless of what we did. At the time, our hosting account had a database size limit of 1GB. When they turned off the forum, the database was 78GB! Our host wasn't helping solve the problem and wouldn't let us access the database, so we were left with the task of finding a professional since losing all that forum data wasn't an option.

-----

Long story short, it took a lot of heartache and stressful, stressful days/nights, but the forum looks to be working again and we're happy to have it back. We're going to keep in contact with the pros to make sure this doesn't happen again and we're already on a more powerful server in addition to being HTTPS now (GWE is soon to follow). We still consider the forum to be in 'testing mode' since we can't anticipate all the problems that would arise from fixing such a massive database, but the forum is on a path for a more stable future now that we have help and we consider this incident to be our first and last forum disaster. *Runs to knock on wood*

I know it was stressful and disheartening for those of you who frequent this forum, and I'm sure that it was also infuriating for new growers who no longer had a welcoming place to discuss cultivating cannabis. Just know that from the moment we found out the forum was down, there was no other option in our minds besides "Fix it!". I hope this issue hasn't killed your faith in our ability to give you a reliable community. If anything, know that we'll try harder than anyone else because it's something we truly believe in.

Thanks everyone and happy growing!

~Sirius & Nebula

Thanks for not just throwing in the towel on this -- I know the forum can't be a moneymaker for you guys. I mean, the entire site has that whole awesome labor-of-love feel. So glad you stuck with it and got it back online! Out of curiosity, who was hosting it before? I want to make sure to use anyone but them for my future webhosting needs.
    My first grow

Comment

• SiriusFourside
      SiriusFourside commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously, don't host with GoDaddy. I talked my way up to a supervisor so I could download a copy of our database, and after enough begging (seriously!), he gave me 4 minutes to download a 78GB database. Four. Minutes.

• Aloner
      Aloner commented
      Editing a comment
      "We don't care, we don't have to." You gotta love it when companies get so big they don't give a shit.

• WeirdWiredWolf
      WeirdWiredWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      I had two small websites with Godaddy once; never again. Luckily I had almost everything saved locally when they decided one of the sites had gone over some arbitrary limit... Glad everything's back up and thank you for all the hard work (if I'd known what was going on and been able to help remotely I would have).

Well I glad your back

Comment

Thank you for your continuing work and all of the effort that is put into GWE.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I can stop jonesing now!

Thank you for the time, effort and money, it means a lot
        The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
        Water Curing Experiment
        My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

So, so, SO glad to have you guys back! As GanjaGed pointed out, the withdrawals have been unbearable.

And I've had no one to share my growing screw-ups with!

Comment

Woo! It's good to b back

Comment

Great you did it! Glad to see it back up
              Bubbleponics
              Advanced platinum 450w
              Foxfarms big bloom , tiger bloom , grow big
              hydroguard

​​​​​​​

Comment

So glad the forum is back -
                ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                Mars Hydro
                Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Woo Hoo back up and ready lmao so bored during the hurricane so glad this is back up so i can update my stuff and see how my girl looked befor the server went down thanks for bringing this back up this is the only forum i use so been a boring few weeks but all better now
                  DWC/hydroton clay pellets600w digital/dimmable ballast,
                  250w MH veg,400w HPS flowering,floratrio nute schedule ,48*32*60 grow tent,
                  current grow: feminized blue wizard
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...c-grow-journal

Comment

Damn glad to see you back up and running!!!
                    Team AutoMechanics

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of what had happened and for keeping us members up-to-date during the fix SiriusFourside & NebulaHaze. Would've been a shame to lose all this wonderful growing info shared by members as well as the pics. Glad to see you have it back up and running.
                      Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
                      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• SiriusFourside
                        SiriusFourside commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree, losing the info was our biggest concern. People worked really hard on these posts!

SiriusFourside Thanks so much for the explanation, which in itself is a labor of love. I missed everyone a lot, so I talked to my plants every day.
                      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

what a surprise that was , thank you for working so hard to bring it back to life .now that its up and running kick back and relax for a couple of days.
                        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Awesome , glad y'all are back !! GWE, is no doubt the best site on the internet about growing weed, really missed y'all but I knew you would be back all along. Thanks for all y'all do. DAAS69
                          Cfls for a week or two
                          315lec for everything else
                          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                          36x36x63 inch tent.
                          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                          Smart pots
                          Molasses
                          Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X