SoCal Weather '24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoCal Weather '24

OK, here I am with planting time right around the corner What to do? Last year the weather was terrible for my semi-outdoor grow - out during the day, in at night. Many o'cast & many rainy days. '24 predictions are for similar weather. Indoor grow is not an option. My last year's crop was difficult & results were less than ideal - low yield, pests, etc. Any thought about some kind of work-around. Obviously can't control the weather ........... maybe pass on growing this year ?

Hows about a greenhouse?

Comment

That's a stretch for me, but I'll look into it .... thanks

Comment

I've been growing in containers outdoors in SoCal for more than 10 years. Last year's gray weather had a significant impact on my plants size and yield for sure. Over the years I've made simple adjustments that have helped. I installed a retractable awning to protect against heavy rains and provide shade on those hot hot days. Green houses are really difficult to manage in the California sun so I made a simple "screen house" from PVC and a mosquito net tent I bought online for $20. Doesn't block sunlight but keeps the insects at bay very well. I haven't lost a single flower to bud worm in 2 years. There are also premade butterfly enclosures online if you're not a DYI person. For the crawly pests I use sticky cards wrapped around the main stem. If you'll be growing in containers it's very important that they be a light color and off the ground so you don't cook your soil and roots. If you live in an area of SoCal that gets the Santa Ana winds then a tall solid stake in your container to tie off to is a must. I put mine in even before I plant. I got my fingers crossed that we have less gloom than last year. Good luck -

Comment

Thanks for your input. Do your plants stay out 24/7 ? What about rain? like last year?

Comment

• crucialbunny
            crucialbunny commented
            Editing a comment
            When they're still in solo cups I will typically keep them under lights inside unless it's a nice day then I will give them the benefit of natural light and bring them in at night. My opinion is that being outdoors in the elements makes them hardier. I transplant from the solos into 30 gallon cloth bags so once I've done that . . . . well, I'm not gonna move them again. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a retractable sun awning that I can use to protect them from heavy rains and the sometimes brutal California heat. Rain usually is only a problem when the branches get bud heavy, so support from the stake becomes important so they don't snap with the additional water weight. That's why I put those in before I plant because the soil settles around it and the roots help hold them in securely. For me, the main problem was bud rot from moth eggs hatching and the damned caterpillars eating them from the inside out. That simple screen house seems to have solved that issue and it helps keep the plants cleaner as well. For the past 2 years I have been virtually bug free. Plants like rain and as long as you have a soil that drains well you're golden. What part of SoCal do you live?

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Best advice yet you got from crucialbunny. You don't need to grow redwood trees to get good weed. A 15gal pot of good soil and keeping a good eye out for pests, don't grow too many don't draw attention to your grow. Low profile.

I'm throwing in with the micro-climate thing.
          I don't know if you have a grass yard or one of our xeriscape type yards. Seems to me that if you keep your plants secreted from neighbors among other flora on a grass yard you would have higher humidity. The xeriscape yards are drier by design and might be more affable in a humid environment like SoCal.
          I have to disagree with the greenhouse idea unless you can provide serious circulation and ventilation. Putting one against a house increases heat. Greenhouses help keep bugs out. That goes for all bugs. Like predatory insects that would otherwise help with the bad bugs.
          Bugs are a bitch. I fought horn worms back in my gardening days. Picking them was about the only way to keep them in check.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

Grow indoors

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man that's another good tip LOL

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X