Ok to use city tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok to use city tap?

Is it a bad idea to use my city tap water but I have a water softener connected, and ph it down? not sure if the softener will affect quality gets tiring buying decent water
    any thoughts? thanks

Do an EC measurement on it and check what is used to clean the water....it might be fine
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

The water softener I had used salt, not what you want for your plants. Maybe consider a RO unit to over clean the water, then add some calmag back to it. Or can you get water before the softener?
      Welcome to GWE

Comment

• Isaac11247
        Isaac11247 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't get water before it is softened so I'm unsure on the the affects. I might have to do some experimenting

I use tap water exclusively. I let the water off gas for a few hours or use a chlorine remover for aquariums, mostly use the chlorine remover. Never a problem.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        My provider uses chloramine which does not gas off, you can check with your provider as to what they use.

• dirtymike
        dirtymike commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine two. I get a water quality report every year and it tells what goes into the water to treat it for "human consumption", not exactly what the plant needs. Probably not to good for us either but better than a mud puddle. I collect alot of rain water when i can and treat it. What better that chlorine except "chlorine and ammonia".

If you are living in a position to catch rainwater off a roof, might be worth a look if your tap is a problem.

Rainwater has an EC of zero and nigh on impossible to do an accurate pH test without adding some nutes. My stored rainwater tends to vary a bit up and down with the pH but easy to manage.
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I just did a little reading on chlorine and chloramine and what they do to plants.
        We'alll aught to consider mentioning these two things in diagnosing plant problems when all the general solutions do not pan out.
        San Diego uses chloramines, FYI. High levels of calcium and magnesium. I might have learned why I always have at least a few brown leaf tips.
        Learning is cool.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Chloramine is 3.9 when I checked my city water report. They issue one yearly and it is available online. I have sit my water for 24hrs and done it straight from tap. My plants don't seem to mind either way. I sit my water just as peace of mind now cause they are taking in so much. Early veg I didn't worry about it.

Comment

My tap rarely exceeds 100ppm. I go straight from tap into soil. No gassing. They use chloramines to sterilize the water in my area so gassing will have no effect on the chloramine. I also have an RO unit but with as low as my tap PPM is I don't worry about the chloramine levels hurting my plants and welcome the extra calcium and magnesium.

Comment

Howdy Isaac11247 , I have all ways used the local tap water, especially since ours come from wells and surface reservoirs (blended). You should be able to get a water quality report from the city or from the water provider (if not the city or county). Most states require that the water be regularly tested for minerals and possible hazardous chemicals in the drinking water.
              Good luck with your growing.
              Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Please be easy on me, Rootsruler, as the 'gap' betwixt my ears is ruled by 'brain fog' LOL!!! I am in my early 70's so what my eyes think they are seeing is not necessarily what my brain receives, I think?!!

• Rootsruler
                Rootsruler commented
                Editing a comment
                DW2 - LOL! No worries Brother! Didn't mean to come off harsh. You were correct in your post. That's what matters....trust me....I'm not far behind you my guy!!

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Rootsruler, no offence taken. I went back and looked at the times listed on both of our posts on the subject, and I was probable still typing out my post while yo were posting yours. That's what I like about this forum, everybody is helpful and understanding (especially to the old buzzards! Now, what was the question anyway? LOL !!)

I use my city water and then crush 1/4 of a campden table per 5 gallons, and still let it breath for st least 48 hours before use. If I were you, I would use water from your front garden hose, to bypass the water softner.

Comment

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Qjohnb1963, that's a good idea for anyone with concerns about using softened water. Dang it! Wish I'd thought about that!!

• Orggrwr
                Orggrwr commented
                Editing a comment
                My outside faucet is connected after my water softener unit so water from my hose is the same as inside water but your system may be different. Home softener units have a bypass valve if you want regular water. Just turn the valve to bypass and your good to go. Just remember to run the water a minute to flush the softened water out.

I have a water softener unit for my well water because of high sulfur levels. I usually bypass it when drawing water for plants but of course forget sometimes. Did some research and most things I read say softened water is fine. Don't know exactly how it works but very little salt if any ends up in the water. Which makes sense because then the water would taste salty. The consensus was that you probably shouldn't use it exclusively for years because it may build up over time but short term is fine, especially if you use non softened water occasionally to flush. Now I water regularly with it and haven't had any problems. Home units also have a bypass valve if you want unsofted water.
              Last edited by Orggrwr; 01-27-2024, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Orggrwr
                Orggrwr commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the sulfur in my water stinks like hell without the softener. Smells a lot like rotten eggs. Not real noticeable if just filling up a jug or something like that but you don't want to shower in it.

• Rootsruler
                Rootsruler commented
                Editing a comment
                When I asked the local Culligan rep he pointed me at a high dollar system that removes the sulfur. This was apart from having a separate softening system. Didn't feel or sound right to me. Felt like he was banking on my limited knowledge of water softening systems.

• Orggrwr
                Orggrwr commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, sounds like he was looking for a good commission. My water is fine with a standard unit, nuthin fancy.

A water softener that uses salt will add sodium to the water - not salt. High sodium can be bad but it looks as though concentrations that high would push pH up to 8 / 8.5. That said, I use pre-softener water for plants.

Comment

I have always used tap water. It comes from the utility chlorinated, and softened. Then it runs through my house softener. So I guess it's ultra soft?

From the tap its Ph is around 8.5.

I don't do anything to it, other than knock it down to a Ph 6.5 with GH Ph down. I do use Calmag because it's so soft.

If it's fit for human consumption, is it really going to hurt my plants?
                SF 35X47X70 tent
                SF1000 X4
                AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
                AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
                FFOF Soil
                FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
                GH Flora Series
                3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
                Gelato Cake
                Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X