New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I’m a retired advertising copywriter up in the Great White North. Currently working on my first indoor grow. 2 X Shiva Skunk autos in a 4 X 4 AC Infinity tent with a couple of Spider Farmer SF-2000’s.

A question for the folks who live where cannabis is legal.

How does your home-grown stuff measure up to what‘s available commercially?

I’m kind of assuming that it’s better. I know I’ve been putting a lot more love into my first indoor grow than any commercial grower would.

Of course, they also know a lot more than I do 😄​

And one more point. I’ve been lurking for a while, and I just wanted to give big thanks to Nebula and Sirius for putting together/maintaining such an incredible resource. It’s been a huge help on this first grow.

Welcome RustyBud. I'm in Southern Oregon not as cold but we got slammed in some areas of the state with freezing rain, snow. I'm not having issues with the weather so far.

Well as far as homegrown vs dispensary weed it would for me depend on the cost per gram. I've never spent over $8 a gram which can be considered " cheep weed " now it's like $2 to 4 a gram because the flooded market. I only buy when i'm low on my homegrown which i do prefer to dispensary. I know what i feed it and don't spray with " scents or chemicals " there weed is so dry turns to powder when i grind it seems like. I'm buying seeds higher in THC and i like photoperiods over autos. Oh i like autos but it's just my preferance to grow photos.

Once i had a few grows indoors under my " skirt " i'd say the grows just got better an better. You'll see
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• quirk
      quirk commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to defoliate those under the "skirt" grows.

• GreenState
      GreenState commented
      Editing a comment
      quirk LOL!

Welcome to GWE!

Comment

Welcome Rusty

I've grown outdoors for over 35 years and have only recently started growing indoors with two grows under my belt.

Although my first two indoor grows were far from perfect it was clear to me that indoors is the way forward for me.

Where I see most difference is that I know that my buds have not been sprayed with any chemicals and you can really improve the quality in the dry, cure and storage. The dry and cure, IMHO, is where most quality gains are made if growing indoors.

Home grown is the best, it's a really great hobby, and there is much to learn. It's a voyage of discovery and I love it.
      Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
      Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

I dab. It's conglomerate resin for me. My weed is good and I will put it next to most prepackaged, but I cannot make the fine, fine inebriants I pay for.
        After cost, it comes down to how much trust I have in the company making my dope.
        Like SoOrbudgal mentioned about weedroids (weed steroids). You never know. 'round here, if someone gets late-stage flower trouble, we often tell folks to burn everything and start over. Companies would rather try products labelled as 'safe' for human consumption than get rid of a crop. Many of us are not human. Lots of questions about that.
        You will enjoy yours infinitely more because you grew it. It's like the kids at church. The kids at church are all dolled up and sparkly and on their best behavior. But once you get them out, they ain't but a bunch of fuckalls. But your kids are cool. And what, after all, is your local dispensary but a church to the great green god cannabis?
        Wait. Did I just compare kids to weed? I was going to use tomatoes instead of kids. Not sure why I went with kids. Or church for that matter!
        Last edited by Gingerbeard; 01-14-2024, 09:16 PM.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

I've been growing for three years or so and the last harvest was the first time I've exceed dispensary weed quality. Not to say the other grows were bad - some were ok, some were good - but if I bought this last one from a store I would go back and demand the rest of the stock.

Comment

Hi RustyBud Welcome aboard. To answer your question, yes. My homegrown weed is on par at the very least with what I can buy at the dispo. I actually think it's better but I'm a little jaded that way. Everything I know about growing cannabis I learned right here. Sounds like you have a good set up. What's your grow medium?
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

My homegrown stuff will stand up to the Pepsi challenge any day. That being said, not 100% of my stuff winds up being high grade. I've had problems along the way and made some errors. But my good stuff is medicinal grade. My "bad stuff" is still worthy of being packaged up like brick weed and sold on the street. I just wouldn't be proud of it.

Don't get discouraged if everything doesn't go right the first time. Don't fret too much about "when exactly to harvest". Take advice with a grain of salt because every setup is different. Check your water! PH is important. The more you study the more success you'll have.

Probably the most important thing you can do is start with good genetics. Sounds like you have some good ones there, but don't forget dispensaries love to make bold claims about how awesome their product is. Some are very reputable, some not so much. If you can get seeds from a friend that has had great success all the better. The fact is not all strains love to grow everywhere. I tried some OG Hindu Kush where I live (Zone 6) and it didn't thrive. But other Indica strains go bonkers. So it's sometimes a coin toss.

Bill Ward has some awesome videos about how to LST and train your indoor plants. I suggest watching his YouTube videos for reference. Best of Luck!

Comment

I'm new also. My first grow in a cardboard area produced 17 ounces from 3 wildly grown runtzs. Obama, Black and Jealousy. They were 25 to 30 thc. .Now trying fruity pebbles and gelato clones. Switch lite times next week. Vivosun tent now in a cold basement. Using coco/perlite. 600 watt

Comment

• Bluey
                  Bluey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi and welcome @lmk

Pics please

• Rootsruler
                  Rootsruler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome LMK

I’ve used my grow closet for startups only in the past, but I’m on my second complete indoor grow and leaning that way to avoid fall bugs.. Welcome to the new members.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X