growing autos first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

growing autos first time

Thank you for allowing me on this forum. Here's my question.

I've been growing photos for a number of years. Nice results, but the long growing period is tedious, plus it runs up my energy bill.

So I'm going to grow autos on my next grow. Never grown them before, so I guess I'm looking for some input from those who have experience. What size pots, soil, food, even strains and seeds sources.
    I from in a 4x4 tent, use a 600w mh/hps light, and a 6" fan and charcoal filter.

Examples of Common Cannabis Grow Setups | Grow Weed Easy
    WWED?

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Autos want light at least 18 hours a day for the whole grow, photos want that same light during veg but it gets cut for flowering to 12/12s at 5 weeks old (or go longer for bigger plants). That means the photos cost less in electricity, the autos can be given shorter grow time, but it costs in harvest. Pot size for autos 2-5 gallon is good. Soil or non soil (hydro etc.), ferts, your choice, there is so many out there.

Comment

• Bluey
        Bluey commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you checked this against DLI for autos and photos?

Aren't they pretty much the same amount of light over a day just different intensities and exposure times? Or am I wrong on that?

I'd think if the DLI was the same then electricity costs would be about the same.

I'm all for reducing electricity costs. They are my highest cost.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        When I grow inside, whether it autos or photos the LED is on 100%, so 6 hours less time on is less cost.

Some autos these days can go pretty long , best to check your generics if you looking for a fast turn around. I had a couple up over 100 days. Your setup and method will undoubtedly affect it too.
      They were good sized plants, I think the auto breeders are in some cases selecting for longer veg times. Those plants took about 5 weeks to Start flowering. Of course this means a bigger plant

Just my 2 cents
      KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
      Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
      Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
      Maybe some compost teas
      Blumat watering system
      Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
      3x4x6’ tent
      Photontek 465wpro
      6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
      Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I've only ever grown autos. I use autoCob lights in a 3x3 tent. Most of my grows are lights on 24/7, but the last few I went 22 hours on and 2 off. I use 3 gal pots and use coco as my medium. I would say I averaged about 8 ounces a plant. Some yielded less, some yielded way more. I could only grow 3 or 4 at a time but 4 was pushing it due to the tent size.

You can check out my grows in my past grows link, or learn how I quadline in the quadline link. You can also message me with any questions you have. im sure you'll do fine though!
        Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

Welcome Naushon you could do 3gal pots and put 6 autos for that space. Or 5gal pots and do 4 will they be all the same strain? I've done 20/4 and 18/6 but i've got newer LED panels so i hardly notice much electric costs increase. It's a hobby and enjoyment playing with plants during the winter for me so i spend my extra pennies on that. Enjoy learning auto flowers indoors they don't like heavy feedings like those photos do but check all the grow info for the seeds you choose.

Comment

2 Auto Jack Herer started August 1, Just harvested today. Exact same everything throughout grow. Only difference is that I topped the short one at abut 3 weeks old.
            OG, Amnesia, and Blueberry ( on the left ) are all Photo's. Started August 1, they still have a long way to go.
            As I write this I realize ( DUH ) that if I gave those Auto's at least 18 hours of light a day the whole grow they would be much bigger. I had to switch to 12 hours so the Photo's would bud. Next grow will be all the same in the tent ... Auto or Photo.
            Happy Growing

Learn something new everyday...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X