Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe clawing

Hi There,

Poor thing! Yep, I’m a newbie and it shows.

°°Question: The larger leaves have always shown minor clawing due to various stresses, but today it’s gone massive .... all Tim Burton & sh*t. Can this, along with the arcing droop, also be from topping​? Or maybe because the humidity dropped dramatically? (34% slightly above & 46% on floor at time of pic). Should I give it a week or so before considering root rot (in a grow bag?)? Nute lockout?
    P.S. The water meter was showing Dry+ today and so I gave her 1000 ml water w/ ¾ nutes and had approx. 130 ml runoff. And now the humidity is climbing back up to a comfier range.

Back Story:
    Strawberry Cough Strain – Spider Farmer SF1000 lights now at 60% w/ 48 cm distance. Clip fan creating very gentle breeze from above.
    Germinated in too large a container (4L), then overwatered a bit and gradually got her back on track, maybe a little too slowly. Used ½ of recommended amount of Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Micro – Grow – Bloom to start and am now at ¾ to help correct the obvious nute deficiency. The pH consistently sits around 6.8 – 7.0.
    She took the move from a 4L to an 8L pretty well, is now in her sixth week and probably should be a lot bigger.​
    The soil is mediocre, just regular potting soil that I flushed before using for germination (as well as the additional soil for repotting) so I could start on the nutrient regime w/o nute burn.

TIA
    Last edited by GrowBabiesGrow; 06-30-2023, 10:01 AM.

I'm guessing a watering problem and/or magnesium deficiency. How often do you water and how often do you feed? What medium are you using?
    Hang a wet towel in your tent to bring humidity up higher. Aim for 65%
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

• GrowBabiesGrow
      GrowBabiesGrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much Bluey!

I started stepping up the water amount around 10 days ago and am now on a watering schedule of 800 ml w/ 3/4 recommended pH Perfect nutes every other day. There's usually around 100 -150 ml runoff.

65% sounds high, but I'll give it a go. And, yes, I've put a small wet towel in a small tray before & it worked well. Totally spaced on that tactic!!

"The soil is mediocre, just regular potting soil that I flushed before using for germination (as well as the additional soil for repotting) so I could start on the nutrient regime w/o nute burn.​​"

Hey there! No idea about your deal.
    My comment is about your ONA. I have not experienced this, but people have said the ONA imparts it's smell on weed when too close.
    More hands!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Gingerbeard, get the ONA out!! Do not even have it in the same room or grow area. I did place some in my grow room, years ago, and it totally ruins the aroma of the weed.

Thanks Gingerbread!

My tent is only 60x60x120, so pretty small. I was concerned about how strong the ONA is and covered most of the lid to limit the output, as it were. I'll see about getting it up in air, away from the plant, maybe by putting it in a suspended bag or something. Or simply keep it outside the tent.

My idea was to use the ONA in the beginning of the veg stage to save a bit of electricity before turning the carbon scrubber on. The fan component has 2 output levels (15W / 25W) for 145 / 187m³/h. Hope that'll be enough for the Strawberry Cough strain. The carbon canister itself can handle a fan up to 360 m³/h, but what I have now just barely fits in.

Last edited by GrowBabiesGrow; 06-30-2023, 12:51 PM.

Comment

How about a general location in your place? I only put a couple small holes in my lid and kept it in my kitchen.
      When the block dries out and doesn't smell as strong, it can be broken up for more red-hot odor neutralization.
      More hands!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• GrowBabiesGrow
        GrowBabiesGrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Again! I edited my first ONA post, but think keeping outside the tent will be better. Don't much care for the smell, but at least I'll know what's going on inside the tent.

My first reaction is too much nitrogen. Overly dark green leaves and clawing is a common symptom.

Comment

• GrowBabiesGrow
        GrowBabiesGrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Crucialbunny!

The leaves aren't actually overly dark, although I can see that they look a bit like that in the pic. The largest of the leaves have been yellowing between the vein in various degrees ..... so probably a nitrogen/nutrient deficiency. I'm thinking a combination of underwatering, under feeding and extra stress from topping her a couple days ago.
        From my previous comment:
        I started stepping up the water amount around 10 days ago and am now on a watering schedule of 800 ml w/ 3/4 of the Advanced Nutrients recommended pH Perfect 3-part nutes every other day (3 ml each per 1 liter). There's usually around 100 -150 ml runoff.

The yellowing between the veins starting from the bottom up is most likely a magnesium deficiency. You can double check your pH runoff or just bring it up a bit and or suppliment. Up to you..
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

Hi GrowBabiesGrow what kind of aeration do you have in that soil? Is the soil dry in between waterings? What method are you using to determine that? 800ml with 3/4 nutes every other day is a lot. Let the soil dry out...completely...when you think its dry enough...wait another day. Looks and sounds like overwatering to me. I have no experience with ONA so can only echo what others have said, it WILL taint your flowers. If your budget and setup allow it, a carbon filter works just as well.at masking odors.
        Last edited by golfnrl; 07-01-2023, 07:46 AM. Reason: Edit: Use the knuckle and lift test to help you know when to water.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
        Autopot system
        :
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system:
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Smallgrow
          Smallgrow commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya I second the overwatering. Too much love is a common problem.
          I also agree that higher humidity around 60-65 is the best place to be in Veg

• GrowBabiesGrow
          GrowBabiesGrow commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Golfnrl!

The soil is mediocre and I’ll definitely use something better next time. Right now, its standard potting soil with small bits of bark, etc. that I flushed before using it for germination and then repotting so I could start out with a very, very small amount of nutes w/o nute burn, like 0.20 ml when 1 – 2 ml were recommended. The thing is that there was definitely an under nute problem since there was/is yellowing between the veins on the largest, lowest leaves.

Now I'm thinking about dropping back to 600 ml w/ 1/2 nutes (and hopefully some runoff will appear) every third day IF the weight & knuckle tests indicate as such °I really like your “wait one more day” suggestion!°

And … I took the ONA out straight away. I do have a carbon scrubber with an exterior switch that works really well, but wanted to try alternatives during the veg stage to save a bit on electricity & noise. I’m also looking into popping a lemon balm and/or basil plant in the tent since there seem to be many benefits to this tactic.
          Last edited by GrowBabiesGrow; 07-01-2023, 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Originally posted by Smallgrow View Post
        Ya I second the overwatering. Too much love is a common problem.
        I also agree that higher humidity around 60-65 is the best place to be in Veg
        65% humidity might be difficult to maintain while running the carbon scrubber and according to the manufacturer, it's not a good idea to run it in higher humidity simply because the canister will need to be replaced quicker, which I actually have no problem with.

Comment

• Smallgrow
          Smallgrow commented
          Editing a comment
          We all have various limitation in our grow spaces to deal with. I’m lucky to not have to worry about smell so I don’t need any filtration. I just vent to the outside and enjoy the smell in my yard.
          I do run a humidifier almost all the way through veg. Get the Rh up as high as you feel you can, and just keep working on getting the watering right(it way trickier than people think) Maybe someone else using your set up will chime in on using the scrubber with higher humidity.

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah carbon filters don't last long in high humidity but you only really run high humidity early to mid/late veg and if you need to scrub then, we'll, I don't get that.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
        Yeah carbon filters don't last long in high humidity but you only really run high humidity early to mid/late veg and if you need to scrub then, we'll, I don't get that.
        She's the Strawberry Cough strain and yep, she's already a wee bit whiffy at approx. 6 weeks.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X