Between grows soil storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between grows soil storage

I plan to grow in soil, what is the correct way to store any extra soil until the next crop cycles through my tent?
    my gut says cool, dark, in something with a good lid seal. But to not waste money and resources,
    I would truly like to hear from an experienced grower on the best way. Thanks.

Hi Frost and welcome. I keep the bag that the soil comes in and keep the soil 'till the next time I grow again. My current grow is in its 5th cycle. I store it in my garage.

Comment

I use 35 gallon plastic trash bins with a lid. I recommend 1 or 2 small weep holes in the bottom to keep it from fermenting. Throughout the off season I add worm castings, compost, and molasses tea periodically to keep it biologically active, Invariably some worms and their eggs from my castings begin to reproduce in there also keeping it happy and active.

Comment

Above all it must be kept moist. The micro organisms that good soil needs to feed your plants will die off it's allowed to dry out and the soil will degrade.
        It also won't hurt to add a balanced organic diet to it but then you will be needing either aerobic or anaerobic climate in the soil for propper composting.
        Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
        Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
        Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
        Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
        Last Grow: A mix

Comment

I keep mine in big rubbermaid totes. If it's moist, I keep the lid slightly ajar.

As others have mentioned, if you want to keep it 'alive' for organic grows, it will take occasional maintenance. However, I grow organic and about a month before it's time to start (if I've taken some time off from growing which I do in the winter because it gets too cool in my grow room) I will start 'cooking' the soil by adding whatever amendments I want, keep it moist, etc.

Just avoid anything too moist as that can cause 'bad' bacteria and microbes to grow and nobody wants that!
          Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
          Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

Thank you all very much for the advice!
            👍

Comment

I'm all about letting the soil dry out by whatever means.
              A fresh bag of soil contains lots of active bugs and junk. Usually it's fungus gnats. No idea if it kills good stuff.
              Dab, you fool!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

I've been growing strictly in soil for the last four years. Assuming your soil comes in bags, I just leave any extra in the bag and seal it with tape or clamps. Also when I start a new grow, I use about 25% of the previous soil in my mix.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

For potting soil storage if your doing it in bins or bags I wouldn’t worry too much about maintaining biology as it’s easy enough to reinoculate it for our purposes with a quality compost or worm tea introduced at time of planting. Don’t pack your stored soil tight and periodically aerate to prevent anaerobic conditions.

Typically growing in pots and feeding with plant available nutrients circumvent some of the biological symbiosis that is optimal for a diverse biome anyways, this is where the plants themselves feed the biology which they in turn feed the plant.
                  Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
                  Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
                  Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6”vent
                  Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6”vent
                  Dry - 2x4 tent, 6”vent

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X