Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seedling issue - Am I done before I've started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seedling issue - Am I done before I've started?

Stupid excited to have my tent all configured and 'under one pane of glass' when it comes to controls.

Lights, exhaust fan, and clip fan inside of the tent can all be programmed and controlled via an app on my phone. (And I have a schedule of sorts all fleshed out on it)

Currently I have 2 seedlings in the tent on a 18/6 schedule with the exhaust fan on a similar sked. The in tent fan was blowing gently on these ladies until I took a look today...

It appears that they both have flopped over either due to too much of a breeze, overwatering (the soil looked dry) or something else I might be missing.

I lowered my SF2000 and killed the in tent fan (but still have the exhaust fan on a very low speed)

Are these ladies done for already, or is there a chance of hope if I leave them alone for a while to see if they recover?
    (Mind you, this is my absolute first attempt at a grow so EVERYTHING is still pretty new)

Thanks!

No need for any fan blowing on them really. They will be OK once they recover. Too much love.....

Comment

• 3Berries
      3Berries commented
      Editing a comment
      My latest seedling grow I used a small 2.5" fan and just had it blowing against one wall of the tent to keep air moving.

To me it looks like they "were" stretching like crazy for the light prior to falling over.

Comment

Wellll we got us a bury them deeper issue if you can might want to do it in there final pot. Or... nope i got no other answer other than when you do transplant they'll need support like a tooth pic to anchor them. Hurry else they'll die, got more seed?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

It's common to not add enough soil at first. Did you wet the medium before planting seed? Were they full or did you lose dirt? If the plant on the right makes it thru transplant it's already training itself sideways. The one on the left - I'd try to save, add more soil loosely around the stem and stake it, tied with something soft, gradually adjusting. Just seedlings needing light, dirt and some water, nothing too fancy at this stage. They should be standing up to the light, maybe they did drink too much? Don't blow 'em with fans yet.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I think your light is too far away. The seedling stretched way too much and fell over. Re-pot it into its forever home, bury it almost to the leaves and move your lights further away. be gentle.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

Kill the interior fan. It's not needed until the plants are much larger. Lower your light as the plants are stretching too much, Either replant or fill the cups to the top with soil and support the plant with a toothpick. If you do this now, they should recover.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

What they said with regards to burying them at least half way.

Get the Photone app for your phone and calibrate it accordingly to the published ppfd maps for your SF2000. I've had good luck running seedlings at 200 par until they get two sets of true leaves then up the light to 250 and then 300 ppfd the next day or day after. There lots of good info on lighting but you have to know your own lights to follow it.
              Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
              Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
              Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Congrats on your first grow! Sounds like you've done a lot of research and put a lot of effort and time into your setup so you should be proud of that!

A few notes on your immediate issue:
                - First of all, your seedlings are going to be just fine with some minor corrective actions.
                - Use something to gently prop the little sprouts up...a toothpick, a plant tie shaped like a letter 'Y', or something else that you can adjust a couple times a day. They'll be growing straight up in no time.
                - Add some soil as well but don't go crazy - as the roots grow, they'll go down deeper and be just fine.
                - As someone else mentioned (and you already did) adjusting the lights will help keep the seedling from stretching too far too fast.

Now for a couple of thoughts for moving forward:
                - The biggest factor that prohibits correct growth is often a grower with too much love to give! Not bad to be excited and attentive, but keep in mind that as with most things in life, less is more.
                - It's going to be easy to get all tangled up in numbers...PPM, ppfd, EC, and all sorts of alphabet soup. But remember: always go back to the basics! This means focusing on temp/humidity/ventilation/circulation/watering regime. And of course, nutrients as long as you don't become obsessed with them.
                - $#!+ will happen. Embrace it and learn from it. That's why you're growing instead of purchasing from a dispensary or your friend down the street. When things happen, take a breath and again go back to the basics. Those will help you treat the source of any problems as opposed to chasing symptoms.
                - Be kind to yourself! You'll make mistakes along the way...we all have and we ALL still do! The mistakes don't matter. What matters is that you learn from them. Take notes, keep a journal, do it differently next time.

You got this!
                Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
                Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

You all rock - I already dig this community!

I went ahead and transplanted these ladies to what will be their 'forever home' in 3 gallon air pots and used this op to cover a good portion of the floppy stem in wormdirt. (aka coco/CV)

Their little heads are nicely poking out and the light has been lowered - Ill give them a day or so before checking in on them but I have confidence they will recover and eventually thrive.

Thanks again for all of the great advice and encouragement here!

Comment

• AGH
                    AGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    GWE is a pretty great place for information and a wide-ranging span of information, opinions, and ideas and it's even more awesome in the time we're in where we would be led to believe that everyone is out for themselves.

Glad to hear you're making progress!

Oof...

I went back to look in on them again and same shit, more leaves.

I transplanted them to the bigger pots, buried them up to their eyeballs and dropped the light to where its damn near touching their stupid asses.
                  Came in this morning to see them stretched and slumped again.
                  This time I took a couple of paperclips and make a makeshift prop to try to keep them upright. This damned initial stalk appears to want to maintain the figure of an anorexic meth head, but have the height of an NBA basketball player. (IF they survive they are going to have some knobbly knees from all of the breaks they have been enduring)

Im a wee bit frustrated at this point, but not defeated yet... I might try to pop some more seeds in cups in an attempt to get a better starter - these ladies are causing me heartache already.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you're still having a challenge with your little seedlings! Here is an article with great photos for how to help prop them up: https://www.growweedeasy.com/tall-marijuana-seedling

How are the bases of your stems? Do they look healthy or do they look skinny/weak/soft? They may be damping off and here's a good article about that: https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-p...e/damping-off/ (although I do not agree you should actually cook your soil in an oven, and if you're growing organically, reusing your soil is actually a good thing as long as you add the necessary amendments between grows)

Hope things get better and if they don't that you are at least able to find out why so that you can prevent it in the future. Any new pics at all?

Organic indoor grower - 4x4 tent - 2 Electric Sky 180v3s
                    Relax, don't worry, less is more...usually!

Comment

Probably too wet. I'm 35 days into a grow and have yet to fully saturate the growing media to run off. I do initially wet to just a bit of runoff.

Using maybe a pint a day on 3.5 gal pots but managing their own RH for good VPD. The fan either runs at 76F or 66% to maintain things.

I sprouted three seeds and planted in 16 oz solo cups. Then put them in a big enough pot and filled with the same soil, wetted that. Then wrapped a heater around the pot to maintain 72F. The roots really liked the heat and they would initially grow towards the outside of the pot where the heater was. This is with mid 60fs ambient. So I guess what I am suggesting is keeping the entire solo cup warm and a constant temp.

Because these were sitting in soil they really could not get too wet as it just drained on through. They were getting about a ounce every two days at this stage, 8 days from the soak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GDP1 2023 8 day.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	587933

Comment

Well, sadly I had to pull both of these little guys as it appears that they 'broke to the point of no return' at the bend spot when they flopped at their early age. The leaves started dying so I am guessing the breakpoint wasn't allowing the rest of the plant to feed.

I just plopped some new seeds in some water for the next 12 hours before they go into moist paper towels to pop.
                        Hopefully lessons were learned and I will have a greater level of success this go round.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

• Blowdout2269
                          Blowdout2269 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If a lesson has been learned...Don't let it get you down.
                          Good luck on the next ones! 🙂👍😜🤞

• AGH
                          AGH commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry that you had to start from scratch, but like Blowdout says, what matters is that you learned something!

What strain are you going with this time?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X