Bad seeds or lack of patience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad seeds or lack of patience

I have old seeds, not sure how old but lots of them. Trying to germinate and having issues. Not sure if I am not being patient enough or having seed issues. What I have tried in groups of 4:
    1: soaking for 24-48 hours then to hydro set up with 4 hr lights for germ approx 10 days ago, nada
    2: soaking in tap for 24 -48 then to paper towel
    3: soaking in purified H2O with peroxide for 24-48 hrs then to paper towel
    4: soaking in purified for 4 days.
    Some posts say not to not soak more then 32 hrs while others say soak until tap root. I did see 1 article in high times that says it can take 3 days to 3 weeks. Thats the only thing I saw that went up to 3 weeks. Almost all seeds have sunk to bottom (all but 1). Some of them were stored in fridge while others in house in air tight jar in dark. Also saw a couple that seemed to develop small air bubble at Tip. Still nada. Any thoughts? Please and thanks
    Last edited by NewANDlearning; 01-02-2023, 03:01 PM. Reason: Forgot one had peroxide added

Why a second post?
    I think you will get the answers you seek from starting only one topic.
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• NewANDlearning
      NewANDlearning commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, it posted 2x. I couldn't find it the 1st time. Thanks for the heads up- can't find delete. Original post is bad seeds or lack of patience
      Last edited by NewANDlearning; 01-02-2023, 03:00 PM. Reason: Duplicate post.

Throw a handful inna wet paper towel fold it over, seal it inna zip-loc bag and put it someplace warm. If that doesn't work, buy some new ones.

Comment

by Nebula Haze Table of Contents Intro: How to Germinate Cannabis Seeds Are my seeds good? 5 Common Germination Methods Method 1: Starter Cubes & Seedling Plugs (Recommended!)

give this a look. May help.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• NewANDlearning
        NewANDlearning commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what got me to this point. 😀 now i am trying to figure out if what i am doing is not working or i am not being patient enough. All I've read indicates 2-3 days and the seeds in the direct hydro are 10 days old germ. Appreciate the feedback.

There is really no set time. Older seeds will generally take longer. But if a seed doesn't sprout in my paper towel within three to five days, I sure as hell don't just throw it out. I've left bunches of seeds in a damp paper towel for weeks!
      Back to playin in the dirt!
      Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
      I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

Just curious, why do people germinate in paper towel? Ive been just placing in the soil, mind you im only on my second grow but i havent had any failures.

Comment

• NewANDlearning
          NewANDlearning commented
          Editing a comment
          In my case, preparing for hydro so put in soil not a good plan. What do I know, I'm NewANDLearning.

• AGH
          AGH commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a very good question ponzi!

People do paper towel because that way, you can make sure the seed is germinating. In a paper towel, you can see when the taproot pops out and you know it's a viable seed but in soil you don't know until it pops above the soil...or doesn't. You can also make sure that it's nice and moist as well as warm. You can do this in soil as well, but not as easily.

I personally don't use a paper towel. I soak the seeds in room temp water (no pH-ing, no fancy spells cast, nothing added, just plain old tap water) for about 24-36 hours. 90% of the time, a taproot will show in that amount of time (take it out as soon as the taproot pops out) and the other 10% of the time, the seed is at least open demonstrating that the seed is viable. The moisture (both in the paper towel method and the glass of water method) help soften the shell to make it a little easier for the taproot to pop out which is another thing that soil doesn't do as good of a job at.

Of course, in the wild, seeds go right into the ground and cannabis has been doing its thing for thousands of years and works well! As growers though, we like to help the process along and create even more ideal conditions for success. Just like a reese's cup, there's no wrong way to do it as long as in the end you've got a happy, healthy plant and are having fun!

Hey everyone, I was just reading the post about how some of you germinate your seeds I was wondering does anybody use a scruff box I found that very helpful for older seeds. All I did was take a piece of sandpaper cut it to size to fit inside of a pill bottle, put the seeds in there shake them for a little while to take the waxy coating off the seed and that seems to help them germinate? I read about it online so I do not want to take credit for someone else’s invention!

Comment

• 3Berries
          3Berries commented
          Editing a comment
          I use to grow the blue morning glories every year and you had to file down the seed a bit to get them to sprout. The farmers use to blame me for all the morning glory weeds but they were never blue ones.

Heavenly blue🙃
        keeping it green with the soil thing
        love me some frosty autos
        braap
        BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
        Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
        the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
        blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• 3Berries
          3Berries commented
          Editing a comment
          At the time the south side of my house was like a solar collector and really heated it up in the summer. I strung up string every year and made a trellis out of it for them to climb. Worked great as they usually got up to the roof by summers end.

Having a hard time figuring out post/ reply on this site. THANKS for feedback.
        UPDATE: BEST RESULTS
        1. Warm tap water with H2O2 NO MORE THEN 24 HRS
        2. 6 of 10 germed in damp papertowel ( my papertowel was light wet)
        3. no more than 5 days til taproot
        seeds were >10 yrs old

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X