Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jebidiah
    commented on 's reply
    That’s something that never crossed my mind…thanks for the wisdom.

• Ckbrew
    replied
    Originally posted by BR2K View Post
    Coco-coir/perlite grow, I chose this method because I am lazy.
    I should have added this to my list. Lazy is not necessarily bad. Lazy people tend to be the most efficient because they find the easiest way to do things, so long as you don't compromise on the end results. Lazy = efficient.
    Last edited by Ckbrew; 01-25-2022, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    replied
    I use coco/perlite. Disclosure, that is the only medium I have used except promix which is similar. Reasons, Simplicity, resistance or buffer from screw ups and unforeseen events, ease of recovery from an adverse event, low cost. Now that I have the hardware, All I need is the coco/perlite itself, cloth bags, nutrient concentrates, water, electricity, and some misc low cost expendable items. The knowledge base on this type of grow is extensive and I can read. Yes there were some bumps in the learning curve. I had an unexpected absence for 5 days at the end of the veg period last May. I was able to enlist the help of friends and provide them with explicit instructions on mixing the solutions. All they had to do was measure, mix, pour, and remove runoff. If I had been running a DWC system (an option I seriously considered) I don't think the grow would have survived. The bottom line is, do what works for you, and the harvest results.

Leave a comment:

• BR2K
    replied
    Mid-7th(?) Coco-coir/perlite grow, I chose this method because I am lazy. I buy premixed 70/30 mixture. I'm not an artisan grower. My previous experience growing things was when I was 13. I was hired by my church to water the property, which included flowering plants. That's where I learned about watering habits, the hard way. Thankfully, I didn't kill anything. Coco-coir is the most forgiving medium I've found and I am STILL learning. Now, I am gauging watering effectiveness regarding how much to allow to drain with my particular situation...which every grower needs to determine. I want to provide the best amount of water, that won't promote root rot from perhaps keeping things moist and avoid underwatering which will simply inhibit growth. I don't brag simply because I'm just like everybody else. Also, security-wise just not wise. Good luck!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    commented on 's reply
    I would advise against putting your spent nute solution in a septic system. You are asking for trouble and an expensive repair. I send mine to the vegetable garden. Unless you are a large commercial grower, just spread is around where you want plants to grow. Also don't put it in a public sewer system.

• Jebidiah
    replied
    I run DWC but I’m gonna lurk here in the comments hoping people start chiming in with their opinions, pros, and cons from experience because I would like to learn a little on the subject too. So instead of posting links to GWE let’s hear some stories from you old growers. What have you tried and how did it work? For me DWC works because I don’t have to lug dirt in and out of the house just move water from room to room; it’s not in the way when I don’t need it nor does it leave a pile when I pour it out (my yard looks and grows better where my septic lines run 🙂). So come on people here’s your chance to brag!

Leave a comment:

• gbauto
    replied
    Welcome, coco.
    Not to tease, but there is a difference between cocoa and coco-coir.
    I use coco/perlite mix at 75%/25% in fabric bags in my drain-to-waste tray.
    The primary difference is that you have to treat coco like a hydroponic system.
    Coco doesn't hold nutrients like soil will, so you need to feed/water them continuously.

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeard
    replied
    More information than you thought you needed.

Leave a comment:

• UberMensch
    replied
    There will be many knowledgeable folks here offer opinions based on their experience, I am not one of those knowledgeable people. I am currently on my 2nd grow which involves coco/perlite (the first was DWC). I am 2 weeks 4 days from seed on this grow, and I am very impressed with the coco/perlite grow medium (ratio 2 coco:1 perlite).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2652a.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	554553

Leave a comment:

• Coco
    started a topic soil v cocoa

soil v cocoa

back to growing in soil for a while now but, thinking about a wee change to cocoa.
    . also if I do do I add pearlite? just wondering peoples opinion on cocoa v soil pros and cons. cheers.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X