Question for Oil and Edible Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Oil and Edible Makers

Knowing in the future I'll be on O2 24/7 so will be unable to smoke I've learned to make oil for making medibles for sleeping & pain relief. So far everyone who's tried it have been happy with the affects all be it mainly a body buzz. My question is is there anything I can do either while growing my plant ie harvest later or in the way it's consumed or quantity taken that will get me a similar psychoactive affect like when smoking cannabis.

My experience with making edibles is not very extensive. However my experience with consuming edibles is that the effects are very different from smoking. This applies to edibles I have purchased as well as made. Smoking effects come on rapidly with a "rush" while edibles are very subtle. The "head" high always seems to be less but the effects appear to last much longer. Sorry Poppa, best I can offer.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I take it that vaping is out also. The effect you are seeking has more to do with rate of absorption rather than quantity or quality. Think of a graph of blood level of THC vs time. When smoking or vaping, the vaporized THC goes through the lungs and directly to the blood and rapidly to the brain. The graph would have a very steep upward curve and a shorter duration. When using edibles, the THC goes through the gut and liver. The graph would have a less steep curve with a longer duration. The liver also produces active THC metabolites that have a different effect than non-metabolized THC. One way to increase the adsorption rate is to use the sublingual, or under the tongue method. The blood vessels are very close to the surface here so direct adsorption is easier. Using a carrier like glycerine will enhance the rate of adsorption. You could use 95% ethanol as a carrier, but that would burn the heck out of your mouth. Glycerine is also a good carrier and a glycerine tincture may help you get closer to your goal. The way I make the glycerine tincture is to mix oil thinned out with ethanol with the glycerine and then stir and heat to 122*C for 30 minutes. This really creates more of an emulsion as THC is not very soluble in glycerine. Just put your dose under your tongue and let it sit there. This will get you closer to the effect that you want, but not completely there. Truth be told, it is a bit of a unicorn to try and reproduce the effects attained by inhalation using a different route of ingestion. Theoretically, an intravenous dosing would get you there, but don't even think of trying that. I have not come across an IV form of THC that is remotely safe to use. Some people are working on inhalers for dosing, but idk if this would be an option for you and the technique has not been fully developed. If you would like some reading on pharmacokinetics of THC, check here:

Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta-9-THC) is the main psychoactive ingredient of cannabis (marijuana). The present review focuses on the pharmacokinetics of THC, but also includes known information for cannabinol and cannabidiol, as well as the synthetic marketed cannabinoids, dronabinol (synthetic …

Perhaps harvesting early might get you some of the head high vs body high, but I have not tested this theory with edibles. Hope this helps. You are not the first person to be in your situation. This is the best option I have found to try and achieve your goal with out inhaling something. One other method you may want to explore is topical application using a different carrier. I haven't had a lot of experience with that, and there are carriers that are effective at increasing adsorption, but they can be somewhat toxic themselves. DMSO comes to mind.
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 09-14-2021, 12:23 PM.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Catfish22
        Catfish22 commented
        Editing a comment
        As a paramedic the majority of our calls were for "difficulty breathing". I'd bet half the time the patient was on O² and smoking while having trouble breathing.
        I think you could safely vape as there is no open flame or spark.

• Poppa
        Poppa commented
        Editing a comment
        Both Ckbrew and dphipps1020 are right it is mainly the flame that will be the issue. Before writing this I did go and dip my finger in the oil and rubbed it under my tongue twice to experience the burn Ckbrew had mentioned it didn't feel that bad (does linger for some time) but the taste was nothing I'd want to linger for any length of time. Had to clean my finger with alcohol and put chap stick on my lips to keep them from sticking together. Need to do some research and tests of Ck's Glycerin carrier method.

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Poppa If you saw my post on making tincture, at the point of where I had the concentrate in the boiling flask is where I would deviate from the posted procedure and start on the glycerine procedure. I use an extract from 8 gm bud charge, reduce it down, then add 200ml glycerine. Then the heating and stirring begins. I heat to 122 - 125*C with maximum stirring. By doing this, the beginning decarb step can be skipped because decarb will be done here. This step also drives off any remaining ethanol and helps to emulsify the mix. I have found that 8gm bud per 200ml glycerine is about the maximum saturation of the glycerine you are going to get. After that, you just get free oil floating in the glycerine. A small amount of that will happen anyway. I have been making it this way for the past 10 years for an ALS patient. Let me know if you want more detail.

I think I would have to agree with OldManGrower on this one. While you can still get a really good high from edibles, it's just not the same as smoking it. Have you looked into a dry herb vape? I don't think those would cause any problems with O2 tanks, and will give you a high that's closer to actually smoking it. Some of them can be pricey depending on what you're looking for, but I think it would be worth looking into. I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but I got myself a PAX3 and it's come in handy for me a few times. It's pretty easy to use, just pack your weed in the little oven and turn it on and it's ready to vape in less than 30 seconds. Biggest thing that sold me on the PAX3 was the 10 year warranty. There's a few others that may have other suggestions for dry herb vapes, and they also use one because they can't actually smoke the flower. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Comment

My first homemade edibles were 'firecrackers'. I would get a head high then remember that I'd eaten the firecracker, I got both head and body with those. It takes me more of any edibles to get the desired effect. Didn't you get head buzzed from licking the oil while processing? Were different strains processed together or separately? Have you tried a bigger dose and still no head buzz? Trying to think of what's not working out for you, Poppa.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Poppa
          Poppa commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen you mention "firecrackers" a few times on different post and have thought of asking what are they and how their made. Yes I did get a buzz and fairly fast after licking up drips of oil while processing it and one of the reasons I dipped my finger and put under my tongue today as a test. There are 2 different strains in this batch of oil 30+ grams of Bubblelicious and 6+ ounces from the Somango XXL clones I grew just for learning to make oil. And the under the tongue is starting to kick in. As for dosing here is what I have done over last few times of working to get the buzz I wanted. I believe I have posted on the first time I tried to work in garage while dosed and had to set down a couple of times due to a wave washing though my mind. I have since remembered I bought gummy molds when I bought the Magic Butter Machine back in 2019. The molds make a dose that is 20% less and 5 people including me who have tried that dose liked it, but I was looking for more of head buzz when using recreationally. So this weekend I did 1 and a half of the ones made in molds had nice mainly body buzz but not much head high like I get from my hash. I was antsy needed to be doing something (but for me that could be normal) took it at 1pm and lasted till some time while I slept for the night. The next day around same time of day I ate 2 of the molded chocolates and was pretty much stuck in my chair most of the day/night but still didn't quite get the effect I was looking for was more of a lack of energy or feeling of being TOTALLY relaxed, just sat and watched 14 Oak Island episodes since I missed last years airings.

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is a basic recipe. I use 1 gram for a two whole Graham cracker 'sammie'. I like the half PB and half Nutella but either work. You can make up extras. I read about someone who left one in foil in a backpack and it was even better when discovered months later. https://hightimes.com/edibles/how-make-firecrackers/

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          A friend made her gummies here, I still have all of her equipment. She used two different strains, RSO from the dispo. I slept better when I ate some, only once felt a head buzz. She ran out of the little bear molds then used some bigger ones - leaves. It has always taken me more with edibles, from the start of having a med card in 2016. Sucks. I really like Surp, the strawberry-mango indica version, but it's $25 a bottle, 100 mg, and I need to drink most or all of it in a day.

Poppa Just remembered, edibles made with an oil have faster GI adsorption. Discovered by accident, made an infused meatloaf. Onset was quicker than usual. Rendered bacon grease has become the winner in this race so far as what oils work best that I have tried.

Comment

Thanks folks while thinking about this I had not thought of buying a vaporizer. I will not be able to be near an open flame or even the burning end of a joint once on O2 full time. Reason I added burning end is from experience and since I would be curious if one of you said that I'll explain. In 2018 I had to have the first joint of right index finger fused. When I returned home after the surgery I was still quite groggy and felt like I could drift off to sleep and sleeping is when I need O2 currently. I hooked up short hose and cannula to my concentrator and kicked back in my Lazy Boy. A little while later I felt like a smoke, did not notice anything when lighting it but once lit when I wasn't drawing I seen a burst of flame from end of smoke and realized I was FUCKING UP. Up side is I got a small example of what could happen with O2 and open flame. Guess now I'll have to start researching vaporizers and asking for recommendations of those our members have tried. I do like the idea of a 10 year warranty on the Pax 3 @dphipps1020 mentioned.

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            If your main concern is not lung function/capacity but fire safety, then I defiantly would look into electric dry flower vaporizers. Closest thing to smoking you are going to find. Some of them you can get an adapter to use your oil in the vape.

• dphipps1020
            dphipps1020 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah the warranty was what really decided it for me. I also like it because it's not very bulky so you can pretty much carry it anywhere, and there's no glass tubes or pieces to break. They have an adapter for oil that you can buy but I don't use mine for that, I have a separate one specifically for my oil. I do like that I can pack it and sometimes have more than one good session with it too. It's worth looking into.

This site has some good options you can look at and compare, and pretty reasonable prices too.
            Top rated by thousands of customers. The only vaporizer store with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Free Shipping, Free Bonus Items & Full Warranty Coverage on all vaporizers.

Poppa, are you more about not wanting open flame nearby when you go to O2, or not wanting to affect your lungs by inhaling THC? Vaping oil or dry herb vaping is still vaping, no combustion but still possible coughing.

(20 years ago four of us were in my LR, I had a candle burning and was refilling a lighter with butane. All of a sudden a big flame shot up into the air, that was a trip. And a learning experience.)

Comment

If you want an open flame show, take an EMPTY ethanol bottle with the cap removed and touch a lighter to the top of the bottle. Keep your face clear of the top!

Comment

Well dipping my finger twice and rubbing under my tongue seems to have gotten me the desired head effects I was looking to get along with body buzz from eating a edible. So it's looks like adding some oil under my tongue to a piece or 2 of my chocolate may just get me what I want in a recreational high.

Comment

I use butter when I’m not smoking and it definitely gives me a head high before the body high kicks in. Tbh the initial rush I find it more intense than a joint sometimes.

Comment

I've been using edibles for my pain management for 5 years now. Started with simple tincture tincture extraction which evolved to adding a homemade condenser to recover the alcohol.
                I made the jump to an Etoh Pro to allow me to do some post processing. I can now produce top shelf extracts that I store in the freezer.
                From there, I use that to make my edibles as well as using a Huni-badger portable dab pen let's me medicate whenever I need fast relief.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would it be cheaper or easier to press the bud into extracts to be used as desired?

Ckbrew What would you do with this? Click image for larger version

Name:	THCaFront.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1,004.4 KB
ID:	536507Click image for larger version

Name:	THCaBack.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	536508 Other than sublingual can it be combined or cooked into a recipe

Comment

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It appears to be a decarbed extract in MCT oil. Could be used as sublingual dose or added to edibles. These products are not regulated like pharmaceuticals. I really have a problem with this kind of packaging. "1000mg THCa" on the bottle doesn't mean much with out knowing the total volume in the bottle, and drops are not standard size, so how many drops/ml? Does the average user have the knowledge to figure the calculations- not likely. Unless this information is somewhere on the bottle not shown in the pix, I would consider this a poor packaging and labeling for something being sold at retail to the public. Imo this type of labeling is deceitful. The concentration should be plainly stated as mg/ml, total volume contained in package, and a calibrated dropper or X drops/ml. This is a retail item that should have been lab tested. If they can state 1000mg in the bottle, the other information is readily available but purposely not stated. Don't know where this came from, but with out regulatory oversight, you have to put your faith in who made it to be telling you the truth- about concentration AND purity. "2 to 5 drops 2 to x times a day" is meaningless with out a stated concentration. I personally would trust myself over an unknown and unregulated stranger who is out to make a profit. So bottom line, you would have to do a dose titration yourself to determine your dose just as if you did not know the concentration in a home made formulation. I see this as a regulatory problem which puts the confidence of the end user in the realm of just trusting an unknown producer. I guess I'm just miffed by the fact that they paid for and have the information that should be on the label of a product that they are retailing, and that I can not get without paying big $$$. I studied and trained and worked for 45 years to make these type of calculations, and produce a product that is accurately labeled and correct. Not being accurate could easily kill someone when dealing with the different drug formulations I have produced in my career. It is like saying I will sell you fuel for you car for $10.00. Great, but how much fuel do I get if you will not tell me the $/gallon, or was it $/liter? Which raises the question how much fuel do I have and how far can I drive on it before running out? Sorry for the rant. It just gets me po'd when we are trying to get cannabis into the legal mainstream, then providers put out products that are poorly labeled, made and sold to the public. Buyer beware.

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dispensary purchase a couple of years ago. Because it's THCa I wondered if I could 'do something' with it to get the psychoactive effect. If it was decarbed why would it be THC-a? I asked last year on a reddit thread, got a shitty, pompous reply from someone making money from edibles.

• Ckbrew
                  Ckbrew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is the problem with the "legal industry" of cannabis. Due to the federal ban, all the legal states have a patchwork of regulations, and/or lack regs. Who knows what is really in it. The state where I live passed recreational use years ago but is just now getting into the reality of retail recreational sales. They are making headway in regulating guarantee of potency and purity, but at the same time have put restrictions on concentration and total amounts contained in a package. Then we have some "boutique" cannabis stores asking $600.00/oz. Idk if anyone pays that, but dam they got balls to be that proud of their cannabis.

This is the pyur thinner with carrier info on the back
                Click image for larger version

Name:	pyurFront.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	536511Click image for larger version

Name:	pYurBack.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	536512

Comment

If "under the tongue" is working for you but you don't like the "burn" of the alcohol, try just adding a little water to your tincture before taking it.

It's cool to watch the clear Tincture go cloudy as the water is added, reminds me of Absinthe! It also reduces the alcohol burning so you can hold it under your tongue longer and dilutes the taste a bit. This works even better for highly potent tinctures since they provide more THC for the same amount of alcohol. A little glass of milk afterwards sooths the throat and sends some milk fat down behind to help light the fire down below!

I worry about my lungs too so this (and dry flower vape) is my go to method and I feel the effects right quick.

Best wishes Poppa
                  My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                  I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                  Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X