Led vs hps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led vs hps

I have a 6 bucket rdwc setup with 2 600w hps lights. I have been satisfied with the results. Lately I’ve been contemplating switching to led lighting to ease up on the electric bill, and lower the temp in the room.
    Any recommendations on comparable leds?

What size is your grow space?

Comment

• Realdeal
      Realdeal commented
      Editing a comment
      My grow room is 5’x6’

Hey Realdeal
    It had been awhile since I started growing again and I chose Blurple LEDs. They were definitely cooler running and used less electricity but I recently upgraded to a quantum board 450 watt led light for a 4x4 grow tent. In the first week of flower so i
    am anxiously watching and hoping for increased yields.
    Good Luck with your grow!

Comment

I've never used HPS or the ilk but I've heard they can do funny things to UHF or VHF reception.
      Experience has shown me that my LED makes my TV antenna worthless at about 10'.
      My HLG 360 Elite doesn't mess with anything but the metal plates in my head.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

A pair of the P4-XML2 panels from Platinum LED would probably cover the space very well. They ain't cheap, but I love the results I get from mine. A lot of the other growers here rave about their Spider Farmer LEDs and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.
        Coconut Grove
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
        32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
        Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

A pair of 600w hps will generate approximately 2000 umole ppf output.
          Top-tier led's run at about 2.5 umole/watt, so 800 watts of top-tier will replace the 1300-1400 watts of hps.
          Most fixtures that use lm301 diodes will achieve this efficiency.

WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I have a Mars Hydro TS2000 in 1 meter square tent. A couple of those will light up 6 buckets. Sounds like gbauto has it figured out. Lots of nice leds available. Don't try to replace hps with anything blurple, you would be disappointed. Have a great grow !!
            Focus and relativity.

Comment

Can't go wrong with getting a good brand led. Hps may still produce best yields but I rather not deal with the heat. Plenty of good brands nowadays. HLG quantum boards, chilled led, spider farmer, can't believe I'm saying this but even mars hydro getting good. I even purchased a sp3000 from mars hydro and liking it. Not as bright as my DIY leds I build using pucks from chilled led.
              640 watt hlg quantum board
              320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
              300 watt mars hydro sp3000
              150 watt hlg quantum board
              100 watt spider farmer led x2
              organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
              Water only i don't check ph
              6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Shit my sp3000 seems to be more than enough for my 2x4 tent I’m on my second grow and finally got it up to 75% without hurting my plants. Maybe I just need a taller tent? I have a 6’

Comment

My 600w HPS/MH works dandy for me. I grow outside in the summer but in winter the heat from my light keeps my grow room, in an unheated garage in the great white north, at just the right temp. if I were to grow indoors in summer I might re-evaluate but for now I am more than happy.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X