Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CdnDreamer
    commented on 's reply
    It took me at least 8 hours just for the wet trim, per plant. Mine were about 8 ft tall. The fine trimming took forever. About 12-14 hours per plant. I had to break it up into two days, because I couldn't feel my fingers after 8 hours.

I didn't know about bud washing, so I skipped that step. Next year...more work! LOL...

• Rwise
    replied
    I got my first frost yesterday (on the hill top), hard freeze on its way, glad I took her down.

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    I got a nice rain, the ground is wet, the spring is running again and the pond has water in it.

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    commented on 's reply
    DeadlyFruit most I can do in one day, I do leave the sugar leaves and just take out the bigger stuff. Of course the more on a plant the longer it takes.
    soonboomer I thought about letting this last plant go until the frosts set in (what another week maybe 2?), but since it had not put on anything, I am glad I took it down, the rot inside would have spread fast and maybe lost some bud.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    soonboomer I’m so with you on trim fatigue. This is my last giant!

Good luck with the incoming weather.

• soonboomer
    commented on 's reply
    Supposed to get winds up to 55 mph in OKC tonight. Still a few branches to take off my last plant, but it's dark so I'll have to roll the dice on it surviving the gusts. If they make it, I'm going to let them ride it out until the first freeze. (just to see if I can get some colors and ripened to the max). Trim-fatigue has set in.

EDIT....DF, 've been trimming all day, pretty much every day for almost two weeks. I've never harvested one even close to 13 feet, but it takes me a couple of days to do a 4 footer. I'd say you're doing fine.
    Last edited by soonboomer; 10-27-2021, 07:35 PM.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    I like your approach and have often thought of doing a whole tree hang to see how it worked. One question, how much time does the trim part of the process take? I think you said you cut in one go, hang for 3-5 days, then trim and jar before burping for 21 days. I am really curious to find out if I am just slow at trimming or if everyone else is as well. If corporate growers who hand trim took as long as I do to process a plant I think they would go out of business! I think one way I am slow is I try to trim away all of the sugar leaf tips and where possible cut out the leaf entirely whereas I often see pics of people jarring leafier bud - maybe I have to learn how to not be so retentive.

• Rwise
    replied
    I cut them off at the ground, or below the lowest limb and hang them upside-down, hard part is getting them through the door. They'll hang there 3-5 days then limbs come off and into cardboard boxes to stabilize and slow the dry. Then trim and jar, burp for 21 days, then to cure for xxx time.

Leave a comment:

• DeadlyFruit
    replied
    How long does it take everyone to harvest a tree? I swear I am the slowest harvester out there - anyone else? My 13 footer took me about a week of pretty serious time to get it down - hack off a branch (the lowest ones around 4 or 5 feet long), rough trim, wash, dry, fine trim and jar. I’ve been reading about people harvesting a plant in a day and I have no idea how. Maybe a small auto but anything else takes me multiple days. Just curious if I am an outlier or if everyone else takes that much time?

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    I took her down yesterday, before the rain got here this morning. I now know why she was not filling out as she should, rot inside the trunk. I cut that all out and off to the burn pile.
    Ckbrew @Darkart1
    A meteorologist friend called me from the left coast and said "Richard go to your hidy hole this storm is strong" I laughed and said watch what it does, it will do one of these things,
    1 as it gets near me it will fall apart and reform after it passes me,
    2 it will go either north or south of me then spread back,
    3 it will split and both parts go around me then form back together as it moves on.
    It did #3 and he called me and wanted to know where I got my info. I told him I just watch the radar to see how things are moving, but storms cant come here because of a voodoo spell.
    I have broken part of it. And before this spell I did not believe in voodoo either. Long story,

Leave a comment:

• Ckbrew
    commented on 's reply
    So many activities where people find themselves turning into meteorologists.

• Rwise
    replied
    Well I did not do it yet, the rain went east of me (as I thought it would), so we have a few more days to the next maybe rain. I'll be watching the radar,

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    I may just harvest today, looks like rain coming in and no new growth for at least a week. I think I'll take a break from growing this winter, prep the soil for next year and start selecting what to grow. From this year I will be using more bananas and ash from the get go, the bananas really picked up flowering. Also more trees in the background will be coming down to help keep bugs at a distance.
    Pic 2 is leftovers from a bore worm, you can see just what happened, at least I am not at this time fighting budrot!

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    Yes reminds me of how my late Italian Auntie bent over her sewing machine for hrs. She had a hump and could hardly lift her head up to look at you. So yes take them breaks and stretch and go get a bowl trimmer if you want no shame at all in that. I only make butter and do kief balls. I sit and roll golden kief in a plactic wrap hold it for hrs watching tv until it becomes a small marble. Yes it's slow but my hands do all my work.

• DeadlyFruit
    commented on 's reply
    SoOrbudgal I am so leaning toward more manageable plants. I am happy to have a large harvest of course but everything about the large plants is more work. I remember talking to you about huge stinky plants for this grow… I have been there, bought the t-shirt and moved past! Small plants with moderately low smell is the next harvest! 🙂

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X