Do you weigh your harvest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you weigh your harvest?

Do you guys weigh your final harvests? Is that something that the more experienced growers eventually stop doing? Something only new growers do?

And, if/when you do weigh your yields, at what time do you weigh? I’m waiting until my first harvest has been curing for 8 weeks in 62% Boveda before I weigh them, to get a fair and consistent moisture level. I’m curious how you guys do it?

Hi Rik ; On my 1st.harvest I weighed.it.before I jarred them. Then I weighed.again after 4 weeks curing,.just to get an Idea. And just like.everyone says, A quart jar 80% full.gave me an ounce (I had 4 oz) And it lost very little weight, as mine were 60% rh when I jarred it. YMMV

Comment

I have been growing since the early 70's, the only time I pulled out scales was if someone had money and I wanted it. Like the first purple plants I ever saw/grew, gave me a headache, which made it hard to turn down that $200 an Oz being offered. He told his friends it was blue Hi. LOL

Comment

Not anymore I don't see the need for.... The only time I weighed is when I do my hash beside that nope.
        Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
        Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
        Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
        Full auto grow
        Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
        12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

As a legal grower I have state imposed limits on number of plants growing and quantity of processed cannabis on hand. I have been incarcerated, did not care for it. So I weigh as I jar putting around 32 to 33 grams per jar and loose a gram or 2 during the curing process. I then have the knowledge as to the quantity I'm over so it can be removed from my home to keep me legal. Last falls harvest I had more than 3 times my legal limit so everyone I know of legal age who smokes got some for Christmas.

Comment

I always weigh mine and for no reason other than to compare the yield to what my buddy gets as we veg together under same light then we spilt and he takes 4 plants home and I keep 4. He flowers under a HLG 550 and I flower under a Optic Slim 600. Both lights are mine but tbh he has consistently had a bigger weight by a substantial amt. so that's the main reason other than the curiosity of it all.. Neither of us smoke as well and both growing for our wives as a hobby.
            Also we both wait similar to you until after the buds all stabilize in cure with Boveda for a week or 2.
            I do have a grow journal that I keep track of each grow in terms of critical dates and times, issues and of course the dry weight is recorded on each grow in the journal. I also have electronic files with various pics of each grow as well.
            Last edited by Drekthar; 04-18-2021, 08:12 AM.
            3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
            New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
            Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
            5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

I weight everything because I sell it. I wait until dry, trimmed and curing to weight before making 50 usd bags with 10 or 12 grams depending on the strain. I weight the larf before selling it to an oil maker 75 uds for 30 grams

Comment

• Farmbuck
                Farmbuck commented
                Editing a comment
                I agreed with you 9fingerleafs the Mala hierba is dry & brown totally schwag !! No wonder it's cheap.

• desertdan
                desertdan commented
                Editing a comment
                The last couple trips to baja bought some good stuff where we launch the boats north of Cabo.

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. That’s north. All the good stuff goes thru there before going into the us

Like Poppa I weigh to stay legal.
              2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
              2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
              2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
              2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

No don't usually weigh mine - 3/4 full Mason jar is about 25 grams - so I go by that.
                ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                Mars Hydro
                Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep i do like Canuck147 at least for me i go by the amount in the jars, jars show me how much i harvested. Things are getting low again come on autos LOL hey Canuck i'm gonna take a photo of my auto tent it's pretty pathetic LOL sitting out on a porch. No heat except for the LEDS running 20-4.

• Canuck147
                  Canuck147 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  okay
                  Here's another reason I don't weigh - so my wife doesn't know exactly how much I'm burning.

the flowers get weighed because they are used for barter. I don't ever pay for coffee at Starbucks for example.

Comment

I always weigh, for curiosity and to see how my abilities are progressing and the success of different techniques. I weigh between drying and jarring, noting amount for each plant and amount of trim. Doing this helps me decide which strains work better in different circumstances. I’ve always wondered how other people weigh given some people cite numbers that seem way beyond what seems normal - I’ve often thought they must be weighing fresh harvest and including trim but maybe I’m being unkind.

I hadn't even thought about keeping the total amount stored in the house below a certain amount, great point! I strongly doubt anybody would ever enforce a law like that in Ontario unless I was selling, but being completely ignorant of what that max amount might be I just did a search and I don’t think Ontario has a hard maximum - it looks like it is more about how much can be in a single package. I think I can have 4 plants per household but as much stored as I want, as long as it is stored in a certain way. There were a number of other rules I’d never heard of related to things like how much can be in a given edible and extract products not being appealing to kids etc...how would I ever know exactly how much thc was in a serving of a homemade edible??? The weirdest rule of them all was that any starting material had to originate from an authorized retailer.... what is considered starting material (just seeds? coco?...water?... my cloth pots?) and how would they ever be able to tell? Talk about unenforceable laws.

Comment

• Poppa
                  Poppa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe the starting material they are talking about is pertaining to when making medibles for sale.

• DeadlyFruit
                  DeadlyFruit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Poppa Your comment makes more sense, but whoever wrote the webpage content (it’s an Ontario gov website) put the bullet in the section on growing not the section on edibles. If I had to guess based on info in other places I think it is an effort to control where people get seeds. The last time I checked the Ontario cannabis store for seeds they had... wait for it.... two strains to pick from... no chance they will shut down seed sellers with only that as an alternative. The more I look at the rules the more I think they are worded too loosely. I still can’t find a limit on how much I can possess in a private residence, just that I can’t have more than 30g in public.

No, not anymore. Because it pisses me off when I don't get what I expect.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                  DeadlyFruit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That one made me belly laugh. I wanted to shout out - that’ll learn ‘em!! I have to admit there were a couple plants I would rather have just shuffled off to the side rather than weigh 🙂

Howdy Rik, I weigh miine as I jar it up for the curing just to keep track of whether or not the changes made during the grow were beneficial or not. I also weigh to keep track of my consumption and wheter or not that I will have some to share with a few of my close friends (or not! LOL!)
                Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I always weigh to be sure I get 10 grams of twenty dollar bills per ounce.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                    9fingerleafs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very gangsta

• Puglover1
                    Puglover1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or 4 grams of fifties?

I weigh to make sure to put enough away till next harvest. I smoke to much lol but when it only cost me 20 to 30 bucks an ounce to grow I don't care.
                  640 watt hlg quantum board
                  320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                  300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                  150 watt hlg quantum board
                  100 watt spider farmer led x2
                  organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                  Water only i don't check ph
                  6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X