Clarification About Cleaning Up Manifolded Plants - Help Me Nebula Haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification About Cleaning Up Manifolded Plants - Help Me Nebula Haze

I am confused about cleaning up my manifolded girls during the vegetative stage. I am using Nebula’s Manifold – Cannabis “Main- Lining” by Nebula Haze last updated 05/17/20. What I have noticed is that in many of the pictures of the plants in part 3.) Vegetative Stage Care, the stems for each of the 8 nodes have been stripped of fan leaves etc. at least 2 nodes from their ‘base’.

The caption below this picture is “Not long before the switch to flowering!”

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat-table-canopy-training-cannabis-dwc.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	491913

Right after this picture is: 4.) Switch to the flowering stage. Right after the first paragraph in this section the following picture and text appear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wait-until-half-final-size-cannabis-manifold.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	491914

Right before the switch to flowering, give your plant a minimal last cleanup by taking off the big fan leaves, especially in the middle and bottom of the plant. You also want to tuck or remove any really large fan leaves blocking bud sites. Be careful not to damage any growth tips at the base of each leaf.
    How many leaves to take off? When in doubt, take less leaves than you think you should since you can always come back later!

My confusion is that many of the pictures in section 3 have been cleaned up but my plants look more like the above. I also understand that those pictures could have been chosen to illustrate how a manifolded plant with 8 nodes look.

I am in week 12 of flower and plant to keep my plants in this stage for another 2 weeks. My plants look like the above as they have yet to be cleaned. About how many weeks or days before I initiate flowering should I clean up my girls and how many nodes up from the base should I remove growth. I have seen some that have removed the first 2 nodes and others that have removed the first 3 nodes.

Thank you in advance. The reason I asked for Nebula's help is that I think of her as the woman in the white lab coat who does research and conducts experiments to insure the validity of her statements.
    5' x 5' Gorilla Grow Tent (flower) AC Infinity Cloudline T8, Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Temperature and Humidity Controller
    3' x 3'Gorilla Grow Tent (veg) AC Infinity Cloudline S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller

Two 2' T-5 fixtures with 4 tubes each for veg
    Two Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED grow lights for flower

Water only / Super soil from KIS Organics

Current favorites: Aurora Indica, Nebula CBD, Northern Light, Pure Power Plant

To answer your defoliation question, you can clean them up all throughout your grow. I have some right now I'm working on a manifold and they have very few of the older fan leaves on them. I also have some in flower that pretty much only have a few fan leaves on the top. I'll be making a post in a little while with pictures of everything so you can see what I mean. I also know that some people leave most of them on all the way through and only remove as needed. It's really personal preference and what you want your plant to look like.

When I remove any leaves I like to first make sure there's a decent sized node started, and I will leave the leaf if not. I like to start about halfway up the plant and remove the fan leaves under that. That way you still have a few leaves at the top to collect the light and draw up the nutrients. As she gets further into flower I remove them a little higher up, wherever there's a good sized bud growing. By the last few weeks I don't have many of the original fan leaves left so they basically look like all buds with a few leaves here and there. That's just how I have been doing it. I'm trying something different this time for veg so I am hoping to at least double my yields. You just have to find what works for you.

Here's a picture of some I just cut down to give you an idea of how I do mine, manifold or not.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your insights dphipps1020.

I typically manifold all of my plants. Usually end up with 5-6 main tops as a base structure. I'm a bit limited on my headroom, so I will spread that base under the first trellis and flip.
    That's where you will get massive growth on the tertiary nodes-that's what will 'clog up' the middle of the plant.
    Because I'm using netting, I try to maneuver growth so that each square has a cola.
    You'll get the hang of it after watching how the plant is growing. I'm trying to redirect the plant's resources to the colas I want.
    Most of the strains I've run get flipped at 12" above the lid and usually end up at 36-40" above the lid.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Gbauto, I checked out your photographs. Those purps are monsters. Congratulations on them!

I do a variation of nebula's manifold I follow her tutorial except I don't separate the colas as much because I like to grow a sog and by not spreading them out i can keep the footprint smaller. Maybe a couple of pics of mine will help you see the defoliation. Also I don't know if you have read this tutorial from Nebula on defoliation during flower here's that link. I normally do a final defol the day before I switch to 12s for flower then a good one between weeks 3 and 4 of flower and continue to take leaves off until the end

The first 4 pics are about 5 days before I switch to flower I was forced to do it earlier this time because I was going into surgery the day before I was planning on switching. The next 2 are three weeks into flower and the final is the most recent about a week or so ago

by Nebula Haze Introduction to Bud-Based Defoliation What is cannabis defoliation, and why/how does removing leaves from a cannabis plant increase yields?
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice MeEasy. Your girls look great.

I noticed in the last photograph your BN Link power strip with a timer. I wish they made them with a power cable that was at least 6 feet long instead of 3 feet. Good job on covering up their power on and other light on the strip.

How do you like the Spider Farmer sf7000 light? Also do you use it in veg?

• MeEasy
      MeEasy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks O I just put the 7000 in about 2 weeks ago already being in flower the plants seem to react to the light change but I increased the power pretty slow to about 500w and I'm leaving it there for now they got a little sad at 525w I will use it for veg the dimmers make it easy even on my 2000s

Hi MeEasy,

Here is some verified advice that you probably have not heard regarding LEDs. I learned this on The Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast, Episode 73: Quality vs. Quantity: Common misconceptions about grow lighting with Bruce Bugbee.

Here is the best way I can explain it. By way of example, let's say that in veg you ran your lights 18 hours a day and in flower you run them 12 hours. What you want to do is not crank up your lights in veg more than about 2/3 of their capacity so that your plants will be getting the same amount of light in flower. Think of it this way. Let's say those lights put out 10 units of light an hour. That would be 180 units if they are on 18 hours during veg. If you had run them at full capacity during veg and you move to flower, those girls are only receiving 120 (12 x 10) units of light or 1/3 fewer units. Run them at 2/3 capacity during veg, then crank them up during the first week or two of flower so that your plants will receive the same number of units of light.
    5' x 5' Gorilla Grow Tent (flower) AC Infinity Cloudline T8, Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Temperature and Humidity Controller
    3' x 3'Gorilla Grow Tent (veg) AC Infinity Cloudline S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller

Two 2' T-5 fixtures with 4 tubes each for veg
    Two Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED grow lights for flower

Water only / Super soil from KIS Organics

Current favorites: Aurora Indica, Nebula CBD, Northern Light, Pure Power Plant

Comment

• MeEasy
      MeEasy commented
      Editing a comment
      It's called DLI plants can only process i believe it is 40-60mol of light/ day that's depending on other conditions and I wouldn't suggest 60mol without additional co2. The math is PPFD x (3600 x photoperiod) / 1,000,000 = DLI I had to go to my notes to get this so I could have explained it wrong. I barely understand it so to explain it is impossible I have my notes so I have figured out my numbers the best I can without having a par meter. It gives me a ballpark to start from and why I'm using a 10 on 14 off light schedule

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting MeEasy. I really think you would enjoy and listening to The Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast especially Episode 73, referenced and linked above. The host Tad Hussy has some great guests who are highly rated in their field. What I appreciate is that I hear the real science behind what we are doing, namely growing Cannabis.

One of my problems is that I really enjoying trying new varieties and methods. We are allowed 6/12 plants per patient where I live, 6 in veg and 6 in flower. I only grow photos for now with 2 grows back to back. About 8 weeks before harvest of my first grow in my growing year which starts in the Fall, I start my second grow as I am lucky enough to have the space and two grow tents. The point being I typically grow 12 different varieties in a grow year. I separate them into short and long flower periods. My life would be much easier if I grew fewer varieties which I have read is the correct term. I think fungi have strains but not plants.

Anyway nice to hear from individuals like you in the forum who delve into the science behind our grows.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X