Recommended strains for outdoor grow in MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended strains for outdoor grow in MN

Could you recommend some strains for an outdoor grow? I live in Minnesota USA and our climate is pretty extreme. I'm also very new to growing. I'm in the midst of my first indoor grow. Our Last freeze is around May 5 and first freeze around Sept 28. Summers can get quite hot, averaging 85 for a high in July. I'm not opposed to autos and I'm thinking thats my best choice with my limited growing season. Yeild isn't as important as bud quality, moderate to high thc and plant health. I know Northern Lights is probably a good choice but my wife doesn't care for it. I have used MSNL for my seeds and have had good luck and I like their customer service a lot.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Cheffy

I think your best option is autoflowers. I live in Colorado so I know how you feel with the short outdoor season. I want to try outside too but I haven't got the chance yet. Hopefully soon but mine will be autoflowers for sure.

Comment

I think you answered your own question about growing autoflower strains. A good choice and if you stagger the starting dates on your grows you can probably have a decent yield without putting all your eggs in one basket. Two good autoflower strains for unpredictable temperatures in my opinion would be Gelato and Royal Gorilla. Will you be in the ground or containers? Containers allows the option of bringing them in if weather extremes pose a problem. I think if I was in your position I would try 1 or 2 photos just to see how it goes.

Comment

I was talking to a friend a while back about growing and he lives in N Mo. and I found this article on it and saved it. Hopefully it gives you some direction

Although these regions experience shorter growing seasons, it's still possible to produce great results. Use this guide to ensure the best harvest possible.
        TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
        s silver haze... strawberry haze...
        .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
        TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
        2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
        TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
        3 gallon pots all autos
        Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
        👇my one n only journal👇
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Thank you for the help. I will be planting right into the dirt, no pots outside. We have a1400sqft garden on some of the best soil this planet has to offer. Most will be filled with veggies though🙂
          I think I'll go with the staggered auto plan and start a few photos in the tent and transplant them outdoors in May.

MeEasy- the article is a great reference, thank you. Saved to home screen!

crucialbunny - gelato is now on the list. Hopefully I'll be putting my order in today.

Comment

• MeEasy
            MeEasy commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure on the seed co you use but I've bought from graybeard a couple times they shipped same day and I've gotten them within a week both times.

I live in northern Vermont and i grow most any strain. Start seeds end of March or early April. grow indoors until around Memorial Day then in the ground outside. they grow fine until harvest in October. Auto flowers are for city dwellers and don't produce enough yield to bother with. Also, buds on autos don't compare to to buds on photos. I will bet that your climate and mine are similar. Go for the better option! full size plants!

Comment

I like a good jump on my outdoor grows. I always start indoors then move them outdoors. I run mostly indica and autos outdoors. I will choose photos over autos at this time any day. We have a 4month good window for growing then it starts to get iffy......rain, colder temps. I like to have at least a month veg. on my photos before i set them out. I did 3 grows of autos last summer, they are fun to grow start a seed every 3wks. All mine are in containers easy to move out of danger.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Im going witha mix of auto & photo. I'll start the photos indoors and hope for a late(r) freeze. Autos right into the dirt.
              THanks to all of you.

Comment

Hey Cheffy I ran across this while lookin for some strain info and thought it would be helpful to your search. Ilgm has some high prices so I don't buy from them but they have some good info over there. Anyways here's a link of their recommendations in colder climate

Outdoor strains for the Pacific Northwest, our outdoor cool seeds need less sunlight than other marijuana strains & can survive colder temperatures.
                TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
                s silver haze... strawberry haze...
                .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
                TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
                2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
                TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
                3 gallon pots all autos
                Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
                👇my one n only journal👇
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Hey! Any update?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Little late to that thread Cautious Here's some old grow info for ya..........check the date.

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. You might want to consider Blue Dream, Sour Diesel, and Amnesia Haze. These strains are known to be hearty and can tolerate cold temperatures. As for autos, they could be a good choice since they have a shorter growing cycle and can be harvested earlier, before the first frost. I'm not sure about the seeds, but you can also find many CBD-containing products here at cbdauthentica.com. Good luck!
                  Last edited by Shamshoo; 05-11-2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Blueberry takes low temps well, not sure how low...but I just put out some 2 ft girls with little roots and the temps hit 42 no sign of problems.. I did read at the Michigan Cannabis club there go to outdoor plant is blueberry..I will revisit this thread in the fall with feed back on blue berry...I am in the Northern part of Southern Ontario.The lakes can either help moderate the temps or make them much colder depending on the wind.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X