Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a Source Turbo for extractions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really digging my Source Turbo. There is a group on Facebook(if you partake) called the Extractcraft Users Group and there is some pretty good info floating around there. I bought my unit from Extractcraft but it was a refurbished unit so it was only $400 but it still came with a warranty so after taxes it was about $430. I just started attempting to make my own vape cartridges using the oil I extracted with the help of the Source Turbo!
    4x4x6.5 tent, (2) 18"x46" LED Strip Fixtures 440w?? 🙃 (2) Solacure UVB T8s, Infinity T6 fan, (4) 5gal DWC res.
    GH Trio, Calimagic, LKB, Armor Si, Sweet, Hydroguard, GH pH

First.Grow
    Second.Grow​​
    PC.Grow
    Grow.3
    4th.Grow
    I used to smoke pot. I still do, but I used to too.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      The used ones on epay are almost that, and its not over yet.

I made an offer we'll see, said 3 others had also.

Comment

I use the source Turbo to make RSO. Everclear + trimming and larf.
      3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
      New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
      Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
      5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

This article explains the process https://extractcrafter.com/2021/01/0...ete-breakdown/

Comment

pics of some of my oil i made with the unit.
          Attached Files
          3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
          New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
          Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
          5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

• Poppa
            Poppa commented
            Editing a comment
            Drekthar In your 2nd pic you have a bowl setting on the lid is that to keep a tight seal? A few years back I read all kinds of cannabis related information while being laid up for a few moths from surgery and it seems like I remember reading that it helps.

• Drekthar
            Drekthar commented
            Editing a comment
            Poppa Its a tray of ice which helps with the condensation needed to recapture the alcohol. The chamber is under vacuum so no weight required for that.

If you’re using the source you’re probably really want to step your game up and get off the Everclear I use CulinarySolvent. , you lose about 50ml- 80ml per run. 2-5 grams outa an oz.

Comment

• Cloud
            Cloud commented
            Editing a comment
            How is paying more for the same thing stepping up your game?

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            I think what was meant was you can get 200 proof instead of just 190, which could be a bit better.

I don't know what a Source Turbo is, but for $600.00 you could cobble together a real lab still on flea-bay and be a lot more versatile. Click image for larger version

Name:	STILL.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	479187
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG that's so cool looking.

• thefunkdrspot
            thefunkdrspot commented
            Editing a comment
            What are the major components needed for a setup like that? What should i be typing in the ebay search lol

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Start with ground glass distillation kit. Then chemistry support stands & clamps, heating mantle, glass additions- buchner funnel. flasks, kitchen strainers, filter paper, vinyl tubing, mighty vac pump for vacuum. on fleabay search "Deschem".

I got $60 off on one from epay, question, can the sellers see you looking at others items? Reason, the sellers offer was made while I was looking at the others on epay tonight, my offer had expired.

Comment

IF it had not get stuck in Texas I would have it now, waiting for it to come in Monday by 9PM. I have one of these on the way to do the first part with as I think I will get a cleaner product.
            Mr Distiller Small Moonshine Still   Mr Distiller Small Moonshine Still is the fast and simple way to make your favorite spirits and liqueurs at a fraction of the cost. Finally...a still to take it's place amongst everyday kitchen appliances! It looks like a kettle and works like a kettle - but it makes

I can also use it to make my own solvent, or some fine Blackberry brandy.

Comment

I am running my first batch of shake and make (5 minute wash), unit ran 2 hours and kicked off on the safety circuit, restarted and finishing now. They say watch it close the last few minutes, but they dont say how long it takes to get there.
              IF the still gets here on time (the 13th) I think I'll run 2 batches of brandy then start on some bud.

Also heres a negative for buying on fleapay (or amazon), there is no warranty or support from the MFG, if it fails toss it in the trash. With this attitude I wont be buying any of this brand again.

Comment

• gbauto
                gbauto commented
                Editing a comment
                When I run a batch of oil in the etoh, I'll let it recover almost all of the alcohol until it's almost a syrup and then transfer that to a silicone cake pan for vacuum purging.
                I find that I'd rather sacrifice a small amount of ethanol to help with removal from the crucible.

First run, shake and make with a QT of GG4, decarbed and frozen, 190 also frozen (ok cold), pour half (filtered) into the unit, very little from it. I kinda expected that being only a 5 minute wash. The GG4 was put back in the freezer, and when I went to run it, well, I did not expect this, the bud melted when I shook it. The GG4 was covered with the reclaimed 190, and returned to the freezer, I consider the first runs as the first run on the bud, and whats still in the jar to be the second run (I'll get to it in a bit). It also is darker than I expected, first batch was thicker than the second, I licked the spatula and got high so hoping to get more of it from these buds.
              The still moved to the 14th for delivery

gbauto Tell me more of the vacuum purging as this is a vacuum system. Does your system use heat or just vacuum?

Comment

• quirk
                quirk commented
                Editing a comment
                A Buchner funnel hooked up to the Source vacuum port make for very clean filtration.

• gbauto
                gbauto commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, a Buchner funnel along with the vacuum pump on your Source will work.
                I use a 90mm glass pore plate funnel with -4 and -6 Whatman qualitative filter paper.
                I also do two washes.
                My chest freezer will get everything down to -30degF, so I do an hour wash on the first pass, do a rough filter with a strainer cap on the 1/2 gallon Ball jar, and a 40-micron stainless coffee filter. Back in the freezer for a day to winterize the fats and waxes, and then a 20-micron filter pass followed by a 2-micron filter pass through the Buchner. Then it's into the EtOH to recover the alcohol.
                After it has recovered almost all of the alcohol in the tincture, I pour that into a silicone cake pan and put that on a heating mat(100degF)-my etoh allows me to do this in the recovery kettle. I cover that with some cheesecloth. Usually takes overnight to evaporate the rest of the alcohol and results in a layer of oil in the pan. I then use a vacuum lid on the kettle and pull a partial vacuum to get the oil to 'muffin'-that's the residual solvent boiling out of the oil. I normally purge for a day.
                The first run is what I use for dabs-very clean and tasty.
                I do a 3-hour second run for my edibles.
                I'm not as concerned about stripping chlorophyll with edibles, so I find that longer washes improve yield as long as you can keep it frozen.

After using this for 1 day, I can give them a number of improvements to it. First I would add LEDs for each mode so one can tell at a glance what it is doing. Second an adjustable time out for the end of cycle. Third a way to control the heat in the end game as it gets to hot!
              I think I will wash this again and see if I get more from it, the second wash made as much as the first, how much more can I get? I stopped this batch sooner with it still more like honey, it was amber in the pot but looks black in the container.

Comment

• Cloud
                Cloud commented
                Editing a comment
                I do three washes. After the 2nd you get a lot less oil. I use the third wash for edibles. As far as yield wise you get out what you put in. Check out extractcraft Facebook tons of info and people willing to teach.

Another update, I contacted the epay seller and they say they are a dealer and offer 30 days themselves.
              You do loose a bit of solvent each batch, that was expected.
              Still cant get honey coloured even if I stop it a bit early when it is still clear/yellow by the time hit hits the container its near black.
              Would excess water in the batch cause it to boil over in the last 20-30 minutes? I have 1 batch that does this, I left it out for a while and it has no alcohol smell to it yet it is still thin.
              I dont notice the smell of alcohol in the air until I go outside and come back in, then its strong!

Comment

• Cloud
                Cloud commented
                Editing a comment
                Color is based off trichomes and contamination. Amber trichomes produce way darker oil. Also chlorophyll and fats and waxes make it darker but mostly chlorophyll. Need at least -15 alcohol and material and short soaks to minimize it. Oil is always gonna darken once concentrated. Almost every strain I do comes out different colors and dries differently. Sometimes it shatters up nice other times always stays a little waxy. Seedling heat mat works perfect for the drying process and I cover with cheese cloth and blow a fan on it lightly. Takes awhile for alcohol to purge but always gonna be a miniscule amount you can't get out.

• Cloud
                Cloud commented
                Editing a comment
                Also color doesn't always matter. I've had super dark oil hit as smooth as clearer oil I made.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X