Are my trimmings still good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my trimmings still good?

First time grower with a question on my trimmings from my harvest. I had a successful harvest, trimmed my plants, and hung the buds to dry. I had 2 plants and because I did not harvest at the same time I just bagged all the trim from each harvest and froze. Can I use this trim for making butter and if so does it need to be cured first or can I just bake it to decarb and then continue the process? As this was my first harvest I'm not sure but I would like to try to use it for something. Thank you for any and all input!

You need buds to make butter. You can make bubble hash with your trim

Comment

all trimming id good I save mine for making hash/oil/wax ,even fan leaf's can be sautéed in butter for 20 minutes or so and they will get you high
      I'm not sure if pot will survive the freezer kinda like spinach it might just turn to mush
      its all about how much your willing to do to use it
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

You can definitely use it but like oldjarhead100 said, it may turn out like mush. I've never made butter but I use my trim for everything else and save my buds to smoke.

Comment

When folks make a tincture it is frozen for a week or so and the leaves dont melt.

Comment

I save my really sugared leaf and small buds i freeze them till i get a good amount to make butter. That's what i've made butter. Decarb in oven then follow recipe
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              SoOrbudgal, do you freeze them on a cookie sheet then bag them? Or dry them then freeze? No cure?

They don’t need to be cured for making edibles but you do need to decarb them. Curing might affect the taste of the butter just like curing affects the taste for smoking. It won’t be terrible tasting but maybe just a bit “green” tasting.

I don’t use any fan leaves for edibles because i usually have a bunch of larf and sugar leaves to use.
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

i generally dry my trim and popcorn and then use to make RSO.
              3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
              New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
              Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
              5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

Puglover1 i just toss it all in a freezer bag it's a mushy pile. I put it on a cookie sheet low oven 200f as it thaws and dries i stir it around break it up till it's dry no moistier. I've done it with fresh too small pieces on the cookies sheet. I'm a julia childs cook so it's strong LOL
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I've made butter with trim plenty of times. I've also made tinctures with it using grain alcohol. Sometimes, I would roll it into joints but these days, I prefer to make bubble hash with all of my trim. Make the most of the plant.

Comment

• gman420
                    gman420 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is there a special method you use to make your tinctures? Obviously I have never done it before so I looked real quick on GWE and seen a couple different methods (Green Dragon / Ed Rosenthal). From a quick review it seems that the Green Dragon seems to be a little more safe and easy to do. I can purchase Everclear in different proofs from the liquor store here in PA.

• ChadWestport
                    ChadWestport commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gman420 I had the best results with Grain Alcohol, essentially ever clear. I ground the weed and soaked it for a month. I've tried with glycerin but it was hard getting any sort of potency with it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X