Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any reccomendation for my first LED choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have any reccomendation for my first LED choice?

I use MH and HPS system for my tent with soil medium. I started to read a lot about LED types and brands. I wonder your experiences about types and brands. I dont have a big budget and Im not looking for superstar of leds. My first focus is less energy consume and of course like everyone wants efficence for yields.

Just a recommendation, I use their Pro series, two of them the P1500 and the P2000 from ViparSpectra.

Discover ViparSpectra online store. Buy high quality LED grow lights, grow tents and grow tools. Free shipping. Fast delivery. Best customer service.
    Last edited by Farmbuck; 12-11-2020, 04:42 PM.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Check out LEDgardener.com. A huge wealth of info for all things LED.
      (ps: while you’re there use their search for the term “SpARF” and you can find my build guide for DIY lights 😉)

Cheers
      YYC
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• vincenoir
        vincenoir commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for the sources

• RetiredGuy
        RetiredGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey YYC,

Cold rainy day here and I just spent time looking at the light you built. I’m impressed, especially with the size of the buds produced!

Are you adding CO2?

Do you attribute your success to light quantity (PPFD) or quality (spectrum)?

I am not mechanically inclined (took 4 hrs yesterday to build a wood rack for two fluorescent fixtures), so will be purchasing a new light soon.

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        @RetiredGuy...no CO2 added.
        I’m only running 600 watts (20 LED strips at 30 watts each). I think the results i have gotten is more due to the PPFD than it is spectrum. Spectrum can be directly associated to whether a plant’s cellular growth is restricted (ie short and fat) or enhanced (ie stretched and skinny). I believe that while old timer growers used low Kelvin lights during flower to create tightly packed buds, they may have been doing it for the wrong reasons....as in, tightly packed buds were easier to package, transport, and sell to the illicit market (at one time, drug crime convictions were based off the weight/volume of the illicit drug. This is why acid blotters were sold on small tabs of paper, so as to reduce the sentencing when convicted of drug dealing/possession). While small tight buds are great for bags, I believe that larger, airy buds provide more THC and THCa bang-for-your-buck since the individual calyxi are allowed to swell with more THCa and, subsequently, express more THC trichs on the outside surface. Using both 5000K and 3200K helps to maintain a balance between light stretching and light restriction (in terms of cellular growth).

With all that said, the larger buds I seem to get are mostly due to allowing the plant to have both high K and low K light spectrum from veg through to harvest. I had planned on adding UV to my spectrum for the final weeks of flower, but I haven’t found enough research that validates adding UV to gain a minimal amount of trichs is worth the extra cost of the hardware. If i was going to gain 30% more potency, i would do it. But that is an unreasonable expectation vs reality.

Also as a side-note...i am only growing 3 or 4 plants at a time so it’s easy for me to do daily pH and ppm checks on my DWC pails. Also, I have no hesitation to mix new nutes every 4 or 5 days to make sure that the roots don’t cause nute imbalance as the plant uptakes different nutrients throughout its growth.

And one more thing....the whole sunrise/sunset light simulation is a farce. Cannabis plants do not need to “slowly wake up” or be “gently put to bed”. 👍

It really depends upon the size of the area you are trying to light and then it would depend upon budget. Being bargain minded, you can look at lights from Mars Hydro, Viparspectra and Spider Farmer. They all offer lights that are used with success by many, many people. I personally have a couple of the Spider Farmer 1000 lights. If your goal is to light a 2x2 tent, that model is perfect for it.

For lighting, I use the tools and information here - https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/

Comment

• vincenoir
        vincenoir commented
        Editing a comment
        great guide thank you

• ChadWestport
        ChadWestport commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheers man. Best of luck to you on your adventure

Originally posted by Farmbuck View Post
      Just a recommendation, I use their Pro series, two of them the P1500 and the P2000 from ViparSpectra.

https://www.viparspectra.com/
      Those look great, thanks for recommending

Comment

Originally posted by YYCannabis View Post
        Check out LEDgardener.com. A huge wealth of info for all things LED.
        (ps: while you’re there use their search for the term “SpARF” and you can find my build guide for DIY lights 😉)

Cheers
        YYC
        Maybe I'm missing something but searching "SpARF" on their site isn't bringing up any results. Could you link your guide if you see this and have a second? DIY lights seem like a great call if done well

Comment

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey YY I checked out the light build...cool stuff...is there guidance on how to attach the led's and drivers? I didn't see anything through this Chocolate Harley haze that I'm lookin' through right at the minute. But I might have missed it.

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey @golfnrl... It’s non-trivial stuff to do the connections. Each LED strip has a small wire connector that you simply stick the end of the wire into. The other end of the wire is simply connected to a power supply by wire nuts or any other means of doing electrical connections.

I have also had god experience with ViparSpectra. I use an R900 model. Other than that all I can say is be careful what you buy. There are a shitload of manufacturers who do not have safety certification. most of them either fake the certification or use "self" certifications. The "CE" certification is one of these. It is not recognized by any government as safe.
        Personally I believe if you are going to have an electrical light panel running a minimum of 18 hours a day, it should be safety tested and certified by recognized third party testing facilities such as ETL(Europe), UL(USA) or CSA (Canada).
        I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

How large is the space you're working with?
          If I wasn't keen on building my own fixture, the fixtures from Mars, Spider Farmer, and the like that use Samsung lm301b(or h) diodes are the cheapest 'best' solution.
          Will economy lights grow the dank? Of course, but you sacrifice some build quality to get the low price.
          30 watts/ sq ft of canopy using top-tier diodes will grow trees.
          50 watts/ sq ft of old tech blue/red diode 'blurple' fixtures.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I liked the first Mars Hydro enuf I just picked up a second (tsw 2000), decent light for the price. Do your research and buy all (the best) you can afford.

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              There is so much out there, no way I can do a side by side of them, what I can say is I see no one complaining about the MH, or the SF or several others in the lower price range.

• RetiredGuy
              RetiredGuy commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe the new Mars Hydro Sp3000 has Samsung diodes.
              Last edited by RetiredGuy; 12-18-2020, 10:15 AM.

• Dieselgrower
              Dieselgrower commented
              Editing a comment
              my ts3000 has samsung diodes and adjustable meanwells. plants love it in my 4x4

hlg quantum boards arethe bomb....
            3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
            New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
            Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
            5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

The site mentioned above by Chad is excellent. I have my eye on the new Mars Hydro Sp-3000 for my 2x4 space.

The uniformity of the PPFD map is the best I have seen.
              Last edited by RetiredGuy; 12-18-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

YYCannabis Thanks for the great response to my question above!

Comment

LedGrowLightsDepot on YouTube has some amazing reviews and comparisons for LEDs. I love my HLG r-spec quantum boards. I average 2 grams per watt in a 4x4 tent.
                  Rawtton by Ethos Journal

Comment

• RetiredGuy
                    RetiredGuy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Impressive! My first grow was about .3g/watt, I have a lot of room for improvement!

• SommerVirelli
                    SommerVirelli commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Before LEDs, I was getting maybe .7g per watt. A good led will pay for itself 🙂

I recently bought a couple = MAXSISUN High Performance PB4000 LED Grow Lights 5x5 coverage for veg, and 4x4 coverage for flower . The cost on these went up $100.00 in the last couple weeks. I was going to buy a couple more. I asked Maxxsisun why the cost increase. They stated that Covid has caused a shortage of workers showing up and it has effected deliveries to them on parts . The same issue has impacted many companies. Dont try to get your washing machine or dryer fixed. Could take 6 months to get the parts. Anyways, I do like the lights and would recommend them .
                  Waiting for the cost to drop to get a couple more. I still use MH and HPS in conjunction with my LED's until I can get a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredGuy View Post
                    The site mentioned above by Chad is excellent. I have my eye on the new Mars Hydro Sp-2000 for my 2x4 space.

The uniformity of the PPFD map is the best I have seen.
                    Awesome I'm glad it could help. I know I have relied on the info there. I'm pretty sure that the light you mention is loaded into the grow light calculator under the drop down menu of already tested lights. Just in case you didn't see that part already

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X