Trichome color, maturity and potency!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trichome color, maturity and potency!

This is a much talked about topic and everyone has their own beliefs, likes or dislikes.
    I have been reading up on it but wanted to know your thoughts.

What % of resin gland color and translucency shows full maturity and highest potency?
    This is based on 2 parameters.

Amber vs Clear and Opaque vs Translucent. So 2 x 100%

If you don't see your choice here pick the closest to your ideal.

I will post some of my findings from online sources when the poll closes.
    40% amber - 60% clear - 20% opaque, 80 % translucent.
    61.54%
    80% amber - 20% clear - 60% opaque, 40 % translucent.
    30.77%
    60% amber - 40% clear - 40% opaque, 60 % translucent.
    7.69%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JohnEmad; 12-09-2020, 06:33 PM. Reason: percentages explained in more detail

I tend to run the plant until I don't see any more clear trics, give them ph'd water for a week or two for a good fade and chop.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      Your method is about what I do most of the time although I have chopped much earlier and much later as well.

All the voting is for couch-locks, milky is the highest THC.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I have read and heard the most concerning the subject.
      I will post again about this subject from both experts and scientific study.
      Me I find mostly milky to be a bit racy but as for highest THC I am not sure.

I can’t pic one of the options. IMO the greatest thc is when all the trichomes are white/milky looking. If I’m going for potency I shoot for 80-90% milky. Soon as they’re mostly white I flush and try to get them in the dark with very few amber tri’s and no clear ones

Comment

Howdy JohnEmad, I prefer the majority cloudy and 15% to 20% amber, but in the survey the totals of the percentages should not be over 100%. Thanks for the survey, I'm always interested in other's likes and dislikes.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        I suggest you vote and I will post some findings to better explain the apparent mistake in percentages when the poll is over.

total cloudy 30% amber or more what we like " we our home "
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I guess voting is against most posters beliefs...lol. it's just a poll.

Comment

am i the only one that doesn't understand the options?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            No your not JuanHondo i took it for personnel choice.

the options are based on 2 different things.
          Amber vs Clear and Opaque vs Translucent
          Hope that clears up the math

Comment

Is translucent the same as clear?
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              basically translucent is similar to clear as far as I understand it.
              I didn't set this poll up very well and didn't make it explain myself very well I suppose.
              Sorry for any confusion it caused. I borrowed the percentages from a study about resin glands.

• grouchyoldman
              grouchyoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi JohnEmad,

This is a worthwhile question, and a knowledgeable GWE crew to ask. That said, designing Polls is an artform, no apology needed.

My preference: 15% Amber, 75% Opaque, 10% Translucent. Or at least that's when, as BU2B says, "I just decide I'm Done Growin it!"

​​​​​​​Do you have a link to your "Study about resin glands?"

- Grouchy

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey grouchyoldman, I will post a link to the articles when the poll is done in a short while.

I chose the first option in the poll because it's closest to what I think I'm doing. I try to harvest when the trichs are close to what Grouchy described.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I always aim for 30% amber and 50% milky. Clear trichomes is not what I'm looking for. I'm too old now for the type of "racy high", I prefer at my age a body stone that numb the pain.
              Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
              Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
              Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
              Full auto grow
              Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
              12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

My methodology is to stage the harvest. As long as I have cloudy trichomes, I'll take my larf buds first. I am midway through my Mandarin Gelato, with the main four colas still chillin'. What I've collected so far has been outstanding. In a few days, once I get a little more amber (around 30%) I'll take the rest.

My Critical XXL and Golden Tiger X Panama are a little different. They're not presenting much in the way of trichomes. I'll probably rely on pistal curl-in and the number of days in flower. I will certainly heed advice I've received, about maybe waiting a little longer for my Sativa GTXP.
                A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• Farmbuck
                  Farmbuck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BR2K let me know for your Ace's Golden Tiger X Panama since I grew so many strains from Ace. Right now I have 4 Kali China in the "grow room" My third grow with them.

Thanks to all who stopped by to voice their opinion and/ or vote on this.
                I was surprised by the findings of a study published in Weed World in 2017. Found it on Frenchy Cannoli's web site.

https://frenchycannoli.com/s/WW125Di...RipenessP3.pdf

Peak Potency was found when the resin glands were between 60% amber and 40% opaque and 80% amber and 20% opaque.

Kudo's to all who got it.

I agree that we all rely on our own personal taste but found it interesting that much of the writings I have found on this subject had no real scientific data but went more on subjective experience.

Enjoy the article everyone.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
                  grouchyoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thx JohnEmad, that frenchy cannoli article was fascinating. No one has a greater stake, or more resources available, than the professional Cannabis industry,in resolving this most basic question regarding our harvest timing decision. This is a completely different way of looking at Trichomes, and they have some credible science behind it. Are we all harvesting too early? That's worth knowing.

• JohnEmad
                  JohnEmad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you enjoyed the read@grouchyoldman,
                  I found it very interesting and am currently trying to grow the most resinous, mature and potent flowers I can to make some quality hash or other concentrates.
                  I find the pot I harvest that's showing only a little amber and is mainly cloudy is a bit racey and makes me feel jittery with some strains.
                  The strains I let go to 20 to 30% amber or so are much more relaxing to me and can still be uplifting. Now to get that 60% amber.plateau. I have to get access to a tester it seems and insure the potency is there.

• Smallgrow
                  Smallgrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really good article, more science less BS.
                  Here are the first two articles in the series for those interested, above link was the third , Frenchy for the win !
                  All the articles on his website are excellent

I have 2 Purple Haze that are waiting to be harvested. Currently they’re about 90% milky 10% amber. I’ve always thought that THC peaked when all trichomes were milky then starts to fade and be more chill or CBD the more amber you allow as they mature. In the name of science, I’m going to put one in the closet before the lights come on at 5 and the other I’ll allow to mature until the amber tris are in the 50% range to hopefully hit 60% while in the dark 2 days. Once they dry I’ll test for THC with the high grade app and post results then I’ll check them again after they’ve cured a few weeks. Thanks for the post!

Comment

• JohnEmad
                  JohnEmad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I appreciate you doing this for the team and posting it on the forum. I am very interested as you could imagine.

• bboyfromwayback
                  bboyfromwayback commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too! Considering I grow for potency this will be a great test. I’ve always thought about trying to get more amber but never have for fear of being stuck with sleeper weed for a while. Since ordering seeds online last March I’ve increased my grows trying to sample them all that I’ve stockpiled enough I can afford to loose a plant or two for science 😂. Plus next round I have 2 Hindu Kush and 2 Bubba Kush going so I’ll do the same then to compare results 👍🏻

• grouchyoldman
                  grouchyoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I came to understand (and love) red wine when I experienced a late harvest Monterey Zinfandel. Ever since, I have thought the same concept should apply to late harvest cannabis! Never had a chance to test that till now.

So, I'm totally interested in your project bboyfromwayback, and I look forward to the results. I have a pampered White Widow in my room, nearly ready to harvest after nine weeks of flower, and I think I will follow your lead and let her go for awhile longer. Let the amber rise from those frosty mushrooms!

I've been using the dimmer on my lights to ramp the intensity down over the last week. We're down to 35% of the full intensity and I think the buds are thickening daily. The bud tops are still frosty white and the sugar leaves are already 50% amber. It's cold here so keeping the temp, RH & VPD optimal is easy. I'm not in any hurry.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

-Grouchy

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X