Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a 1000 watt bulb cost to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does a 1000 watt bulb cost to run?

Obviously it is different from state to state depending on the electricity cost. I live in Maine myself but how much does a 1000 watt bulb (and the rest of the setup) cost to run monthly?

Ive done outdoors for several years but considering doing indoors too. What do you run for lights and how much does it cost monthly to run your set up??

According to Professor Google.... a 1000w hps will cost $52.80 a month. No idea if that’s right but it’s what google thinks anyway.

Comment

Excellent answer Xena thanks for doing the research Man that's alot of money i did'nt know it cost that much. Go LED
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Xena
        Xena commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t really tracked my electric bill enough to say for sure, but I’ve been running a 150w 18 hours a day and if I was to guess I’d say I’m spending an extra $15 a month at least so I think 52 for a 1000 watter didn’t really sound that bad.

Consider what your rates are, first. I pay different rates at different times of day.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

Hi @Mainleycannabis420 I run two LED lights, a Quantum Board and a 1000w blurple, and 4 fans(including exhaust fans). My bill increased about $25

Comment

I think the math goes something like this:

1000 watts == 1 Kilowatt (KW)

1 KW used for an hour = 1 Kilowatt Hour (KWH)

1 KWH per hour over 12 hours = 12 KWH per day (Let's say your are in 12/12 flowering schedule)

12 KWH per day over 30 days = 360 KWH per month!

Your bill will show how much each KWH costs in your area. For example, in my neighborhood each KWH costs about $0.25 including all the separate fees.

So $0.25 times 360 KWH used in a month of 12/12 lighting is $0.25 times 360 = $90.

An HPS bulb will likely use the wattage on the label so 1000 watts actually means 1000 watts used so just plug in your local $ per KWH and you're done. For other wattage bulbs, begin by dividing their actual power draw in watts by 1000 to determine their KWH rating. So a 600 watt bulb = 600/1000 = 0.6 KW per hour.

Other light types actual power usage can be more complicated to determine. I use a bunch of big CFL bulbs that claim the provide 150 watts of light, but they only draw 40 watts from the outlet. So each of those puppies cost me $3.60 for a month of flowering. Not bad except I use a bunch of them sometimes which causes some "friction" with the saintly spouse.

Regards,

-Grouchy
          Last edited by grouchyoldman; 10-20-2020, 09:45 AM.
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
            FunkyButtLovin commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that rate is 2.5x mine, no wonder you're grouchy!

• Xena
            Xena commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost 2.5 times my rate too. Thanks to grouchy I did my math and it said I’m spending $8.34 a month.....a lot cheaper than I thought.

Found this calculator out of curiosity. Figure I'm spending 74 cents per day on electricity. Hmmm I'm smoking 10 cent joints.
          Focus and relativity.

Comment

it costs me about£10 aday that 6 600w hps 4 fans 7 ocillating fans and a dehumidifier mate

Comment

Mine cost me $0.06 per kwh, which equates to about $32.40 if I run my 1000w HPS for 18 hours or $21.60 when I'm flowering. 12/12

Comment

I have a power bill on 145€ Every Month 😂.
                with all electronics products in my tent. I’m running 1200W in the hour.
                and 145 euros in dollars is 171$ in a month 😂😂
                Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
                You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I have about 2.2-2.3kW worth of lights going, a portable A/C and fans and exhaust for 5 tents. All 5 are running with plants in different stages and I only pay about an extra $150/month. That said I should be harvesting about a pound (16oz) of weed every 5 weeks. I'm good with paying about $15-20/oz every month, totally worth it.

Comment

I’m in the Northeast and I pay $.11 per kwh but I also pay $.13 per kwh in delivery and service fees so the real cost is $.24 per kwh. By comparison my parents in the Midwest pay $.06 per kwh and $.07 per kwh in delivery and service fees bringing their total cost to $.13 per kwh. Always check your local rates and always check for the service and delivery fees they’re charging.
                    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
                    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
                    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

My 600 watt runs me about $30 a month 18 hours a day I live in MT
                      Vivosun 5x3 tent, AC Infinity T6 fan, Vivosun carbon filter,5 gallon fabric pots, coco-coir, 600watt Vivosun MH/HPS

Comment

• Mr.furley
                        Mr.furley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello neighbor!

• 420Cndee
                        420Cndee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello back to you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X