Soil, root, or predatory aphids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil, root, or predatory aphids

Friend grower found little white bugs on his soil. He's pretty excited, me too, that they might be predatory aphids - Hypoaspis miles - aka Stratiolaelaps scimitus.

As I look at images of soil and root aphids, they can look pretty damn well the same. I don't see any signs of damage to the plant and they are growing, vigorously. There is no funky smell that can come from some infested soils from bug farts and rot. None of his other plants have it. Environmental conditions are usually 80°, or more, and 70% humidity. Fox Farm soil. LED's. Tap water.

Unless something happens to the plants or we see a bunch of these aphids fighting for soil dominance, how's a body to tell which is which? No pictures. Friend grower isn't home for a photoshoot.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Bug ID is so hard, because as you said, they all look so similar. Even more so if you don't have good magnification. With Fox Farm I've gotten some good and some bad bugs. If your friend opens that bag of soil and inspects a little, does he see the same bugs in the bag?

Root aphids really aren't going to show their effects until it is too late. At first it will look like nutrient deficiencies, which you'll try to correct but nothing works. Then you realize its a root zone issue because the plants aren't properly absorbing nutrients.... which can lead to a variety of side issues but above all, stunted growth with not much hope of a better future. You can definitely finish it out, but sterilize and throw all of that soil far far away.

Comment

Root aphids always have two tailpipes coming out the butt. They also have large antenas. the tailpipes are easily visible.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X