Seed Storage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Storage Question

I'm wondering about storing seeds. My goal is for them to last as long as possible. At least 5 years. As I understand it, my choices are either 1) keep them in a jar with desiccant at room temperature or 2) store them in the fridge with desiccant. I realise that room temperature storage means the seeds will only be good for a couple years and this is not good since many seeds could go to waste, in which case the fridge would be a better option. My concern with keeping them in the fridge is that I don't have a fridge dedicated exclusively to seeds. The fridge would need to be our food fridge, which is opened numerous times throughout the day. Even with dessicant, I'm worried the temperature fluctuations might make the seeds go bad. What do you think? Buying a new fridge is not in the cards at the moment. If neither of these two work, maybe there are other options? Note: We do not open our freezer as often, maybe a few times a week.
    Last edited by MaxR; 09-13-2020, 06:40 PM.

I have my seeds in the food fridge, way in the back behind everything.
    ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

• MaxR
      MaxR commented
      Editing a comment
      How's that been working for you? How long would you say your seeds lasted?

May have been pure luck, but two seasons ago I planted a 20 year old seed that had been kept in a garage in a plastic jar, it grew and produced some very nice end product. I'm not entirely sure it would work that way if I tried again, but I have more seeds than I could ever grow in three lifetimes so it doesn't even phase me if one doesn't ever germinate.

Comment

I encourage people to never store seeds in the fridge or the freezer. Fact is, temperatures will fluctuate and that will create moisture. The desiccant will need to be changed and if you miss that, seeds are not going to like it. Keep them in a jar in a dark, climate controlled area of your house. I've used a bag, in a ball jar in a drawer and just popped 5 year old Dutch Treat seeds.

Comment

I've had hundreds of seeds in a plastic medicine bottle in a dresser drawer for years and have about a 75% germination rate. Haven't done anything but keep them out of direct light.

Comment

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          How long would you way the seeds remained viable? What would you estimate the germination rate to be?

I agree with all the above responders as far as storing seeds. I keep mine in small labeled plastic bead containers kept in a box in the dark. The fridge is for food and beer! Or your beverage of choice. I don't buy seeds, so forgive my naming. What's really in a name anyway? IMHO, It's either Indica, Sativa or a hybrid when you get right down to it. I have these going back for many years and they all still germinate. All are from the original seeds from the strains like GSC, Headband, Diesel, Train Wreck, Ooey Gooey and such from my fellow growers in Humboldt over the past 30 years. Now they're just the fruits of my labor. I breed for the traits I like and call them whatever suits me. Works for me, and I get no complaints!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seeds.png
Views:	367
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	447912
        Tie Your Mother Down! (Queen)

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I have 2 Mazars growing now, Mazzariman drop me an email I can send you some feminized MIS.

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          You guys are talking the good stuff

• WeirdWiredWolf
          WeirdWiredWolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooh, I like the bead container idea.

How many seeds are we talking about that you would consider buying a new refrigerator?

Probably not as many as in the following link, and you might not have room for this size fridge. Cruise down to 'Seed Storage' on the Contents list. Making a small, insulated container to live in your freezer would be simple. Anyway...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...t#Seed_storage
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          Not enough to justify a dedicated refrigerator in my case. That link looks great regardless!

Just a thought here but you could always put them in the vegetable drawers in your fridge. I don't really use mine so if I stored mine in the fridge, that's where they'd be. I have mine in a ziploc baggie on a dark shelf of a TV stand that I keep in my grow room. I have seeds in there that are probably about 5 years old and they still germinate fine.

Comment

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you encountered any issues doing so? How do you deal with &/ or protect against moisture fluctuations?

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't really do anything, just keep them there like they are. Haven't had any germination issues yet. Only issues I would encounter would be if I left the glass door open and my dogs got my seeds.

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know. Thanks!

I now keep mine in the fridge in ziplocks, used to keep them in jars until I went to use some and some damn little tinny bug had eaten them all. I have used seed seed that was 20 YO out of jars kept in a closet, did just fine too. I did loose a batch of seed, I put them in a medicine bottle, in just a few months all were dead! IDK what the med was, but I no longer save those bottles for reuse.

Comment

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! What's the germination rate for 20 year-old shelf-stored seeds? Also, have you encountered any issues storing seeds in the fridge, such as moisture/dehydration?

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I cheated and used chlorine to help them pop, I got 100%, and the fresh seed I only got 80% (I did not use the chlorine helper)

• MaxR
          MaxR commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting...

Looks like my fridge and house have too many temperature and humidity fluctuations to allow for proper long term storage. My deep chest freezer, on the other hand is quite reliable, so I may need to explore that option (down at the bottom of the -18 C freezer, mason jar with dessicant, etc.)
        Any tips or past experiences to share re: freezer storage?

Comment

I take my seeds, some are in the little bubble packs they come in, others are in very small zip lock bags (Stash bags?) I put them in a small square tupperware container and fill it with rice. Then I close the lid burp it and put it in the freezer. Have germinated seeds that were 4 yrs old, no problem. Just let them come to room temp before germinating. I change the rice out about every 6 months or so.

Comment

Thanks, magicman!

Comment

I either store seeds in soil or rapid rooters. I have long term storage problems with other aspects of this hobby.
              “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
              ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

• Mazzariman
                Mazzariman commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha, back in the 70's when times were tough, we'd crush up seeds and stems and smoke em! Nasty but it sure motivated us to go score something a little better. Most of the weed of the day was just that. A little better!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X