What's eating my auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's eating my auto?

Hi all, this is my first grow. I decided on autos because I can only do a greenhouse grow in Ireland with no electricity feed so no control on light/heat. So far all plants are doing well but this one (5 weeks after germination) is starting to get eaten. I've had a thriving veggie garden for years and am convinced it's caterpillars but can't find anything. Every day there's a tiny bit more eaten... any ideas on how to solve? Any advice appreciated, cheers!

I can't begin to guess on what is eating your plants, but Google Neem Oil.

It's organic and not harmful to humans or animals if used in the feeding water, or as a foliage spray. I've read that it can be harmful if you drink the concentrate, but who would do that!? And I believe it's adviced not to spray it on soon to be harvested buds. But you'll find all that info if you search for it.

The Neem Oil contains/creates an enzyme which will make the intruder unable to feed after digesting your plant after you've given it Neem Oil. So you'll have to let the guy "feast" one last time, but that will be his last time. After that he will starve to death.

Good luck to you!

- C

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Neem oil can be harmful to humans, dont spray it on buds Cocho

• Mle485
      Mle485 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, both. I've heard of Neem oil will check it out and use carefully.

You have yourself some sort of leaf eater. I'm thinking caterpillars. Although I don't know what sort of Irish leaf eaters you guys have. Look harder. Use a flashlight. Give your plants a good shake. Right after a dark period, look. A lot of nasties will do their work at night.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

It looks like classic caterpillar to me too. Apply some diatomaceous earth to the plant. The caterpillar will eat it and die in a couple days.

Comment

• quirk
        quirk commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually crucialbunny, DE kills by physical contact rather than ingestion. Not giving you a hard time, just keeping info accurate.

It doesn't look the same to me but I had this happen last year. Couldn't figure it out for the longest time because I never found anything. Went out one day to find a grasshopper sitting on my plant. Guess that's what it was the whole time. It's frustrating isn't it.

Comment

I too see grasshopper damage, or stink bug, but also some that may be caterpillar. I would spray with spinosad it is said to be safe to harvest, wont help with the hoppers all purpose flour can be spread around the area, the hoppers eat it, its wheat, but its ground and makes past which gums up there chompers. It will not kill all, chickens do a good job.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions... you guys are a really helpful lot! I'm gonna take a closer look with a torch tonight and hopefully catch the little bugger in action. If no luck it'll be off to the shop for spinosad or Neem oil (not flowering yet so should be ok). Update here if and when I've uncovered the problem.
          I'll be back in touch for help with harvest too 😀

Comment

Look for a slime trail all over could be a slug. If so, some cheap beer in a shallow lid will do the trick. Slug is attracted to the yeast and goes in to drink/eat and dies.

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, they melt away, sprinkle salt on them.

I use an Esco Black light to easily spot and remove pests on my grows. They fluoresce beautifully.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X